The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 10 August 2024, 12:30 AM   #1
Lkdub24
"TRF" Member

NWA: So I bought a Code

A Starwheel.

SW.jpg

Went in to add a half link to my wife's RO and was planning to just catch up with my SA. He asked if I was interested in the Starwheel and I said not really since it didn't look that enticing in photos...and pft it's a Code nobody likes Codes right? But to be fair I was actually considering asking for the smoked beige dial with steel and black ceramic case. Anyways, he went to the back and took out a demo piece for me to look at. I was sold.

SW Side.jpg

In person the watch just glimmers. Maybe its the white gold maybe its the blue aventurine or maybe its both. This is probably one of the top dials for the Code line up. However, I can do without the minute hand on this model and remove the minute track to get more real estate for that gorgeous aventurine dial.

The 41 case size was surprisingly not as big as I thought it would wear. I tried on the new 38 sizes and it looked awkwardly small.

Ended up swapping the stock black strap for a dark grey one. Didn't realize these Code rubber strap costs almost $600 until I went home and checked my statement lol. Definitely not a $600 strap...

SW Leica.jpg

Overall super happy with this pick up and it's definitely the most unique piece in my collection. Now just waiting for their 150th releases next year...heard they may release a rose gold one in the future which seems to confirm what others have been reporting.
Lkdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 12:52 AM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP/VC
This is on my list as the Code to get. Walking in for something else and getting a Starwheel is awesome. Wear it in good health!
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 01:10 AM   #3
grahammackay86
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Awesome unexpected pick up, the Starwheel is definitely one of the best Codes in the range. These are the best photos I've seen of it, enjoy in the best of health!
grahammackay86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 01:46 AM   #4
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Awesome watch, awesome pictures.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 05:15 AM   #5
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Can’t wait to see the RG version
In-N-Out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 06:00 AM   #6
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Congrats! That's fantastic that you got to buy this without asking for it. Enjoy!
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 07:19 AM   #7
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkdub24 View Post
A Starwheel.

Attachment 1451076

Went in to add a half link to my wife's RO and was planning to just catch up with my SA. He asked if I was interested in the Starwheel and I said not really since it didn't look that enticing in photos...and pft it's a Code nobody likes Codes right? But to be fair I was actually considering asking for the smoked beige dial with steel and black ceramic case. Anyways, he went to the back and took out a demo piece for me to look at. I was sold.

Attachment 1451077

In person the watch just glimmers. Maybe its the white gold maybe its the blue aventurine or maybe its both. This is probably one of the top dials for the Code line up. However, I can do without the minute hand on this model and remove the minute track to get more real estate for that gorgeous aventurine dial.

The 41 case size was surprisingly not as big as I thought it would wear. I tried on the new 38 sizes and it looked awkwardly small.

Ended up swapping the stock black strap for a dark grey one. Didn't realize these Code rubber strap costs almost $600 until I went home and checked my statement lol. Definitely not a $600 strap...

Attachment 1451078

Overall super happy with this pick up and it's definitely the most unique piece in my collection. Now just waiting for their 150th releases next year...heard they may release a rose gold one in the future which seems to confirm what others have been reporting.

Awesome piece! Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfang56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 09:28 AM   #8
shikashia
"TRF" Member

It looks bonkers! Thank you for sharing and congrats on the pickup!
shikashia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:21 AM   #9
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

The manner in which you got this starwheel…
Teach me… Master Yoda
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 11:39 AM   #10
Lkdub24
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the kind words fellas!

A lot of this had to do with timing. Seems like AP released a batch of starwheels recently and with the general economy doing poorly and the watch market not doing so hot I'm assuming it wasn't as easy to move a piece in this price range.

My SA did tell me that he still had to get "approval" before he could let me take the watch so I picked it up about 2 weeks after I sized my wife's RO. There may be some truth to asking for approval but I also think it's to make it feel like it's still some what challenging to get certain pieces.
Old 10 August 2024, 08:34 PM   #11
lucasalce
"TRF" Member

its such a nice piece, congrats.
I wonder how a rose gold version would pop differently vs the white gold.
lucasalce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2024, 10:05 PM   #12
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 04:05 AM   #13
mazai
"TRF" Member

Beautiful piece
mazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 01:47 PM   #14
Dylbo
"TRF" Member

What on earth is your purchase history to get that as a walk in? I asked about it this weekend and was told it's still hard.
Dylbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 02:21 PM   #15
Lkdub24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasalce View Post
its such a nice piece, congrats.
I wonder how a rose gold version would pop differently vs the white gold.
Should be pretty nice, hopefully not too nice or I may regret getting it in white gold hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations.
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazai View Post
Beautiful piece
Sure is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbo View Post
What on earth is your purchase history to get that as a walk in? I asked about it this weekend and was told it's still hard.
ROO --> ROC Panda --> RO White --> wife's RO --> Jumbo --> SW

True or not, SA told me the SW production numbers are quite low overall, they only expect single digit deliveries in a year. Hope this helps.
Old 11 August 2024, 05:10 PM   #16
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Nice complication - shame it was put in the code. I would have stuck to the old version, much better looking than this.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 06:26 PM   #17
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Nice complication - shame it was put in the code. I would have stuck to the old version, much better looking than this.
I love this more.
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 06:27 PM   #18
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Should be pretty nice, hopefully not too nice or I may regret getting it in white gold hahaha

Thank you sir

Sure is

ROO --> ROC Panda --> RO White --> wife's RO --> Jumbo --> SW

True or not, SA told me the SW production numbers are quite low overall, they only expect single digit deliveries in a year. Hope this helps.
wow ! which country is this?
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:50 PM   #19
Palex
"TRF" Member

I also own one. love it, it is the most exeptional watch in my "collection"
Palex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 11:35 PM   #20
Lkdub24
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I must say the older version is much more elegant. If AP ever re-releases the older starwheel in a larger case such as a 39 and had the hand engravings I would be spamming my SA to get one. Maybe it can be part of their remastered line in the future. But for now I am perfectly happy with the Code iteration.
Old 11 August 2024, 11:41 PM   #21
Lkdub24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post
wow ! which country is this?
I'll just say I'm based out in Asia. I also browsed through your starwheel posts prior to picking up the watch.
Old 12 August 2024, 12:04 AM   #22
Lkdub24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
I also own one. love it, it is the most exeptional watch in my "collection"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 August 2024, 02:38 AM   #23
EyeoftheTiger
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch, congrats
EyeoftheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 01:01 PM   #24
iten
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I must say the older version is much more elegant. If AP ever re-releases the older starwheel in a larger case such as a 39 and had the hand engravings I would be spamming my SA to get one. Maybe it can be part of their remastered line in the future. But for now I am perfectly happy with the Code iteration.
This version is so much more legible than the code version. The markings are so small on the code, I can only read it when it's on the 5 minutes marker...
iten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 02:45 PM   #25
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The new CODE Starwheel looks more classy due to the aventurine dial. This older Starwheel's overall design is elegant but the 3 rotating discs looks abit "plastic".
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 02:47 PM   #26
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We pretty much get it. You just hate any CODE, all CODE. I assume most of us, if not all, already know it by heart.
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 04:37 PM   #27
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octagon Guy View Post
We pretty much get it. You just hate any CODE, all CODE. I assume most of us, if not all, already know it by heart.
Did i make it that obvious? :P
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote