The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 August 2024, 09:36 PM   #1
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Registering AP Watches/History

Hey, does registering my AP watches that I purchased in the 'grey' market help with building any credibility at a boutique to get any better allocations in the 'long' run? I gave it one more shot with my local boutique and explained to them that I purchased a decent amount in the 'grey' and the SA was more receptive this time... (who would have thought lol). He said it didn't help too much though and that I would still need to start with a Code or Offshore. Any ideas if my next piece after those 'starter' watches could be anything 'good' based on my grey market watches registered on my account or does it not really assist? Or option B - am I wasting my time and should stick to grey market?
PAFG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:15 PM   #2
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

If I wanted a predominantly AP collection, I would have no problem being told what to buy and happily enjoy the journey.

Since I opted for a more brand diverse collection, I chose to go grey with AP to get what I wanted and redirected the money I would spent on Code/Offshore to other brands.

I would use this as a point to make some decisions about your watch collecting journey.
Pw92676 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:23 PM   #3
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Define "anything good"...
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2024, 10:51 PM   #4
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
If I wanted a predominantly AP collection, I would have no problem being told what to buy and happily enjoy the journey.

Since I opted for a more brand diverse collection, I chose to go grey with AP to get what I wanted and redirected the money I would spent on Code/Offshore to other brands.

I would use this as a point to make some decisions about your watch collecting journey.
Fair point
Old 11 August 2024, 10:52 PM   #5
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Define "anything good"...
Royal oak tourbs, skeletons, jumbo, etc.
Old 12 August 2024, 01:13 AM   #6
Napaswar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFG View Post
Royal oak tourbs, skeletons, jumbo, etc.
Those pieces may need multiple purchases from the boutique. If you aim for one and done tourb, skeleton or jumbo, going grey would save your time and budget. It took me 3 years to get Jumbo and 5 years for skeleton with amounts of offshore and code.
Napaswar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 01:21 AM   #7
APhound
"TRF" Member

I think you could build up to those watches in a reasonable time frame, maybe 2-3 years but the problem for you might be keeping all the watches you buy along the way from them. If you sell anything within two years it’s going to really set you back.
I’d prob just go grey- get it when you want it- sell it when you want to- premiums aren’t that bad..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 02:52 AM   #8
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napaswar View Post
Those pieces may need multiple purchases from the boutique. If you aim for one and done tourb, skeleton or jumbo, going grey would save your time and budget. It took me 3 years to get Jumbo and 5 years for skeleton with amounts of offshore and code.

Yea, that's a given for sure. How many offshores and codes did they 'make' you get before you got any of those harder to acquire pieces? and did you sell any of them or are still holding?
Old 12 August 2024, 03:17 AM   #9
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Yea, that's a given for sure. How many offshores and codes did they 'make' you get before you got any of those harder to acquire pieces? and did you sell any of them or are still holding?
I’ve never bought anything I didn’t want, or had it implied that I needed to. I’ve had a 16202 so it’s realistic.

If your posting style is similar to how you’d chat to them, I’ve a feeling they’ll suss that you’re just buying to get harder pieces.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 03:45 AM   #10
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I’ve never bought anything I didn’t want, or had it implied that I needed to. I’ve had a 16202 so it’s realistic.

If your posting style is similar to how you’d chat to them, I’ve a feeling they’ll suss that you’re just buying to get harder pieces.

So how many pieces did you 'have' to get before that jumbo?
Old 12 August 2024, 04:07 AM   #11
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
So how many pieces did you 'have' to get before that jumbo?
I got a white dial 15500, then a taupe offshore, then a 15510 blue dial 50th anniversary and last year a rose gold chrono. I didn’t ’have” to get any of them. They were all my choice. I was very surprised to get the blue 15510 at the time as I thought it wouldn’t happen - I’m sure AP know I genuinely love my watches and that must have helped.

They have always been fantastic to deal with on every level.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:33 AM   #12
The_Collector$
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey, does registering my AP watches that I purchased in the 'grey' market help with building any credibility at a boutique to get any better allocations in the 'long' run? I gave it one more shot with my local boutique and explained to them that I purchased a decent amount in the 'grey' and the SA was more receptive this time... (who would have thought lol). He said it didn't help too much though and that I would still need to start with a Code or Offshore. Any ideas if my next piece after those 'starter' watches could be anything 'good' based on my grey market watches registered on my account or does it not really assist? Or option B - am I wasting my time and should stick to grey market?
Registering will notify AD that previous owner sold this watch. I wouldn't do it personally.
The_Collector$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 02:00 AM   #13
Lkdub24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Collector$ View Post
Registering will notify AD that previous owner sold this watch. I wouldn't do it personally.

Why not? Especially if there was no safe sale agreement?
Lkdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 02:08 AM   #14
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I''m still a bit unclear what the future of APs "coverage service" is, but not registering the watch under your name means forgoing a benefit that's worth several $k for one of the more expensive models (comparing to typical insurance rates).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
Old 14 August 2024, 02:55 AM   #15
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dont care about the previous owner lmao. It's their problem that they wanted to flip these watches.
Old 14 August 2024, 06:25 AM   #16
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I dont care about the previous owner lmao. It's their problem that they wanted to flip these watches.
It wont help you either .. got the info from my SA.
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:00 PM   #17
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salnuaimi View Post
It wont help you either .. got the info from my SA.
Exactly, new SA or boutique won’t care. You can have a dozen Codes from
buying grey market and they still won’t be able to allocate you a hard to get piece simply because you’re not a client of theirs.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 11:02 PM   #18
Octagon Guy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn't think twice about registering. Legally, the watch is mine. Why should I protect the previous owner and absorb any risk myself?
Octagon Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 02:38 AM   #19
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
If your posting style is similar to how you’d chat to them,
You concluded that sentence differently than I thought you were going to
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 02:48 AM   #20
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
I have 3 registered APs in my profile with 1 of them bought in the grey market.

Last visit with my SA he mentioned that I have 3 APs now so we can try for a Jumbo. So it must contribute somewhat.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 02:51 AM   #21
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Well unless you want to look at your collection or see if people you sold your watch to have taken ownership of them, it’s not much use. I only have one registered currently and they didn’t give me a call to congratulate me.

Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 03:04 AM   #22
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Well unless you want to look at your collection or see if people you sold your watch to have taken ownership of them, it’s not much use. I only have one registered currently and they didn’t give me a call to congratulate me.

Quite the upgrade.
Old 15 August 2024, 03:35 AM   #23
PAFG
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've been looking for this RO. If you want to sell, shoot me a dm. Only interested if it's complete set.
Old 15 August 2024, 04:47 AM   #24
Lkdub24
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That dial must look insane in person. Sick.
Lkdub24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 03:00 PM   #25
MCD974
"TRF" Member

Hello all,
I currently have a good collection with AP (9 pieces), with nearly all of them acquired from a boutique.
I’m hearing here and there that boutiques « frown upon » customers getting watches from the grey market if they’re available in the current catalogue. Has anyone experienced that?
Just asking to make sure I’m not potentially hurting my changes to obtain more hard-to-get pieces (eg 15407st).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MCD974 is offline   Reply With Quote