The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 August 2024, 03:57 AM   #241
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
When was it? What year did Omega produce SEL and full links ?
I can't point to an exact year or reference, but I'll get an answer for you shortly. If memory serves me right, Omega has had SEL since at least the mid '90s.
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 04:48 PM   #242
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

I’ve never liked any Omega enough to purchase one, although I am definitely considering buying a white dial Speedmaster once they are widely available. I think it’s a stunning watch.

I don’t doubt Omega and Rolex are of similar quality (I don’t know enough about the movements to fully comment). My issue with Omega is the countless versions of any particular watch they produce. Also, they seem to change the style of each model relatively frequently and often not in a subtle way. I can’t say I’m a fan of the MoonSwatch watches either.

Another issue that bothers me, but shouldn’t, is their Bond and Olympic themed watches. I personally think they cheapen the brand. Their apparent preference for Hollywood stars as ambassadors doesn’t do much for me either.

Also just my opinion of course and no offence intended.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 07:32 PM   #243
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Is Rolex THAT much better than Omega?

Second post to this thread. Someone else mentioned the push button date setting. Funny how I tried to set the date and forgot about it. It took a minute to realize, oh, that's right, I need the tool. Kind of inconvenient.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 08:46 PM   #244
Seo
"TRF" Member

Collector of both brands I prefer Omega as a brand but Rolex make far more watches that fit my wrist.

Also my cousin and I have been affected by a few 32xx issues.

I don’t see one brand as being better than the other
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2024, 08:59 PM   #245
Mystro
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Play View Post
I’ve never liked any Omega enough to purchase one, although I am definitely considering buying a white dial Speedmaster once they are widely available. I think it’s a stunning watch.

I don’t doubt Omega and Rolex are of similar quality (I don’t know enough about the movements to fully comment). My issue with Omega is the countless versions of any particular watch they produce. Also, they seem to change the style of each model relatively frequently and often not in a subtle way. I can’t say I’m a fan of the MoonSwatch watches either.

Another issue that bothers me, but shouldn’t, is their Bond and Olympic themed watches. I personally think they cheapen the brand. Their apparent preference for Hollywood stars as ambassadors doesn’t do much for me either.

Also just my opinion of course and no offence intended.
I think Omega way over plays these models. The product placement in the Bond movies is cool but that is enough. To constantly promote specific Bond watches is low rent and feels like a McDonald’s move. It defeats the coolness of the product placement if you have to constantly bring it up outside the movie. I loved the Goldeneye placement. I am not sure who the Olympic watches appeal to??? Omega makes a fantastic product, but they aren’t savvy enough on how they market their watches to keep them upscale. This is where Rolex is the master as they just give a little wink or nod and that is enough to show how cool they are.
Old 13 August 2024, 02:03 AM   #246
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I think Omega way over plays these models. The product placement in the Bond movies is cool but that is enough. To constantly promote specific Bond watches is low rent and feels like a McDonald’s move. It defeats the coolness of the product placement if you have to constantly bring it up outside the movie. I loved the Goldeneye placement. I am not sure who the Olympic watches appeal to??? Omega makes a fantastic product, but they aren’t savvy enough on how they market their watches to keep them upscale. This is where Rolex is the master as they just give a little wink or nod and that is enough to show how cool they are.

It definitely seems like over the years of being involved with Bond Omega shifted from product placement to actual designed for the film pieces. It was what, just the last 2? Spectre and NTTD that got official releases right?

I think designed for is a great path. However, product placement would be good too if they didn’t dilute it with special editions too like the many 007 pieces that did not appear in films. So I agree, they can’t seem to pick a path!

The recent blue anniversary piece was cool, I think 50 years is a nice thing to commemorate and that design was subtle, so it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 05:11 AM   #247
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Agree with the posts above - stamping Bond logos etc with lots of special editions is too much and puts me off. And I don’t get the olympics ones.

I’m not sure if it was omega or Daniel Craig but they got it right for me with The Knives Out series - Craig’s character was wearing a nice looking omega appropriate for his character and it was put in a few shots and done in a way that encouraged me to go and research and look at the watch.

And equipping athletes with titanium lightweight models was also a good move - made me interested and got me to research them. (Until I saw the price!)

But I’d still buy Rolex or omega - I own both and so far all perfect. I just prefer more subtle marketing and branding.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 06:05 AM   #248
spinnaker226
"TRF" Member

Ive had an SMP Diver 300M with flat blue dial as a daily for the past few years and love it (even though i wanted a submariner, i couldn't afford it at the time). Ive had no issues with the watch other than a pressure pin in the clasp that needed replacement.
I'm now waiting for the call on a 124060 Sub. Both are probably the most basic and cheapest models offered, but I like them for what they are and they actually fit my lifestyle living at the coast and spending a good amount of time exposed to saltwater while fishing and freediving/snorkling throughout the year.
I've been recently looking at a few offerings from Seiko to wear for work mostly due to perception in my work environment. I honestly don't care personally, but etiquette is a reality in corporate life and I don't want to be known as "the guy with X amount of spend on watches" if that makes any sense. Sometimes, reading the room can be more beneficial in the long run.
spinnaker226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 08:11 PM   #249
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
IF you say rolex better than omega then patek is better than rolex
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 03:17 AM   #250
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
It's very feasible that the plastic bag was made in Thailand no?
No, it is a small plastic bag that had an OMEGA label with item code and country of manufacturer printed on the label, which was Thailand.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 03:41 AM   #251
Barbara_C
"TRF" Member

Its all in what you perceive as"better" 60 plus years ago Omega was thought of as the "better watch" example NASA went with Omega to the Moon.
JFK had a gold Omega ....Mrs Monroe gave him a gold Rolex with Love always on the back which he told a staff member to get rid of it.
LBJ wore a gold Rolex as did Ike which was a gift from the man himself.
Patton had a gold Patek pocket watch he got after grad West Point.
Moving forward to today from all I have read lots of "experts" give Omega the nod movement wise.
I would say you are safe buying any of the above brands.
In my small collection the one that keeps the best time would be an Omega AT.
Barbara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 03:45 AM   #252
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

Better marketing, distribution and model segmentation. Not sure the watch quality is better, likely not.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 05:11 AM   #253
43Airking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Next one
Yes
43Airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 10:30 AM   #254
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara_C View Post
JFK had a gold Omega ....Mrs Monroe gave him a gold Rolex with Love always on the back which he told a staff member to get rid of
Lol smart husband
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 12:27 PM   #255
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Second post to this thread. Someone else mentioned the push button date setting. Funny how I tried to set the date and forgot about it. It took a minute to realize, oh, that's right, I need the tool. Kind of inconvenient.

It was me!

You’re the first person I’ve seen who also owns that watch. I’ve been wanting to talk to someone who has one since I got mine!

First and most importantly, is your rotor pretty loud? I can hear and feel mine quite a bit compared to Rolex, Tudor, and the Planet Ocean I had. More comparable to my Panerai.

Second, how do you like it overall? Although I’ve never held a Daytona I actually prefer the aesthetics of that Omega. I find it to be the perfect combination of classic and modern design.

Mine runs about +6/day so pretty accurate too though my Sub and Tudors are much better.

What are your thoughts?

Old 14 August 2024, 01:04 PM   #256
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesnerelli23 View Post
It was me!

You’re the first person I’ve seen who also owns that watch. I’ve been wanting to talk to someone who has one since I got mine!

First and most importantly, is your rotor pretty loud? I can hear and feel mine quite a bit compared to Rolex, Tudor, and the Planet Ocean I had. More comparable to my Panerai.

Second, how do you like it overall? Although I’ve never held a Daytona I actually prefer the aesthetics of that Omega. I find it to be the perfect combination of classic and modern design.

Mine runs about +6/day so pretty accurate too though my Sub and Tudors are much better.

What are your thoughts?

Omega doesn’t use pushers on these or their moonphase anymore. It’s all quickset from the crown, which is pretty amazing!

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:16 PM   #257
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
Omega doesn’t use pushers on these or their moonphase anymore. It’s all quickset from the crown, which is pretty amazing!

I wish I could do the Moonphase, it’s one of my favorite Omega pieces. Unfortunately, I can’t really go over 40mm with my skinny wrists lol.

Beautiful watch!

Old 14 August 2024, 03:12 PM   #258
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wish I could do the Moonphase, it’s one of my favorite Omega pieces. Unfortunately, I can’t really go over 40mm with my skinny wrists lol.

Beautiful watch!

Thank you. Totally understand. I think these 44.25mm Speedy wear more like a 42mm and the 42mm Speedy Moonwatch wear more like 39-40. Still, the Moonphase is a thick watch for sure.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 03:48 PM   #259
Talon84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was me!

What are your thoughts?

I had the same watch. And yes the rotor is loud because they use the 7753 unidirectional valjoux ‘wobbler movement’, rather than the rotor winding the watch in bith directions it has a brake so the rotor only goes in one direction which increases winding efficiency…..JLC do the same thing, but it leads to the watch rotor feeling like it has a ‘wobble’ when on your wrist.

I kinda like it though, feels like a little heartbeat and reminds you that youre wearing something mechanical
Talon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 08:20 PM   #260
RavingMoonatic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m just curious what people here think, design language aside. And I know this gets discussed in other threads but I wanted to start one concise thread about it.

I feel like, usually, resale value dictates how a product is perceived in quality. Most “men’s” Rolex can fetch 100% MSRP or better in used condition. Some may fall to like 80% but even that is WAY better than any other product I can think of.

Omega on the other hand drops around 50% or more. And, one can even find discount on brand new pieces.

The Bond seamasters are just as recognizable to collectors as Rolex models. The Speedmaster has a very high regard. And there are many more Omega pieces with history and prevalence in the community.

So my overall question is, what’s up with that? Isn’t the quality comparable? ETC…

I have a 40mm Speedy Racing and I had a Planet Ocean. Both extremely accurate and had, maybe, better finishing than the Rolexes I have. Very impressive.

What do you all think? Is it just a marketing thing? Is Rolex better for quality and longevity?

From a purely technical standpoint, I don't think there's a HUGE divide between Rolex and Omega in terms of horology. They're both trusted companies with quality movements that produce phenomenal watches. They diverge a bit in terms of bracelets, as I think Rolex has a better quality (and much more comfortable) one in that regard.

That' my personal opinion mind you. When it comes to longevity, you're going to see offerings again from both companies out there and available for decades of further use.

Resale value? I honestly don't care about it because I don't buy watches to resell them. I've got the same dive watch I bought when I got my open water certification 29 years ago.

With ALL that being said, I'm currently sporting an 116400GV in Z-Blue because it's one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen, period. The funny part about this thread in particular is the next watch I'm considering: an Omega Railmaster.

I think back when Rolex was marketing their products (back when people read magazines and what not) they were the best to ever do it. These days the crown is prominently placed in conspicuous places and that's enough. Omega has made some serious strides with their 007 campaign and what not, but I think that whole "Moon Swatch" nonsense is hurting their brand. That's my .02 anyway.
RavingMoonatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 12:39 AM   #261
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon84 View Post
I had the same watch. And yes the rotor is loud because they use the 7753 unidirectional valjoux ‘wobbler movement’, rather than the rotor winding the watch in bith directions it has a brake so the rotor only goes in one direction which increases winding efficiency…..JLC do the same thing, but it leads to the watch rotor feeling like it has a ‘wobble’ when on your wrist.

I kinda like it though, feels like a little heartbeat and reminds you that youre wearing something mechanical

Thanks so much for that explanation!

I actually like it as well. Just wanted to make sure there wasn’t an issue going on.

Old 15 August 2024, 08:44 AM   #262
jmgorman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMoonatic View Post
With ALL that being said, I'm currently sporting an 116400GV in Z-Blue because it's one of the most beautiful watches I've ever seen, period. The funny part about this thread in particular is the next watch I'm considering: an Omega Railmaster.
My first-gen coaxial Railmaster never fails to turn heads among Rolex fans. They always ask, "why didn't you get an Explorer?" but upon handling it, almost always agree with me that it is better scaled and executed than any of the modern Explorers.
jmgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 04:42 PM   #263
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Is Rolex THAT much better than Omega?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majidessa View Post
Well no, few years ago I got a half link for my Omega PO Chrono from the Omega Boutique and the plastic bag that housed the links had made in Thialand printed on it along with the bar code and Omega Logo.

Also there are long threads in other watch forums about this issue, so it is up to you to believe or not.

Sorry but I believe to my mendacious eyes . A real Omega package does not have any “made in” signs of production, and I’ve got plenty of straps and deployants. And the counterfeit has to show that it is “a honest copy” and not a fake. While it is.

Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 05:08 PM   #264
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
Sorry but I believe to my mendacious eyes . A real Omega package does not have any “made in” signs of production, and I’ve got plenty of straps and deployants. And the counterfeit has to show that it is “a honest copy” and not a fake. While it is.

My friend belive what you like, the half link was ordered by my OFFICIAL AD and took 3 weeks to deliver. The small plastic bag came with OMEGA label, bar code, and country of manufacturer which in this case was Thailand.

By the way I own 3 modern Omegas in addition to vintage ones as well, a PO Chrono 9300, Speedmaster 1861, and Diver 300 latest generation, so I think I know Omega quite well!
Old 29 August 2024, 05:24 PM   #265
Nyl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My friend belive what you like, the half link was ordered by my OFFICIAL AD and took 3 weeks to deliver. The small plastic bag came with OMEGA label, bar code, and country of manufacturer which in this case was Thailand.

By the way I own 3 modern Omegas in addition to vintage ones as well, a PO Chrono 9300, Speedmaster 1861, and Diver 300 latest generation, so I think I know Omega quite well!
Omega (same as a lot of other watch brands) is making a lot of their metal bracelets in Asia (China/Thailand), so that doesn't surprise me.
A metal bracelet is extremely expensive when it's really made in Switzerland.

And you also need to take into account that the bracelet is not part of the "60% of the value" needed for the "Swiss Made" label. That's an additional reason why a lot of brands are making them in Asia. But believe me, the quality of parts made in Asia are identical to parts made in Switzerland; sometimes it's even better...
Nyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 05:55 PM   #266
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This means that your AD makes a little extra income on the side

Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2024, 06:09 PM   #267
majidessa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
This means that your AD makes a little extra income on the side

Hmmm an AD that sells PP, AP ...etc would make a profit from half links. Fortunately, I did not pay for half links, they were free of charge as ordering half links for new watches was free back then in 2014 as per Omega policy. I'm not sure what the policy is now.
Old 30 August 2024, 02:09 AM   #268
Berry Lannom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT IIc & DJ
I have a Rolex GMT 2 and an Omega Planet Ocean. Both have ceramic bezels and are great quality watches. I love the Omega, but there is just something extra special about the Rolex.
Berry Lannom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 02:52 AM   #269
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Logic notwithstanding there is nothing made by Omega that appeals to me other than the Speedmaster which I own but hardly wear. Believe me, I have tried to want Omegas. I always grab what I want to wear the most in the morning without thinking about it and it’s almost always a Rolex. Anymore whenever I consider buying a watch I always ask myself, no matter how bad I think I want it, if I will wear it instead of what I already have. I’ve reached a point where the answer is almost always No. I’ve saved myself a lot of money this way.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 02:56 AM   #270
Talon84
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
Logic notwithstanding there is nothing made by Omega that appeals to me other than the Speedmaster which I own but hardly wear. Believe me, I have tried to want Omegas. I always grab what I want to wear the most in the morning without thinking about it and it’s almost always a Rolex. Anymore when I consider buying a watch I always ask myself if I will wear it instead of what I already have. I’ve reached a point where the answer is almost always No. I’ve saved myself a lot of money this way.
Funny, ive reached the same point with my watch journey, my Omega Constellation is a perfect daily driver…..i keep wanting to buy an explorer, OP or datejust but my Conny is too perfect to part part with and dont see what those 3 rolexs would give in return
Talon84 is offline   Reply With Quote