The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 August 2024, 07:42 PM   #61
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Loved my Milgauss! Sometimes if you love something you need to let it go; if it comes back than it was meant to be. I do miss it.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 08:59 PM   #62
Willem
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
Any advice on this please? :)
The end links are thicker/higher than a regular oyster bracelet. If you're really serious you could try to get an original AirKing 116900 bracelet, those come brushed from the factory and fit the 116400(GV) case perfectly.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2024, 09:14 PM   #63
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Evr, SUB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissimons View Post
Maybe Rolex will make a new Milgauss someday :-)
There really is no longer a need for a Milgauss since the anti-magnetic ability is done via the parachrom spring and other parts in the watches now so you no longer need the Iron Faraday cage in the watch. That change makes the watch less heavy and not as tall on your wrist...
911991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 12:34 PM   #64
ColoradoTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
There really is no longer a need for a Milgauss since the anti-magnetic ability is done via the parachrom spring and other parts in the watches now so you no longer need the Iron Faraday cage in the watch. That change makes the watch less heavy and not as tall on your wrist...

There’s really no need for a mechanical watch when you get down to it…. But we are all here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ColoradoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 01:48 PM   #65
Polyesterpig
"TRF" Member

The white dial is the rarest dial, but I like the blue.
Old 14 August 2024, 07:03 PM   #66
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Milgauss

Quote:
Hi everyone a question... I want to replace the Milgauss Z blue PCL bracelet with a brushed steel Oyster bracelet. Would a regular Oyster bracelet fit on it? Or what specific size do I need?
Why dont you just get your PCL bracelet brushed.
Old 14 August 2024, 07:11 PM   #67
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGHOST1 View Post
Why dont you just get your PCL bracelet brushed.
Because im worried that after brushing it wont be returnable back to its original condition. Are my fears unfounded?
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 08:57 PM   #68
xrole
"TRF" Member

Well everyone I received my Milgauss Z Blue today and wow its a BEAUTY! The dial in reality looks to me like a 'teal green' colour rather than an 'electric blue'. The green sapphire crystal is super cool, although I notice that if you look at the dial face on that it slightly mutes/fades the colour of the dial vs when you view from a side angle, which then makes the dial appears brighter. The orange lightning seconds hand is a very nicely contrasting flash of orange going around the dial and the orange markers are very unintrusive.

The case thickness is just fine, I of course know it's objectively thicker but it doesn't look or feel noticeably thicker than my OP/Explorer while on my wrist. The PCL bracelet is actually not as obnoxious as I thought it was going to be, which makes sense as its pretty slim. I do need to get another link put in though as it's squeezing me a bit, hah.

As I build my small collection I am finding that I am really gravitating to more understated watch designs (eg: not blingy like the SkyD etc) with either timeless styling or with some uniqueness and character, and this to me, as with all Oyster-based models, really fits the bill for uniqueness and character.

One of the most surprising things is that also, despite the value of the watch being properly stated on the package invoice (I checked, it really was), I only paid 55 EUR (60USD) import duty! I have no idea why that's all I was charged, but it means I got this watch for a pretty fair price in the current grey market for a Milgauss Z Blue 2021 with box and papers in very good to like new condition.

I am very happy I decided to add this to my collection and I will take some photos later but I just wanted to get my thoughts on paper now.
Old 14 August 2024, 10:08 PM   #69
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyesterpig View Post
The white dial is the rarest dial, but I like the blue.
White dial 2007-2016 = 9 years
Z Blue 2014-2023 = 9 years

Z Blue has the GV green glass which makes it unique.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 10:41 PM   #70
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
White dial 2007-2016 = 9 years
Z Blue 2014-2023 = 9 years

Z Blue has the GV green glass which makes it unique.
I know Rolex does not release production numbers.But when the white was produced,there were 3 models, white, black, and GV. (Mostly, the black was discontinued before the white. So technically the non GV Black had the shortest production run.)

With 3 models produced, I would think the production numbers proportionally for the white dial would be less over the 9 years compared the blue. But that's just a guess. Or Rolex could have produced equal amounts of each dial and more overall watches, but probably not as it never was a great seller.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 11:17 PM   #71
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
I know Rolex does not release production numbers.But when the white was produced,there were 3 models, white, black, and GV. (Mostly, the black was discontinued before the white. So technically the non GV Black had the shortest production run.)

With 3 models produced, I would think the production numbers proportionally for the white dial would be less over the 9 years compared the blue. But that's just a guess. Or Rolex could have produced equal amounts of each dial and more overall watches, but probably not as it never was a great seller.
Yes non GV Black 2007-2013 = 6 years

The main reason the Z Blue is the most sought after modern Milgauss is the GV green glass, and it's contrast with the blue dial, Rolex will not do this again most probably. The number of years produced compared to black or let's say rarity is not the main factor. Future collectability is Z Blue, White dial non GV, then others in my opinion.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2024, 11:49 PM   #72
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
it's a nice watch no doubt about it, just that it doesn't sit well in the rolex lineup and slowly fading away
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 01:00 AM   #73
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manamana View Post
Yes non GV Black 2007-2013 = 6 years

The main reason the Z Blue is the most sought after modern Milgauss is the GV green glass, and it's contrast with the blue dial, Rolex will not do this again most probably. The number of years produced compared to black or let's say rarity is not the main factor. Future collectability is Z Blue, White dial non GV, then others in my opinion.
I'd agree. Sought after vs "limited" or amount produced is different. Less non GV black and white produced, but people want the blue.

Blue version is truly an amazing piece.. Wish I had one.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 11:30 AM   #74
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Well everyone I received my Milgauss Z Blue today and wow its a BEAUTY! The dial in reality looks to me like a 'teal green' colour rather than an 'electric blue'. The green sapphire crystal is super cool, although I notice that if you look at the dial face on that it slightly mutes/fades the colour of the dial vs when you view from a side angle, which then makes the dial appears brighter. The orange lightning seconds hand is a very nicely contrasting flash of orange going around the dial and the orange markers are very unintrusive.

The case thickness is just fine, I of course know it's objectively thicker but it doesn't look or feel noticeably thicker than my OP/Explorer while on my wrist. The PCL bracelet is actually not as obnoxious as I thought it was going to be, which makes sense as its pretty slim. I do need to get another link put in though as it's squeezing me a bit, hah.

As I build my small collection I am finding that I am really gravitating to more understated watch designs (eg: not blingy like the SkyD etc) with either timeless styling or with some uniqueness and character, and this to me, as with all Oyster-based models, really fits the bill for uniqueness and character.

One of the most surprising things is that also, despite the value of the watch being properly stated on the package invoice (I checked, it really was), I only paid 55 EUR (60USD) import duty! I have no idea why that's all I was charged, but it means I got this watch for a pretty fair price in the current grey market for a Milgauss Z Blue 2021 with box and papers in very good to like new condition.

I am very happy I decided to add this to my collection and I will take some photos later but I just wanted to get my thoughts on paper now.

Really like the z-blue milgauss. I would say it’s pretty damn flashy though!
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2024, 11:54 AM   #75
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:

Congrats! We need pictures. Always enjoy looking at the Milgauss. It’s a great looking watch. If I had more space in the collection I would definitely still have it.
Old 15 August 2024, 02:59 PM   #76
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
it's a nice watch no doubt about it, just that it doesn't sit well in the rolex lineup and slowly fading away
This seems like a rhetorical statement as we already know its been retired since 2023 and is now becoming a collectors piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Really like the z-blue milgauss. I would say it’s pretty damn flashy though!
It's not "bling" though, imo. I also have a Sky Dweller and its FAR more blingy than the Z Blue, so much so that I do not like to wear it and now want to sell it. The PCL bracelet is the only thing that really "stands out" on the Z blue, the dial and green sapphire are of course noticeable if you really look, but also somewhat subtle in presence.

With a brushed bracelet, the Z Blue would imo be a perfect watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Daytona View Post
Congrats! We need pictures. Always enjoy looking at the Milgauss. It’s a great looking watch. If I had more space in the collection I would definitely still have it.
Thanks, I just need to get the bracelet adjusted before i take some wrist pics as its too small and pinches like hell.
Old 16 August 2024, 03:55 AM   #77
Loujo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
But that's the point of mechanical watches. You are buying something that was designed to serve a very specific function from the bygone era, even if it is totally obsolete.
Loujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2024, 04:57 AM   #78
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loujo View Post
But that's the point of mechanical watches. You are buying something that was designed to serve a very specific function from the bygone era, even if it is totally obsolete.
Apart from loving it and wanting one, I bought mine partly because when I was in research in the 80s which included working with strong magnetic fields, the 1019 would have been my watch of choice but I couldn't possibly afford one. It might have been obsolete even then, but as you say, that wasn't the point.
Harry-57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 08:58 AM   #79
MannyMann
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
Probably the coolest looking white dial none-date Rolex I have ever seen.
+1
The white dial Milgauss is the best I've seen and I love it.
MannyMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 08:07 PM   #80
dk65
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Taking this a step further... just get an Apple Watch? Tells time perfectly, much less expensive.
dk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2024, 08:18 PM   #81
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Yet you have an Air King?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2024, 11:50 PM   #82
xrole
"TRF" Member

I found a fascinating article on how Rolex make the green crystal on the Milgauss. Spoiler: they spent a crapton of time and money developing it and didn't even bother to patent it because it's that difficult to produce! https://www.watchaffinity.co.uk/blog...phire-crystal/

Honestly, the green glass makes this model truly unique in the entire watchmaking world and that for me makes it very appealing as I like things that feel more individual. I think even after a week of ownership that it may already be my favourite watch in my small collection, it has really connected with me. Sure, the OP39 white and Explorer are timeless classics, and the SkyD is also unique, but this Z blue oozes a character and charm that none of the other watches have!

Old 24 August 2024, 03:33 AM   #83
Flipmarine2k
"TRF" Member

I had the Z-blue which i loved the dial. ultimately with the dimensions, it is just a little TOO thick for a 3 hander. Also, my first Rolex had the same dimensions which was the 116900 Airking which i sold after 2 years. I realized how thick these were after acquiring and wearing other Rolex sports models. I now have 2 Op's a 36 and a 41 which i prefer the dimensions more.
👑: 16750 GMT Master, 16710-GMT Master II, 126713 GMT-Master II. 16622- Yachtmaster, 18038 Day-Date, 116000 OP Red Grape, 16570 Explorer II Polar, 216570 Exp II- Black, 124060 Submariner, 16610LV Kermit, 116523 White Panda Racing Dial, 126234 DJ jubilee fluted blue motif, Omega SMPc Tokyo, speedy 1861 Sapphire. Speedy 3861 White Dial. Cartier: WSSA0037 Santos ADLC Grey
Flipmarine2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2024, 03:05 PM   #84
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmarine2k View Post
I had the Z-blue which i loved the dial. ultimately with the dimensions, it is just a little TOO thick for a 3 hander. Also, my first Rolex had the same dimensions which was the 116900 Airking which i sold after 2 years. I realized how thick these were after acquiring and wearing other Rolex sports models. I now have 2 Op's a 36 and a 41 which i prefer the dimensions more.
Interesting... in practise I don't find it 'so much' thicker than an Explorer 40, certainly not enough to bother me. The looks of the watch more than make up for it imo, it's truly unique.

EDIT - Here's a size comparison with the Explorer 40mm on the left and the Milly on the right, click the thumbnail for full size:

Old 24 August 2024, 03:46 PM   #85
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I thought the size was actually okay if i were a larger person. Blue looks great as a summer watch.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2024, 04:14 PM   #86
Flatwound
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have a picture of a white dial Milgauss modified with the GV crystal? Always wondered what that would’ve looked like.
Flatwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2024, 04:15 PM   #87
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
I thought the size was actually okay if i were a larger person. Blue looks great as a summer watch.
Yeah I added a comparison photo above, it's not bad.
Old 24 August 2024, 04:18 PM   #88
xrole
"TRF" Member

Here's some photos of the Miligauss Z Blue.... look at this beauty!

My wrist is around 7".
Old 24 August 2024, 04:37 PM   #89
Andad

Watch: A few.
It would look amazing with a blue crystal.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2024, 04:41 PM   #90
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
It would look amazing with a blue crystal.
It wouldn't look "bad" for sure, but imo it would lose a lot of the charm and contrast that the green crystal provides. IMO the green is the perfect combination for the blue dial and has an "energy field" kind of look to it. It's fascinating.