The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 August 2024, 06:56 AM   #241
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Nomos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3128.jpeg (273.2 KB, 604 views)
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2024, 07:02 AM   #242
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Doxa
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_2521 (1).jpeg (217.6 KB, 598 views)
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 01:43 AM   #243
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Voutilainen (2030)
Just wanted to provide a quick update in regards to Simon Brette because others have shown interest in the brand. I reached out to them via Instagram. It took about 24 hours to get a response which was them just saying the allocation process is being consolidated and I’ll be kept informed of any progress as soon as possible. They also said they were caught off guard by the amount of inquiries they received.

So no real news but in case others tried to contact them that way just wanted to let you know it’ll most likely be that type of response.

I do think the best chance is going in person as others have suggested. Anyway hope there’s good news for everyone if they are trying to get one.
FrugalGreubel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 02:24 AM   #244
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I would like to reach out to him, but I cannot find any info on the upcoming steel release. Where did you see this?
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2024, 02:54 AM   #245
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetBaker View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. I would like to reach out to him, but I cannot find any info on the upcoming steel release. Where did you see this?
Sorry to say I don’t have that info either. One or two other people on the forum can speak better to it since they’ve either spoken to him directly or had better contact with the brand. But I think that’s been all done in person.

Let me know if you have better luck. Hoping the best for everyone with these watches.
Old 23 August 2024, 05:15 PM   #246
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalGreubel View Post
Just wanted to provide a quick update in regards to Simon Brette because others have shown interest in the brand. I reached out to them via Instagram. It took about 24 hours to get a response which was them just saying the allocation process is being consolidated and I’ll be kept informed of any progress as soon as possible. They also said they were caught off guard by the amount of inquiries they received.

So no real news but in case others tried to contact them that way just wanted to let you know it’ll most likely be that type of response.

I do think the best chance is going in person as others have suggested. Anyway hope there’s good news for everyone if they are trying to get one.
I suppose it doesn't terribly hurt demand to win the Horological Revelation Prize at GPHG
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2024, 07:28 AM   #247
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Doxa, BETA case limited 50pcs MOP dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1346.jpeg (122.2 KB, 500 views)
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 03:19 PM   #248
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Simply stunning. Congratulations to the lucky 12.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240827_131748_(880_x_1000_pixel).jpg (248.4 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20240827_131805_(880_x_1000_pixel).jpg (273.3 KB, 432 views)
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 03:30 PM   #249
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Simply stunning. Congratulations to the lucky 12.
Was waiting for you to post that lol.
Old 27 August 2024, 03:37 PM   #250
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Was waiting for you to post that lol.
It's impossible to miss this because my IG exploded with this watch.
Old 27 August 2024, 03:40 PM   #251
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It's impossible to miss this because my IG exploded with this watch.
Lol same. Glad someone posted it here. It’s a great collab. Really classy execution and definitely a great buy for anyone who was able to get one.
Old 27 August 2024, 04:22 PM   #252
RRJ
"TRF" Member

Am I the only one that feels like the Origine was HEAVILY inspired by the GF Signature 1?
RRJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 04:32 PM   #253
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRJ View Post
Am I the only one that feels like the Origine was HEAVILY inspired by the GF Signature 1?
All these type designs pay homage to A.L.Breguet's souscription watches. The history is well worth knowing.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2024, 04:33 PM   #254
RRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
All these type designs pay homage to A.L.Breguet's souscription watches. The history is well worth knowing.
huh, I had no idea. Thanks for your input, I'll check them out.
RRJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 01:14 AM   #255
dchang81
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tried doing a search but couldnt find anything, do you have any links?
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 02:45 AM   #256
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Tried doing a search but couldnt find anything, do you have any links?
Breguet has 8 volumes (iirc) of a magazine they put out, they are available at boutiques, one will surely speak about these. There are also some great books about A.L. Breguet's work.

In the late 18th century, A.L. Breguet did souscription pocketwatch series to get his business off the ground, taking a downpayment to fund the making of the watch. However, watchmakers were pretty mixed back then, so to help make sure servicing went smoothly, he designed some of these watches so you see everything up front and you wouldn't have to take things apart to figure out what needed fixing.

Doesn't look like much, maybe, but so much in watches today comes from various parts of A.L. Breguet's design language. What we have here is one of the first examples of so many watches with the balance wheel at the front with a subdial for the hours/minutes. In practice, the front shell of the case would cover this, leaving a window for the subdial. Anyway, have a look at the modern Breguet Tradition line for watches directly modeled on these.

So, everyone puts their spin on things, but when we say "Oh, this modern watch is a copy of that modern watch", usually, they are both inspired by earlier pocketwatch designs.
Also, there are only so many ways to set up a movement, so seconds hand (4th wheel) or balance wheel may end up in similar places.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2024, 03:32 AM   #257
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Exactly a 7027 or 7037 is probably the closest you can get to the original design. And at a fair price for very decent finishing.
Old 28 August 2024, 10:13 PM   #258
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Lol same. Glad someone posted it here. It’s a great collab. Really classy execution and definitely a great buy for anyone who was able to get one.
Esperluxe told me the 12 have all been allocated. I knew it (whenever my IG explodes this is the outcome).

Quote:
So, everyone puts their spin on things, but when we say "Oh, this modern watch is a copy of that modern watch", usually, they are both inspired by earlier pocketwatch designs.
Also, there are only so many ways to set up a movement, so seconds hand (4th wheel) or balance wheel may end up in similar places.
Old 28 August 2024, 10:14 PM   #259
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

https://www.gphg.org/en/gphg-2024/nominated-timepieces

GPHG 2024 nominations - good luck Rémy Cools and Sylvain Pinaud!
Old 29 August 2024, 06:52 AM   #260
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
https://www.gphg.org/en/gphg-2024/nominated-timepieces

GPHG 2024 nominations - good luck Rémy Cools and Sylvain Pinaud!

To Garrick and Suhanov as well. Great list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2024, 05:44 PM   #261
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

The New Armin Strom Dual Time GMT Resonance is 39mm by 9mm. That's amazing.
Old 31 August 2024, 02:32 AM   #262
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Another Resonance from a relative unknown independent.

https://www.rkoivukoski.com/resonance
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 03:55 AM   #263
Tundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post

Did you receive your custom piece?
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 04:03 AM   #264
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post

Woah, super cool. Will follow along. Came close to ordering from him before but want to see more pieces in the wild first.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 04:31 AM   #265
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Did you receive your custom piece?
I will provide my story once I received my piece. Hopefully next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Woah, super cool. Will follow along. Came close to ordering from him before but want to see more pieces in the wild first.
I will definitely post pictures once I receive it. It's been a long journey.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2024, 04:47 AM   #266
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The New Armin Strom Dual Time GMT Resonance is 39mm by 9mm. That's amazing.

These are crazy dimensions for what’s packed inside and on that dial.

usmc_k9_vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 06:35 AM   #267
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

Quick update on my earlier post about the next step in collecting independents. I spent the weekend in Geneva - my first visit of the city and my first time at Geneva Watch Days. I enjoyed it tremendously. I saw a couple impressive watches, met great people and loved the conversations about watches and the industry in general. So I went from Laurent Ferrier to Fleming to Moser to Simon Brette. Simon was so kind to spend an hour chatting to me about his brand, upcoming releases and the difficulty of allocating his very limited pieces to the right collectors. He even let me try on his personal souscription piece - needless to say it is an amazing watch, and I believe I have an opportunity to explore getting on the list for an allocation of the upcoming steel release. Now, this would be a watch to cap off my collection and would require consolidation of a couple of other pieces. In fairness, I would have to stretch my budget considerably to make it happen. The independent collector community here in the Netherlands is fairly small and I would appreciate hearing from others with experience working with Simon. Absolutely fine to exchange PMs if that’s preferable.
Old 3 September 2024, 06:43 AM   #268
FrugalGreubel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Quick update on my earlier post about the next step in collecting independents. I spent the weekend in Geneva - my first visit of the city and my first time at Geneva Watch Days. I enjoyed it tremendously. I saw a couple impressive watches, met great people and loved the conversations about watches and the industry in general. So I went from Laurent Ferrier to Fleming to Moser to Simon Brette. Simon was so kind to spend an hour chatting to me about his brand, upcoming releases and the difficulty of allocating his very limited pieces to the right collectors. He even let me try on his personal souscription piece - needless to say it is an amazing watch, and I believe I have an opportunity to explore getting on the list for an allocation of the upcoming steel release. Now, this would be a watch to cap off my collection and would require consolidation of a couple of other pieces. In fairness, I would have to stretch my budget considerably to make it happen. The independent collector community here in the Netherlands is fairly small and I would appreciate hearing from others with experience working with Simon. Absolutely fine to exchange PMs if that’s preferable.
Thanks for sharing your experience at Geneva Watch Days and glad to hear you had a great time. It’s nice to hear how awesome Simon was. Hope you’re able to get one of the steel pieces. It would definitely be an amazing addition to your collection.
Old 3 September 2024, 07:07 AM   #269
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My friend locally here has one, it's an amazing watch. I think if you can swing it, that is the way to go.

My friend had a good experience/nothing bad to say FWIW. Not sure if prices have gone up since the original release, but he has a TI one.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2024, 12:05 PM   #270
eiesh
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you don’t mind me asking what’s the retail
Price of the steel Simon Brette piece

eiesh is offline   Reply With Quote