The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 September 2024, 03:49 AM   #31
R-Star
"TRF" Member

Watch: for hungry cats
Liberty Media announced in April it will aquire 86% ownership of MotoGP, which has had a relationship with Tissot since 2001. Curious if the new deal will be with both series.
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 05:54 AM   #32
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
That's a good point: but if dropping such a huge sponsorship doesn't affect Rolex's sales, then why were they paying for it?

Rolex doesn't advertise to sell watches but to sell an image.

--Danny
Old 4 September 2024, 07:30 AM   #33
Goupax
"TRF" Member

F1 is not going in the right direction imo, that's why Rolex only wanted to commit 5 years to see what would happen with the product. The sport has become too americanized and the growth has been on the back of a silly Netflix series and manufactured storylines to keep their ADHD audience hooked. Same modus operandi than the NBA, the fans only show up for the highlights and the prima donna athletes throwing tamper tantrums in front of the media. I mean, where was the american audience from the 1960s-2010s when the product was arguably better? Watching NASCAR running in circles for hours in the hopes of witnessing cars crashing into each other? They don't care about F1, they just want to pretend they are into it and show up at events in Miami or Las Vegas to take good pictures on social media and brag ''Look! I was here!'' to their friends and peers.

Rolex sponsors sports and activities practiced by the aristocracy: yachting, tennis, golf. Sure they care about viewership to an extent but there is a reason why you will never see Rolex anywhere close to the Premier League, NFL or NBA. Too pedestrian, working class. Better for the brand to use their budget to save the planet instead of funding that carbon dioxide circus.
Goupax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 10:54 AM   #34
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Rolex Pulled out of F1 Because of Contract Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goupax View Post
F1 is not going in the right direction imo, that's why Rolex only wanted to commit 5 years to see what would happen with the product. The sport has become too americanized and the growth has been on the back of a silly Netflix series and manufactured storylines to keep their ADHD audience hooked. Same modus operandi than the NBA, the fans only show up for the highlights and the prima donna athletes throwing tamper tantrums in front of the media. I mean, where was the american audience from the 1960s-2010s when the product was arguably better? Watching NASCAR running in circles for hours in the hopes of witnessing cars crashing into each other? They don't care about F1, they just want to pretend they are into it and show up at events in Miami or Las Vegas to take good pictures on social media and brag ''Look! I was here!'' to their friends and peers.

Rolex sponsors sports and activities practiced by the aristocracy: yachting, tennis, golf. Sure they care about viewership to an extent but there is a reason why you will never see Rolex anywhere close to the Premier League, NFL or NBA. Too pedestrian, working class. Better for the brand to use their budget to save the planet instead of funding that carbon dioxide circus.

Please capitalize America. It’s a country, for goodness sake. Also, I see you are not American, making your post pretty weird. So, not an F1 fan, or a fan of Americans? I assume you are aware that the 24 races each year take place in 21 different countries, across 5 continents. The fan base is very large, and diverse. As for the Netflix series, we like the stories of the teams, drivers, and cars. We definitely are not hoping for crashes. We’ve thought of going to a race in Vegas, but that might cut into my watch funds, as we are not members of the Aristocracy, like you apparently are. We love all the sports you mentioned. Lately, we have discovered the WNBA, too, thanks to the phenomenal new rookie, who shares my maiden name. I even bought her shirt. BTW, neither of us suffer from ADHD. As I said, “weird post!”

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 12:19 PM   #35
WRjr
Banned

Quote:

WRjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 01:32 PM   #36
chalkflewup
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Guenther Steiner would disagree! But in a much more colorful manner
Old 5 September 2024, 03:34 AM   #37
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:

oh dear, you clearly know little to nothing about F1

The sport has grown expotentially in the last 3/4 years and has widened the fan base, viewing figures, revenue streams, races on the calender and any other metric you care to quote/look at.

The fact that your view differs doesn't make what you have aserted a fact. Rolex have been in the sports sponsorship business a very long time and know a lot more about it, their customers and the various sports markets than you I would wager.

Rolex will have taken the view that a 5 year extension suited them and a 10 year one did not. That's it in nutshell as Rolex (being Rolex) will walk to the beat of their own drum given their unique business (Trust) model.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 03:47 AM   #38
kritameth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
I wonder how far RM took their bid. Would never own one, but seeing RM as official timekeeper of F1 would be as natural as eating sushi in Japan.
kritameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 06:13 AM   #39
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
When I think of NASCAR, they have a different audience than F1 fans, who perhaps aren’t the type of people who buy Rolex watches.

Kat

As a motorsports lover for 30+ years that has been to F1, Indy, and Talladega and Daytona multiple times, you would be very wrong.
Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 06:33 AM   #40
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I stopped watching F1 since a long time back, while I'm still wearing Rolex today.

Exactly me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 September 2024, 07:54 AM   #41
watchman124
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritameth View Post
I wonder how far RM took their bid. Would never own one, but seeing RM as official timekeeper of F1 would be as natural as eating sushi in Japan.
Would've loved this
watchman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 09:22 AM   #42
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Icon17

Quote:

what??? Such hate for the USA and F1? You're entitled to your opinions to which I disagree with, but will reapect. Here's my opinion. I always thought of Canada as an extension of the U.S. culturally so a knock on those values is a knock on your own country's cultural value IMO. No disrespect to other Canadians here, sincerely.

I've been a motorsports fan for 3 decades, especially F1. You sir, have no idea of what you're talking about, respectfully of course.

BTW, have you been to an NBA or NFL game? You don't think there is a massive Rolex audience there?
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk / Rolex 116500 Panda / Rolex 126710 BLRO / Rolex 126610LV Green / Rolex 16570 Black/ Rolex 116300 Blue / Rolex 126710 BLNR
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 04:00 PM   #43
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
what??? Such hate for the USA and F1? You're entitled to your opinions to which I disagree with, but will reapect. Here's my opinion. I always thought of Canada as an extension of the U.S. culturally so a knock on those values is a knock on your own country's cultural value IMO. No disrespect to other Canadians here, sincerely.

I've been a motorsports fan for 3 decades, especially F1. You sir, have no idea of what you're talking about, respectfully of course.

BTW, have you been to an NBA or NFL game? You don't think there is a massive Rolex audience there?

Well said, and your thoughts echo mine, about the USA and Canada. I’ve been to NFL games. Maybe he’s unaware how much it cost to get tickets to see the Eagles play at the Linc! And don’t even get me started on how much courtside seats cost to see an NBA game. I’d love to get tickets to see C.C. Play. She got another triple double today! Her second, (as a rookie)

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 04:44 PM   #44
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerlsu2008 View Post
As a motorsports lover for 30+ years that has been to F1, Indy, and Talladega and Daytona multiple times, you would be very wrong.
Same here and couldn't agree more.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 05:52 PM   #45
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:

He’s obviously never sat in the first level of an NBA arena or NFL stadium. The season ticket holders are every bit as wealthy as the folks that attend tennis and golf tournaments. Actually, it’s probably all the same people.

The NFL and NBA is more universally appealing to a broader range of people. Rich folks, middle class, and lower classes all equally love it. Whereas tennis and golf might be more exclusive to just upper class folks (generally speaking of course).

NASCAR is like the NBA and NFL. Lots of rich folks take private helicopters and jets to see a big race. Of course, you have the trailer park folks in attendance, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 06:10 PM   #46
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
It isn’t unusual that large brands play hardball with sponsorship deals. Furthermore, the implied negativity surrounding their retraction can also bring unexpected free press as we are seeing through your post OP. There’s even value in ending the endorsement as hundreds of news outlets and websites like yours generate their headlines which invariably draws (now) free attention to Rolex.

I expect Rolex to get its way with F1 while the upcoming recommencement would generate even more free press concerning its return to the sport. It’s a win win either way.

Finally, those involved in marketing are aware of “sponsorship blindness” which is a phenomenon when consumers get so used to seeing a brand year after year that only the recently signed brands actually gain the desired attention. A hiatus can solve this heavily studied human psychological trait of dismissing the habitual.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 06:25 PM   #47
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
F1 is not going in the right direction imo, that's why Rolex only wanted to commit 5 years to see what would happen with the product. The sport has become too americanized and the growth has been on the back of a silly Netflix series and manufactured storylines to keep their ADHD audience hooked.
Sounds about right. I record the race highlights and FF to the parade lap.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 08:28 PM   #48
hojlund
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPSD4K View Post
I expect Tag Heuer to be the bigger winner.
may be hublot.
hojlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 08:48 PM   #49
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Omega will be happy to step in.
Yes.
Old 5 September 2024, 09:45 PM   #50
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:

Well said Micky.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2024, 08:33 AM   #51
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I'm glad they pull out from F1, there's far too much Rolex advertising going on. The less advertising, the less demand and hopefully more availability at ADs, along with lower prices in the grey market.
alphadweller is online now   Reply With Quote