The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 September 2024, 06:11 AM   #61
Rolex1982
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Meteorite
If you want the watch and can afford the premium, do it! it’s a great watch and life is too short to wait around for some AD to deliver you the watch. And remember, to get that watch you need to purchase more random stuff than the premium at the secondary market..
Rolex1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 10:35 AM   #62
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

The Daytona has always had a wait. If that’s your dream, just get it now. The dealer may come up with something or maybe they never will. I’ve been lucky but seen a lot of folks that haven’t spent enough, have zero deliveries after 4 years.

If that is your target, just pull the trigger.
Old 4 September 2024, 10:45 AM   #63
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Do it…maybe ask for 126519 if that’s your thing or get that grey…but ya just get it. AD games are getting worse and grey market pricing is getting better IMO
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 10:46 AM   #64
Hkspwrsche
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
That’s what I did with the GMT Pepsi. If I buy it before, it was “my money”.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Definitely get it BEFORE the wedding.

Afterwards, it won't be our permission you'll be asking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
Exactly, especially for a newlywed, since" your" spending now becomes "our spending", don't let a watch ruin that special day and relationship going forward.

Pull the trigger, this will be before accounting is combined. The real math for most folks is you need to spend 150k to earn the privilege. The current gray price is cheaper than what they typically say you must spend.
Old 4 September 2024, 10:47 AM   #65
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio_UKR View Post
Just go for a PM OF Daytona. If choosing between Panda and PM OF from AD price difference will be like $3-4 and upgrade to a PM is completely worth it.

Plus you will get that AD game start from a very nice piece.

This. The premium for gold is so low…

But to answer your original question, the premium have dropped considerably and for such an occasion, just get the watch you want. If you get it at retail, sell the one you bought grey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:36 AM   #66
sambb
"TRF" Member

get a sub, invest the rest. you'll be glad.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:46 AM   #67
messikens
"TRF" Member

Honestly don't do it. If you want a more special jewelry piece, add another $5k and get yourself a RO blue dial.

Otherwise save yourself $20k and get a Sub... a $17k premium for a regular SS Daytone is nonsense. It may be your special day but either get a really special watch or spend 50% of the premium on your honeymoon (or if you have already done that, then spend 50% of the grey premium on more champagne, food and wonderful trips).

It's your big day but i) a Daytona in the grand scheme isnt THAT special and ii) it's definitely NOT a $30k watch...

Any watch that day will still be associated with the same memories, so any watch worn that day will be your special watch...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:51 AM   #68
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
In 2018, a large AD here told me "no problem, six months and we can get you one." I had a purchase history and I still don't have a Daytona. Had I gone grey in 2018, I'd have no concerns with that today. I suspect if you go grey now, in 2030, you won't either.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:54 AM   #69
ColoradoTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Honestly don't do it. If you want a more special jewelry piece, add another $5k and get yourself a RO blue dial.

Otherwise save yourself $20k and get a Sub... a $17k premium for a regular SS Daytone is nonsense. It may be your special day but either get a really special watch or spend 50% of the premium on your honeymoon (or if you have already done that, then spend 50% of the grey premium on more champagne, food and wonderful trips).

It's your big day but i) a Daytona in the grand scheme isnt THAT special and ii) it's definitely NOT a $30k watch...

Any watch that day will still be associated with the same memories, so any watch worn that day will be your special watch...

I think these are very good points. I really like the SS Daytona - but also agree it’s not a $30k watch.

ColoradoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:55 AM   #70
ons2101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post

I agree with this.

If you are willing to drop 30+ k on a watch, then get a 30+k watch! Like some Patek, Vacheron, Lange, sure even a AP RO.

Go check out Takuya or David SW and you’ll have it this week.

Keep your name on the list for the SS Daytona and hopefully you’ll get it for sticker price when you have your first kid.

Congrats on the wedding.

ons2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 11:58 AM   #71
TheDon2000
"TRF" Member

I strongly disagree with the posters saying that the SS Daytona is "not a $30k watch".

Almost the same thing could be said for any Rolex at any price. Tied into every single model is prestige, marketing, hype, supply, and demand.

As all of us will be quick to say with any other subject: an item is worth what another person is willing to pay. So if Panda's are trading at $30-35k, then, yes, it is a $30-$35k watch.

Most people that think they, or someone else, actually paid MSRP for a Panda are kidding themselves. They either a) spent tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars with an AD and/or b) have a quid pro quo relationship and conceded equal or vastly higher amounts in the AD owner/manager's favor. If in either situation, the Panda owner lost $15k or more (think sales tax, depreciation, lost revenue, etc.) from either option A or B, they paid $30-$35k for the watch, or potentially vastly more.

OP, don't buy any other watch unless it scratches the same or better itch as the Panda will for you. $15k overvalue in the grand scheme of things is chump change, at least in this hobby.

Let's be careful with the words we choose. A watch is not valued simply by its raw material and workmanship to build.
TheDon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 12:13 PM   #72
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I say do it, and engrave the caseback so you keep it for life!! Make many memories with it. Hand it down to the next generation. This is what life is all about, if you wait for an AD to get you one at retail you will be old and grey with nothing to show for it.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 12:27 PM   #73
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Might go Gray for a 126500LN...Am I crazy?

Do it we just got my dad his for about $27k brand new unwor. He trade his 116500 black for the new one. I traded my white 116500 for the new one. Totally worth it!
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 12:53 PM   #74
smugtech
"TRF" Member

Daytona Panda is my grail watch but I'd never spend 100% on markup. If you have the money go for it !!
smugtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 04:35 PM   #75
L8r
2024 Pledge Member

How does your wife to be feel about it?
L8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 04:43 PM   #76
Redsub71
"TRF" Member

23/24 $, no more. The old reference 116500 holds the market better.
Redsub71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 07:51 PM   #77
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
Do it we just got my dad his for about $27k brand new unwor. He trade his 116500 black for the new one. I traded my white 116500 for the new one. Totally worth it!

How do you know brand new unworn? Did you peel the stickers off?

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2024, 08:54 PM   #78
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Whiskey View Post
I'm getting married next month and want to mark the occasion. I'm a good customer at 2 AD's, but am fully aware I am nowhere near the spend for a Panda. I asked for a few lesser pieces in the previous months to celebrate the wedding and it doesn't look like they'll be able to deliver. Am I totally out of my mind to go gray for a 126500LN? Looks like prices are in the low $30s and just wanted to pick everyones brain on my idea. I certainly have no intention of selling the watch, but having the price tank after purchase isn't a great feeling. Wondering if anyone has any advice or regret on going gray for you grail piece?

Thanks!!

Would not pay over retail so yes out of your mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 01:00 AM   #79
928ktgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
How do you know brand new unworn? Did you peel the stickers off?

You inspect it with a loop to make sure there are no micro scratches anywhere. I usually find a couple of factory stickers along the crown guards are commonly forgotten or clasp. Without the stickers it can get doubtful. Also buy the seller.
Old 5 September 2024, 03:14 AM   #80
gamingdoctor
"TRF" Member

I don't have a problem going gray, but do it because you want the watch and not because of the wedding. Obviously the wedding will be special regardless of daytona or no. Whichever watch you wear will be "the" watch.
gamingdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 03:43 AM   #81
kritameth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228238
If you were banking on getting one from AD then you'd essentially be getting one at retail from grey now, make memories with the wedding, after eventually getting the one from AD and selling. In theory anyway. But absolutely not crazy, plenty of people choose to go that route for a variety of reasons. If you don't end up getting the call from the AD, well then you didn't just wait all that time for nothing, and personally I believe the Daytona is still worth it at 2x retail.
kritameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 03:43 AM   #82
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Might go Gray for a 126500LN...Am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928ktgold View Post
You inspect it with a loop to make sure there are no micro scratches anywhere. I usually find a couple of factory stickers along the crown guards are commonly forgotten or clasp. Without the stickers it can get doubtful. Also buy the seller.

A simple polish can make it look new. These used dealers can have a watch polished to look new pretty easily

And stickers at the crown guard doesn’t mean unworn. I’ve picked up many watches from the AD where I wore with crown guard stickers for a few months.

So your Daytonas are mint condition, used.

Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 08:56 AM   #83
928ktgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post
Do it…maybe ask for 126519 if that’s your thing or get that grey…but ya just get it. AD games are getting worse and grey market pricing is getting better IMO
This watch is 40-49k depending on dial grey
Old 5 September 2024, 09:00 AM   #84
928ktgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
A simple polish can make it look new. These used dealers can have a watch polished to look new pretty easily

And stickers at the crown guard doesn’t mean unworn. I’ve picked up many watches from the AD where I wore with crown guard stickers for a few months.

So your Daytonas are mint condition, used.

Could be used or could be new.You never know. Always buy the seller
Old 5 September 2024, 03:39 PM   #85
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911991 View Post
Exactly, especially for a newlywed, since" your" spending now becomes "our spending", don't let a watch ruin that special day and relationship going forward.
That's why he should buy it before he enters the cage and spending becomes our spending, it's his only chance otherwise he will regret it for life. Do it now or never, when you crave a Panda no other watch will scratch the itch. No steel RO or OF Daytona will do.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 03:52 PM   #86
Manamana
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon2000 View Post
I strongly disagree with the posters saying that the SS Daytona is "not a $30k watch".

Almost the same thing could be said for any Rolex at any price. Tied into every single model is prestige, marketing, hype, supply, and demand.

As all of us will be quick to say with any other subject: an item is worth what another person is willing to pay. So if Panda's are trading at $30-35k, then, yes, it is a $30-$35k watch.

Most people that think they, or someone else, actually paid MSRP for a Panda are kidding themselves. They either a) spent tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars with an AD and/or b) have a quid pro quo relationship and conceded equal or vastly higher amounts in the AD owner/manager's favor. If in either situation, the Panda owner lost $15k or more (think sales tax, depreciation, lost revenue, etc.) from either option A or B, they paid $30-$35k for the watch, or potentially vastly more.

OP, don't buy any other watch unless it scratches the same or better itch as the Panda will for you. $15k overvalue in the grand scheme of things is chump change, at least in this hobby.

Let's be careful with the words we choose. A watch is not valued simply by its raw material and workmanship to build.
100% correct.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2024, 11:04 PM   #87
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
As many have said, if you can afford the used market price and want the watch, go for it. Buying an OF, if you want the SS, just adds more money to the process as you will get the SS at some point.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote