The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 September 2024, 09:47 AM   #1
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex Corporate Direct ‘New Old Stock’ Purchases?

Have you guys ever heard of this? I have the opportunity to buy a model I’ve been after, but the (reputable) dealer is telling me this was a corporate Rolex employee purchase who got a discontinued model as a perk. It’s a 5 digit reference, which has a stamped warranty card by Rolex themselves (not an AD) and the date is TEN YEARS after this watch officially stopped production. The other crazy thing is the watch has the 2014-2020 style warranty card and green swing tag? On a 5 digit model!

I’m fairly well versed on Rolex, but this is just a bit puzzling to me. The dealer is super legit, so I’m not wanting to nix the deal, if this is just something I was unaware happened.

Does Rolex really keep inventory for special employee purchases? For example, this is like me having the opportunity to buy a Rolex 16610 which is stamped 2020 (discontinued in 2010) with Rolex Germany listed on the card. And comes with a new style warranty card. Does that actually happen? If it was just a date the years after it ceases production that has happened numerous times, but this is not only that, but stamp by corporate, with a brand new card which was never given to ADs for this model in the first place.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 10:11 AM   #2
VictorGMT
"TRF" Member

I've worked with three major high-dollar consumer goods manufacturers of serialized products.

We would FREQUENTLY have occurrences such as "Oh man. Here is a case of 144 items that were placed on credit hold 17 years ago and discovered today".

So, it CAN happen. I'm not saying it DID happen, but that warranty card is comforting to me.
VictorGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 10:22 AM   #3
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Have you guys ever heard of this? I have the opportunity to buy a model I’ve been after, but the (reputable) dealer is telling me this was a corporate Rolex employee purchase who got a discontinued model as a perk. It’s a 5 digit reference, which has a stamped warranty card by Rolex themselves (not an AD) and the date is TEN YEARS after this watch officially stopped production. The other crazy thing is the watch has the 2014-2020 style warranty card and green swing tag? On a 5 digit model!

I’m fairly well versed on Rolex, but this is just a bit puzzling to me. The dealer is super legit, so I’m not wanting to nix the deal, if this is just something I was unaware happened.

Does Rolex really keep inventory for special employee purchases? For example, this is like me having the opportunity to buy a Rolex 16610 which is stamped 2020 (discontinued in 2010) with Rolex Germany listed on the card. And comes with a new style warranty card. Does that actually happen? If it was just a date the years after it ceases production that has happened numerous times, but this is not only that, but stamp by corporate, with a brand new card which was never given to ADs for this model in the first place.
Wow, really interesting. It's absolutely possible, so I'd guess one of two routes. Either (a) they have surplus stock housed somewhere, or (b) they can very easily manufacture any current or past production model. I'm lean more toward (b), as I recall reading a thread years ago of a guy that sent his 5-digit green Submariner in for a full service plus polish to RSC, got the watch back with a poor polish job, sent it back and Rolex agreed it was not great. They ended up remedying the situation by offering a brand new case on a discontinued watch. So again, Rolex likely has the ability to manufacture just about any past Rolex they wish.

Separately, I'd air on the side of caution, as add-ons such as warranty cards and hang tags are not difficult to fake. Perhaps you can work with RSC to confirm authenticity of the story?
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 10:25 AM   #4
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Wow, really interesting. It's absolutely possible, so I'd guess one of two routes. Either (a) they have surplus stock housed somewhere, or (b) they can very easily manufacture any current or past production model. I'm lean more toward (b), as I recall reading a thread years ago of a guy that sent his 5-digit green Submariner in for a full service plus polish to RSC, got the watch back with a poor polish job, sent it back and Rolex agreed it was not great. They ended up remedying the situation by offering a brand new case on a discontinued watch. So again, Rolex likely has the ability to manufacture just about any past Rolex they wish.

Separately, I'd air on the side of caution, as add-ons such as warranty cards and hang tags are not difficult to fake. Perhaps you can work with RSC to confirm authenticity of the story?
This is likely what I’d do, just send straight into RSC after purchase. But still I’d like to check if anybody has ever heard of something so peculiar

And yes this situation also popped in my head. That perhaps this dealer hasn’t a clue, and what really happened is Rolex butchered a watch, and remedied by giving a new one. That would also make sense on the stamp.
Old 12 September 2024, 10:52 AM   #5
Zach69SS
"TRF" Member

That’s a real head scratcher? Never seen or heard anything like that? Knowing how Rolex is about the warranty?
Zach69SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 11:50 AM   #6
6172crew
"TRF" Member

My salesdude was gifted a Sub by Rolex, it is engraved with his name and Rolex watch club or something. He said years ago the company had a competition to sell C amount of watches and he received the gift.
6172crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 11:50 AM   #7
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I've purchased a couple sets in the past and the dealer info was Rolex USA, NYC.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 11:58 AM   #8
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Didn't I read on here in an old post about a 114270 with a 2020 stamp popping up in Japan? Not clear whether it was somehow in a dealer's safe for a decade plus or with the distribution arm of Rolex Japan.

I doubt there's "surplus stock" per se, more likely inventory that was forgotten in a storage facility, or undistributed pieces that had been used by corporate for things like photo shoots, etc.

That said, Rolex absolutely has the ability to "reproduce" any watch from the past couple decades. Any/all parts for those watches - cases, crystals, dials, movements, bracelets, hands, etc. - are available for the purpose of service replacements. Typically they'd be used one at a time for a single damaged component on an existing watch, but they could always be assembled into an entire watch. However I doubt Rolex would issue papers for for something like that, would they?
Poodlopogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 12:35 PM   #9
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlopogus View Post
Didn't I read on here in an old post about a 114270 with a 2020 stamp popping up in Japan? Not clear whether it was somehow in a dealer's safe for a decade plus or with the distribution arm of Rolex Japan.

I doubt there's "surplus stock" per se, more likely inventory that was forgotten in a storage facility, or undistributed pieces that had been used by corporate for things like photo shoots, etc.

That said, Rolex absolutely has the ability to "reproduce" any watch from the past couple decades. Any/all parts for those watches - cases, crystals, dials, movements, bracelets, hands, etc. - are available for the purpose of service replacements. Typically they'd be used one at a time for a single damaged component on an existing watch, but they could always be assembled into an entire watch. However I doubt Rolex would issue papers for for something like that, would they?
See what makes this such a head scratcher is the type of warranty card included. Every Rolex model from say 2010 has a specific old style warranty card. This is how they were issued. Then in 2014-2020 it was a different card (then the newest in 2020). This one has the serial dating it to 2009, but the card is the 2014-2020. How is this a 2009 production piece but doesn’t have a 2009 card, but a 2014-2020 one. As any ‘normal’ production piece with let’s say a V serial number, should have been issued a card in 2009 from Rolex. It’s so interesting to me. It also has me 50-50 on saying wow, this could be a crazy coincidence where I legitimately can get one of the last produced of this model. Haha

What’s perplexing is the dealer is super reputable, the price isn’t some ‘deal’ it’s market priced and the watch passes everything authenticity wise from extensive pics. and even if this was a fake, it would be pretty stupid for any counterfeiter to include the wrong warranty card like that, haha.
Old 12 September 2024, 12:40 PM   #10
BlondesNwatches
"TRF" Member

So the dealer was able to legitimize that the original owner was a Rolex employee and was gifted or purchased direct from Rolex? It sounds like an interesting story. It definitely needs to be seen by the RSC.
BlondesNwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 01:05 PM   #11
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
See what makes this such a head scratcher is the type of warranty card included. Every Rolex model from say 2010 has a specific old style warranty card. This is how they were issued. Then in 2014-2020 it was a different card (then the newest in 2020). This one has the serial dating it to 2009, but the card is the 2014-2020. How is this a 2009 production piece but doesn’t have a 2009 card, but a 2014-2020 one. As any ‘normal’ production piece with let’s say a V serial number, should have been issued a card in 2009 from Rolex. It’s so interesting to me. It also has me 50-50 on saying wow, this could be a crazy coincidence where I legitimately can get one of the last produced of this model. Haha

What’s perplexing is the dealer is super reputable, the price isn’t some ‘deal’ it’s market priced and the watch passes everything authenticity wise from extensive pics. and even if this was a fake, it would be pretty stupid for any counterfeiter to include the wrong warranty card like that, haha.
I think the best explanations, or should I say, versions of the current explanations, are:

1. True NoS, but where the inventory was forgotten around '09 before warranty cards were produced, then rediscovered a decade later, at which time the current card style was used. So, someone discovered a batch of a half-dozen watches, forgotten on a shelf, management said "hey, anyone want these?" and then had cards drawn up for the takers.

2. The watch was essentially assembled from the parts inventory some time around 2019/20 and the spare mid-case happened to have a V serial.
Poodlopogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 01:21 PM   #12
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlopogus View Post
I think the best explanations, or should I say, versions of the current explanations, are:

1. True NoS, but where the inventory was forgotten around '09 before warranty cards were produced, then rediscovered a decade later, at which time the current card style was used. So, someone discovered a batch of a half-dozen watches, forgotten on a shelf, management said "hey, anyone want these?" and then had cards drawn up for the takers.

2. The watch was essentially assembled from the parts inventory some time around 2019/20 and the spare mid-case happened to have a V serial.
So 1 isn’t really possible as all the V series (2009) of this watch came with warranty cards (the first type Rolex introduced around 06). The previous year M series (2008) also had the warranty cards. I know as I’ve had a few. So if this was actually a normal production V series piece it definitely should have had the original card. As far as I’m aware and what I’ve been relayed, is you can never ‘trade up’ warranty cards. Like if a dealer has a 116610LN in the safe they just found, with a 2020 and prior card, they can’t contact Rolex right now and get issued a new style card. They issue the old card.

And yeah, #2 is what I thought in my head.but I guess it begs the question ‘why’ was a discontinued 5 digit model put together by Rolex, stamped by Rolex corporate and sold with a green swing tag/modern warranty card all the way in almost 2020? So many questions haha.

And again, to reiterate, this isn’t a ‘buddy special’, it’s an incredibly reputable dealer at normal price. And I can pay with CC if I want. It’s not gimmicky, and dealer is just relaying what they were told, the seller could have simply lied (although why?).. I just want to know if ANYbody has ever heard of something like this though, as I have never once heard of Rolex corporate hooking up an employee on a discontinued reference. Dealer is completely content with a refund if I sent to RSC and anything is awry, I’d just prefer not to waste my time and energy though if this is in any way not possible.
Old 12 September 2024, 01:21 PM   #13
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondesNwatches View Post
So the dealer was able to legitimize that the original owner was a Rolex employee and was gifted or purchased direct from Rolex? It sounds like an interesting story. It definitely needs to be seen by the RSC.
I’m not sure if it was ‘legitimized’ or more so just what they were told upon taking the watch in.
Old 12 September 2024, 01:31 PM   #14
illiguy

Quote:

Interesting. What watch / reference is it?
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 01:34 PM   #15
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Very interesting thread. I’ll be following if only out of curiosity.

That said. I would drive straight to a RSC if I pulled the trigger and would demand an authenticity guarantee before purchasing.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 01:42 PM   #16
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppydriver View Post
Very interesting thread. I’ll be following if only out of curiosity.

That said. I would drive straight to a RSC if I pulled the trigger and would demand an authenticity guarantee before purchasing.
Yeah I mean this is completely okay with seller that I send into RSC to verify it’s a real watch. I just am curious about the story! It’s very interesting to say the least. And I thought I had heard almost everything from Rolex. This is a first for me.
Old 12 September 2024, 04:46 PM   #17
CaptT

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post

I’m wondering if you’re remember something I may have posted about (and if so, good memory!). I bought a 14060M (Z serial IIRC) from someone who sent it to RSC in ~2018 and the butchered the watch by overpolishing the lugs so much that Rolex provided a replacement case at no cost, which had lug holes and engraving on the rehaut. And provided updated documentation on Rolex letterhead. I’m not sure if they manufactured the case specifically as a replacement, or pulled from existing stock.
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 05:46 PM   #18
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Very interesting story OP. Thanks for sharing.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 06:45 PM   #19
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

So further info from seller

This was 100% a Rolex gift for a sales associate, produced in 2018. And it’s 10000% certain of its origin because his watchmaker (he’s a large dealer) was actually the Rolex employee’s brother!

So as long as seller is being honest, which I zero reason not to believe such a story with his reputation, Rolex at times will seemingly ‘resurrect’ discontinued models for a one off. And I think this might possibly be the last iteration of this watch ever produced because of that. Kind of a pretty cool story here, think I might jump on it and post an incoming when it arrives if so!
Old 12 September 2024, 07:08 PM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I have heard of one instance of this in the UK but it was second hand information. I didn't know the buyer or the seller, just the SA who handled it. It was a NOS 16610LV, given to the owner by Rolex some years after production ceased and never worn by the owner.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 07:14 PM   #21
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I have heard of one instance of this in the UK but it was second hand information. I didn't know the buyer or the seller, just the SA who handled it. It was a NOS 16610LV, given to the owner by Rolex some years after production ceased and never worn by the owner.
Exact same instance here! This one is brand new and never worn even since the employee got it in 2018. It’s super interesting to me with the new Rolex card and green swing tag, both of which didn’t start until 2014/2015, but this watch ceased production 5+ years prior.

I’m a weirdo and enjoy these quirky things though. Not Rolex, but I also have a PAM233 V series and PAM1024 U series which I specifically sought out as those two are also the last produced model year. I guess I’m kind of an end of the run collector ��
Old 12 September 2024, 07:42 PM   #22
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
In… 2019? 2020?

I was offered a full yellow gold datejust 36mm on fluted bezel jubilee bracelet with marble dial at authorized dealer.

It had been discontinued completely for years and had a marble dial. Dealer said Rolex sent it to them just recently didn’t know much more. But can confirm they no longer sold datejust in full yellow.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 08:32 PM   #23
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Sounds super interesting. My guess is, the discontinued watch was never sold previously in a retail network and the papers therefore never produced, so the only option was to issue the warranty card which was current at the time of corporate employee purchase.

I think I read somewhere here that if an authorised dealer (not the consumer) misplaces the warranty card, they have the ability to ask Rolex to make a new one, so I am not surprised.

And yes, I saw the unused 114270 with the current style warranty card listed for sale in Japan!
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 08:47 PM   #24
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Explorer View Post
Sounds super interesting. My guess is, the discontinued watch was never sold previously in a retail network and the papers therefore never produced, so the only option was to issue the warranty card which was current at the time of corporate employee purchase.

I think I read somewhere here that if an authorised dealer (not the consumer) misplaces the warranty card, they have the ability to ask Rolex to make a new one, so I am not surprised.

And yes, I saw the unused 114270 with the current style warranty card listed for sale in Japan!
A 5 series watch from say 2010 would have included the warranty card from the factory. Watches weren’t sent to dealers and then the cards info such as serial filled out after purchase…you got the card straight from Rolex. That’s exactly what makes these types of instances so bizarre. As that explorer for instance was discontinued in 2010, to have a newer style warranty card isn’t possible unless it’s some rare occurrence such as this one. As if it was a normal production 2010 piece it already had the warranty card issued when first made, an AD putting in their safe for a decade doesn’t change that and Rolex won’t just magically produce another one for you from what I’ve been told.
Old 12 September 2024, 08:56 PM   #25
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
OP, thank you for this really interesting story, and I look forward to hearing how it ends up.

And with 5000 posts, you absolutely know, "Buy the seller."

But it sounds like you don't trust this seller. Despite his being a, "(reputable) dealer;" despite his being, "super reputable;" despite his being, "10000% certain of its origin;" you still have questions, which you're wisely airing here. Trust means not asking others for a second opinion.

If you don't trust the seller, walk away.

Am I misreading this?
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 09:01 PM   #26
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
OP, thank you for this really interesting story, and I look forward to hearing how it ends up.

And with 5000 posts, you absolutely know, "Buy the seller."

But it sounds like you don't trust this seller. Despite his being a, "(reputable) dealer;" despite his being, "super reputable;" despite his being, "10000% certain of its origin;" you still have questions, which you're wisely airing here. Trust means not asking others for a second opinion.

If you don't trust the seller, walk away.

Am I misreading this?
Yes you’re misreading, especially after my last message I posted from him

I’m simply asking if there’s other instances people have heard of this. I reiterated about the seller not being shady so I don’t get a bunch of ‘is this a shady dealer’ type comments. I don’t doubt anything the seller is telling me, but he can only relay what the seller to him said. I’m trying to figure that out here. But now after further clarification and it being such a close friend, seems the info would have been accurate and zero cause for concern.

But to further my point, I can sell something to DavidSW and have an elaborate story, which he could then relay to a future client. It doesn’t mean it’s true for sure or add up. Understand what I mean?

Also trust doesn’t equate to never asking for a second opinion on something to cross your t’s and dot your i’s. In any sector for that matter, sales, health, everything.
Old 12 September 2024, 09:09 PM   #27
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Quote:

Quote:
A 5 series watch from say 2010 would have included the warranty card from the factory. Watches weren’t sent to dealers and then the cards info such as serial filled out after purchase…you got the card straight from Rolex. That’s exactly what makes these types of instances so bizarre. As that explorer for instance was discontinued in 2010, to have a newer style warranty card isn’t possible unless it’s some rare occurrence such as this one. As if it was a normal production 2010 piece it already had the warranty card issued when first made, an AD putting in their safe for a decade doesn’t change that and Rolex won’t just magically produce another one for you from what I’ve been told.
That's true but if the watch's original warranty card was lost by the authorised dealer (not consumer) before eventual retail sale many years later? I've read Rolex would send a replacement to the AD but it would be current at time of issue. I actually think it's nice to have the newer card assuming everything checks out.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 09:11 PM   #28
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's true but if the watch's original warranty card was lost by the authorised dealer (not consumer) before eventual retail sale many years later? I've read Rolex would send a replacement to the AD but it would be current at time of issue. I actually think it's nice to have the newer card assuming everything checks out.
I had last heard they refused to do this but I could 100% be mistaken! Exact reason I started this thread though as I thought this could have been a possibility as well.
Old 12 September 2024, 09:28 PM   #29
domi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, BLRO...
IT SEEMS A GOOD JOB, it's hard to get a NOS because there are a lot of weird situations and it's really hard to find the right NOSE. Once i wanted to buy NOS from Italian gray and i saw that it had a damaged link on the strap, hello! so this is a really good opportunity if the price is fair!
domi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2024, 09:37 PM   #30
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Sounds good and on this forum, we no doubt want to believe