The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #1
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Reaching the End with Rolex - Advice on Next Acquisition - DJ41, JLC, Ingeniuer

Hi team,

I've been lucky enough to obtain a rootbeer, slate YM, bluesy, rose/olive DD and Rose/black OF daytona. I also have an 8 day Panerai Luminor and a really cool Linde Werdelin 3-timer. Also Owned a 5 digit sub for 30 years which I got bored of and traded for the DD and had a Tudor Royal for a while too (nice watch).

I'm "on the list" for an AP RO and am trying to hornswaggle myself a Patek. We all know neither will happen.

I've always liked the quintessential ubiquitous DJ, but find the 36mm too small and the 41mm weirdly bigger than my almost identical DD. Don't really miss my 5 digit sub, but do ponder getting the updated version "because I can and its still a cool watch".

So what would you add? I've been a long term admirer of the Ingy and nearly bought one about 7 years ago. Love the Reverso to look at, but less so on the wrist........... So what next??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BR3.jpg (137.5 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg 1sing.jpg (106.2 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9865.jpeg (199.1 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex 1.jpg (236.6 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg Sing8.jpg (84.7 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Sing11.jpg (76.4 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Syd2.jpg (96.8 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Syd8.jpg (104.4 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Whale9.jpg (71.7 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Whale10.jpg (80.4 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Tudor 2.jpg (93.6 KB, 286 views)
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #2
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Based on the watches you have, consider a VC overseas
bp1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #3
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

VC not a bad way to go. Would be difficult to decide between that and a Laureato (if I wanted a 40+mm watch). Honestly, I'd take either over an AP for their greater heft and superior WR.

If you sort of miss the 5-digit Sub but also like slightly larger sizes, why not try the Tudor BB 41 monochrome on the Jubilee? Doesn't have a date, but not sure how important that is to you.
Poodlopogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #4
stark1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/ALS/Omega
Wherever you end up, I rec no to the IWC Ingeniuer. It's a fantastic watch, but it'll get no love the second you get the RO. Similar watches in style, different leagues when it comes to finish.
stark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #5
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark1 View Post
Wherever you end up, I rec no to the IWC Ingeniuer. It's a fantastic watch, but it'll get no love the second you get the RO. Similar watches in style, different leagues when it comes to finish.
Not only this but the new Ingenieur is a dressed up $5k watch trying to capitalize on the RO craze. I say this as a non biased Ingenieur fan myself. Total cash grab w the movement it contains.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #6
Easy E
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

A watch box, for starters. Then the aqua Ingenieur. Maybe a Santos.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM   #7
Hank
"TRF" Member

It's a beautiful collection but if you must add, I would add another GMT on Jubilee as it's an entirely different animal - look and feel. A nice dressy piece such as a Lange would fit right in with your collection. Happy hunting!
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #8
ocb
"TRF" Member

5 digit LV
ocb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM   #9
Nova1
"TRF" Member

Breguet Tradition
Omega Speedmaster
JLC Polaris

I’m in love with Breguet at the moment I think it’s massively underrated.
Nova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #10
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Not a huge Tradition fan, but the Breguet Marine, particularly the PM versions on rubber, are beautifully different.

Also, want to add to my previous thoughts: I'd skip the Ingenieur, as I just don't think it's a five-figure watch. For a rugged, sharp-angled, integrated bracelet watch (i.e. not AP, GP, VC) in that price range, what about Zenith?
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #11
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy123 View Post
Hi team,

I've always liked the quintessential ubiquitous DJ, but find the 36mm too small and the 41mm weirdly bigger than my almost identical DD. Don't really miss my 5 digit sub, but do ponder getting the updated version "because I can and its still a cool watch".
Meant to respond to this in my initial post on this thread. What color DJ did you try? Dial-to-metal contrast matters and I also think the DJ 41 appears meatier on the wrist than the DD 40 because of the more sumptuous bezel.

Unless you absolutely need the date, did you consider the OP41? Bet that wears smaller than the DJ.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #12
YoyoGift8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Either the Blnr or Blro in jubilee.
YoyoGift8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #13
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Not only this but the new Ingenieur is a dressed up $5k watch trying to capitalize on the RO craze. I say this as a non biased Ingenieur fan myself. Total cash grab w the movement it contains.

With a comment like that, I seriously doubt you’ve handled the watch….
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM   #14
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
With a comment like that, I seriously doubt you’ve handled the watch….
I have, and many renowned watch review individuals have chirped the EXACT same thing I have. You’re absolutely out of it if you think IWC didn’t cheap out on the movement, and priced this watch with people who can’t get a RO in mind. As there is ZERO reason other than ‘let’s see if we can charge this much’, did they put the MSRP where they did instead of $6-$8k where logically fits. Again, it’s a cash grab, period.

Also, I specifically said *movement*, so how does ‘handling’ one change that opinion anyhow? Perhaps you own said watch and want to defend it, but what you should be doing is calling out the brand itself for trying to price stuff out of their league and affects consumers pockets directly.

Now with all that being said, as I already clearly said above, I DO like the Ingenieur’s aesthetics, am a fan, and the new model is great aesthetically. It’s still a deservingly $5-6k watch secondary though, $10k is way out of it’s league for what it is.
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #15
Scholar
"TRF" Member

It's insane how many people are replying telling you to buy another GMT-Master II or Submariner.

I think you'd find that JLC will offer something very complementary to what you already own. Grand Seiko is another one to consider; to me, they are very much the Asian JLC.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #16
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
You’re done
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #17
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
It's insane how many people are replying telling you to buy another GMT-Master II or Submariner.

I think you'd find that JLC will offer something very complementary to what you already own. Grand Seiko is another one to consider; to me, they are very much the Asian JLC.
I have to remind myself sometimes I’m on TRF, as I think it’s crazy too, sooo much overlap. Which is a shame, as a lot of times it’s simple a case of not wanting to go outside what they’re comfortable with, missing out on so many other good brands/design elements.
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #18
Cru Jones

Quote:
I have, and many renowned watch review individuals have chirped the EXACT same thing I have. You’re absolutely out of it if you think IWC didn’t cheap out on the movement, and priced this watch with people who can’t get a RO in mind. As there is ZERO reason other than ‘let’s see if we can charge this much’, did they put the MSRP where they did instead of $6-$8k where logically fits. Again, it’s a cash grab, period.

Also, I specifically said *movement*, so how does ‘handling’ one change that opinion anyhow? Perhaps you own said watch and want to defend it, but what you should be doing is calling out the brand itself for trying to price stuff out of their league and affects consumers pockets directly.

Now with all that being said, as I already clearly said above, I DO like the Ingenieur’s aesthetics, am a fan, and the new model is great aesthetically. It’s still a deservingly $5-6k watch secondary though, $10k is way out of it’s league for what it is.

Ok, have a nice day.
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #19
matthew P
"TRF" Member

Reaching the End with Rolex - Advice on Next Acquisition - DJ41, JLC, Ingeniuer

I’d wait out the APRO……
Not sure what color or size you are chasing but they are worth the effort IMO.

But if that dosnt work out I’d take a good hard look at the GP Lauretto….. it’s a fantastic watch as well.
And depending on your wrist size and preferences it may be a better fit than the 41 or 37mm RO.

..Explorer, Spring Diver & APRO..
matthew P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #20
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ok, have a nice day.
I figured an emoji was your best response, as there’s zero factual basis for what you said. Funny how that works.

Good day
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #21
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
"Hornswaggle!"

What a great word!
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #22
77T

Get the Patek. Go the secondary market route.

You won't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #23
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
GP Laureato, IWC Mark XX, Breitling Navitimer. All worth looking into.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #24
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
For me, always a Submariner is the answer.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #25
Cru Jones

Quote:
I figured an emoji was your best response, as there’s zero factual basis for what you said. Funny how that works.

Good day

Fine. Let's compare a Rolex Submariner or GMT and an Ingenieur:

* Finishing? Ingenieur is better in all facets.

* Movement? Ingenieur's specs are better than the 3135 or 3235. Is the Ingenieur's movement available in cheaper watches? Yes. But, last time I checked, one gets a whole watch when one buys an Ingenieur, not just a movement. Oh, and Rolex also uses non-date versions of its 3235 in cheaper watches like OPs...Does that mean a Sub or GMT also are 5k watches, and Rolex also a shameful money grabbing corporation like IWC?

* Dial? Ingenieur's dial is better finished, more interesting and has about 1,400 less words on it.

* Bracelet? I would say a tie....Perhaps the Rolex is more "solid", but the Ingenieur is better finished.

* Clasp? Yes, Rolex has micro-adjustment, but they are large and rather inelegant, especially in comparison to the Ingenieur's. Oh, and the Nautilus and RO don't have micro-adjustment clasps...Does that also make them 5k watches?

* Cost? Yes, the Ingenieur is overpriced. One pays at least 2k for the Genta heritage. For the same heritage, one can pay three times more for a Jumbo or 5711. And, so what? Subs and GMTs are overpriced, too. These are luxury watches.

Old Today, 12:43 AM   #26
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I think the new ingy is a very nice watch. I think if you can get one under 10k on the secondary market then it’s a good buy, IMO. Retail then agree with others that it’s too pricey.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #27
Barbara_C
"TRF" Member

From a female pov....you have a collection ti die for, but I would go VC Im not a AP fan or Patek either ....but to me I really love VC looks ....I've only seen one in the wild about two years ago at the Woodlands TPC......I guy had one on, he noticed I was looking at his watch and thought he is getting set up but I told him no.....ive never seen one only in Vegas at AD.....while waiting for our cars,I was in My friends Shelby he drove off in a AM vantage.
I was told he was some VP of EXXon.
Barbara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:12 AM   #28
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

* Movement? Ingenieur's specs are better than the 3135 or 3235. Is the Ingenieur's movement available in cheaper watches? Yes. But, last time I checked, one gets a whole watch when one buys an Ingenieur, not just a movement. Oh, and Rolex also uses non-date versions of its 3235 in cheaper watches like OPs...Does that mean a Sub or GMT also are 5k watches, and Rolex also a shameful money grabbing corporation like IWC?

* Dial? Ingenieur's dial is better finished, more interesting and has about 1,400 less words on it.

* Bracelet? I would say a tie....Perhaps the Rolex is more "solid", but the Ingenieur is better finished.

* Clasp? Yes, Rolex has micro-adjustment, but they are large and rather inelegant, especially in comparison to the Ingenieur's. Oh, and the Nautilus and RO don't have micro-adjustment clasps...Does that also make them 5k watches?

* Cost? Yes, the Ingenieur is overpriced. One pays at least 2k for the Genta heritage. For the same heritage, one can pay three times more for a Jumbo or 5711. And, so what? Subs and GMTs are overpriced, too. These are luxury watches.

You’ve certainly opened my eyes to the brand my friend
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:30 AM   #29
Yobber76

Watch: BLNR VTNR PAM 915
I think that Tudor Royal is a cool watch for the money.
What did you think of it?
Any negative feelings?
Yobber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:00 AM   #30
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:

For me, the Ingenieur isn't as overpriced relative to Rolex as it is relative to other, more similar watches.

When I think about three-handed, integrated bracelet watches that are $10-15,000, I think of:

GP Laureato (the clear winner)
Zenith Defy
Chopard Alpine Eagle

Each bests the Ingenieur in my mind.