The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 02:39 AM   #31
sycopupy
"TRF" Member

I'd hold out for the Patek or AP.
sycopupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:59 AM   #32
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlopogus View Post
For me, the Ingenieur isn't as overpriced relative to Rolex as it is relative to other, more similar watches.

When I think about three-handed, integrated bracelet watches that are $10-15,000, I think of:

GP Laureato (the clear winner)
Zenith Defy
Chopard Alpine Eagle

Each bests the Ingenieur in my mind.
I bought a Laureato today actually. Lol
dmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:00 AM   #33
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I like the aqua coloured ingenieur. I’m not a fan of the price or calling it an Ingy!

I was hoping it would be a good used buy - I’ve seen some keenly priced nearly new black dials but not the aqua as yet.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:34 AM   #34
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
For me, the Ingenieur isn't as overpriced relative to Rolex as it is relative to other, more similar watches.

When I think about three-handed, integrated bracelet watches that are $10-15,000, I think of:

GP Laureato (the clear winner)
Zenith Defy
Chopard Alpine Eagle

Each bests the Ingenieur in my mind.

All fine choices. IMHO, the Zenith and Chopard are let down by their bracelets. But the GP is a great choice.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:37 AM   #35
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You’ve certainly opened my eyes to the brand my friend

Brian. Lots of great options out there. Some would say too many (I would, as you know too well!!! )
Old Today, 04:37 AM   #36
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I bought a Laureato today actually. Lol

Cool, many congrats! Great watch.
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #37
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
All fine choices. IMHO, the Zenith and Chopard are let down by their bracelets. But the GP is a great choice.
Not buying a 38mm Laureato when they were 30% off and available in more dial colors is one of my great horological regrets . I actually prefer its overall package to the RO, largely due to specs.

On the others, I don't disagree, but you buys a Zenith for the movement, period. It's a legendary manufacture but the bracelet is definitely a letdown on the Skyline. Should have foregone the interchangeability component and just focused on crafting something on par w/the others. Far as I can tell, in the upper echelons of watchmaking, only VC has really nailed this.

I actually liked the heft of the AE bracelet and thought the workmanship looked good. And while I think the base movement is probably better than what IWC uses, you definitely have to break the $20,000 barrier to get their really interesting movements.

Worth noting that I was trying the 36mm version of each (38mm GP back when there were more dial options), which I prefer. However, aside from typically having a less sophisticated movement, I think the points you raise apply across the board.
Poodlopogus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:12 AM   #38
watchboynyc
"TRF" Member

I think you might be done with AP once you get the royal oak, unless you are ok with getting different variations of the RO.

As others have suggested you may want to venture into VC but know that you wont get an overseas as your first watch. Just like you wont get a nautilus as your first Patek.

I believe i've satisfied my Rolex itch and I'm looking into VC, JLC and of course Patek.
watchboynyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:31 AM   #39
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not only this but the new Ingenieur is a dressed up $5k watch trying to capitalize on the RO craze. I say this as a non biased Ingenieur fan myself. Total cash grab w the movement it contains.
I've tried it a few times and it's a great watch, but I'd concur that it's overpriced, in fact most watches these days are stupidly priced.
dannyboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:32 AM   #40
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
Based on the watches you have, consider a VC overseas
I have, but the versions I like (blue dial) are boutique only (I think) and my AD can't get 'em. I'm in NZ so we're light on AD's.
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #41
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not a huge Tradition fan, but the Breguet Marine, particularly the PM versions on rubber, are beautifully different.

Also, want to add to my previous thoughts: I'd skip the Ingenieur, as I just don't think it's a five-figure watch. For a rugged, sharp-angled, integrated bracelet watch (i.e. not AP, GP, VC) in that price range, what about Zenith?
D'you know what, I think you've provided the solution. I'd forgotten about these, I always liked them. Breguet Marine might be the go.
Old Today, 06:35 AM   #42
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
"Hornswaggle!"

What a great word!
My bad. It's actually Hornswoggle.
Old Today, 06:36 AM   #43
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew P View Post
I’d wait out the APRO……
Not sure what color or size you are chasing but they are worth the effort IMO.

But if that dosnt work out I’d take a good hard look at the GP Lauretto….. it’s a fantastic watch as well.
And depending on your wrist size and preferences it may be a better fit than the 41 or 37mm RO.

..Explorer, Spring Diver & APRO..
That's an epic watch. I'm after the 41mm in any flavour.
Old Today, 06:41 AM   #44
dannyboy123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobber76 View Post
I think that Tudor Royal is a cool watch for the money.
What did you think of it?
Any negative feelings?
I highly rated it, a good watch to scratch the integrated itch. I sold mine to a mate because I bought the 38mm (not the 41mm blue above) and it just felt too small. I'll probably get a 41mm at some stage. it's a really nice watch. Amazed we don't se more of them to be frank.
Old Today, 07:27 AM   #45
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy123 View Post
I highly rated it, a good watch to scratch the integrated itch. I sold mine to a mate because I bought the 38mm (not the 41mm blue above) and it just felt too small. I'll probably get a 41mm at some stage. it's a really nice watch. Amazed we don't se more of them to be frank.
As a small watch lover, I've always kinda liked the 34mm version, with the silver dial. However I think it probably doesn't get as much love as the design should because it's still yet to be updated with the Tudor MT movements. While the Selita-based versions are no doubt very reliable, the specs on the Kenissi-produced calibres are quite impressive.
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #46
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Yes, I would work towards the 41mm RO as your next one.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:07 AM   #47
CHJason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
If one wants to buy the GP you’d be better off with a Bulgari Octo Finissimo. More interesting movement, more horologically significant watch, octagonal design with a lot more facets and complexity, and insanely comfortable to wear
CHJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:11 AM   #48
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Time for a SkyD, Air-King, EXP I, II ...and of course a YG DeepSea.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:33 AM   #49
TopNotchChach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
baaalllllin!
I love that day-date
TopNotchChach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:44 AM   #50
mpkRolex

Watch: Pepsi & Starbucks
Your root beer is gorgeous. Tell you what, just sell all of them and get a meteorite dial Pepsi

"Rolex is highly addictive. Please shop responsibly"
mpkRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:44 AM   #51
Scholar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have to remind myself sometimes I’m on TRF, as I think it’s crazy too, sooo much overlap. Which is a shame, as a lot of times it’s simple a case of not wanting to go outside what they’re comfortable with, missing out on so many other good brands/design elements.
Honestly at that point it borders on just bad taste. Someone makes a thread about being basically fulfilled in his exploration of Rolex so he wants to check out other things, and they respond not only demanding that he get more Rolex but get the same watches he has already all over again. They're not even suggesting something different within Rolex!
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #52
Poodlopogus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJason View Post
If one wants to buy the GP you’d be better off with a Bulgari Octo Finissimo. More interesting movement, more horologically significant watch, octagonal design with a lot more facets and complexity, and insanely comfortable to wear
Unless you're talking about the Ultra, I don't see what is more "horoligicaly significant" about the Finissimo than the Laureato. GP has centuries more history in watchmaking and while the Octo design is cool, I'm not sure it'll have the same staying power.

Like Chopard or Piaget, I think Bulgari still has some difficulty of crossing the chasm from "jewelry that tells time" to "timepieces" in the minds of many.
Old Today, 09:14 AM   #53
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHJason View Post
I think those two watches hit different spectrums. The Bvlgari I could only ever see myself wearing with dressy attire, the GP is an all rounder. And it’s why I bought it. The Octo is super cool to look at but I didn’t like it open wrist, my opinion.
dmash is online now   Reply With Quote