The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #1
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Rolex patent marks the end of flipping?

https://youtu.be/eMPMzFlb1sk?si=5l4fOOqudi0YKNFG

If this is true then the AD will know when the watch has been flipped ie when the new owner requests to be registered on the database.
SamArj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Anytime a secondary owner interacts with Rolex they know the watch has changed owners. Most people believe Rolex is more concerned with the pieces which gain value on the used market over the pieces which lose value. When Rolex is asked to authenticate a new Daytona, the rep will probably be in touch with the selling AD.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #3
116510lv
"TRF" Member

Rolex don't care if your watch is sold.

Ad's care.

Rolex are a charity who make timepieces and are only interested in one thing.... To make money.

They don't care about keeping people safe, the grey market etc.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
116510lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #4
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Anytime a secondary owner interacts with Rolex they know the watch has changed owners. Most people believe Rolex is more concerned with the pieces which gain value on the used market over the pieces which lose value. When Rolex is asked to authenticate a new Daytona, the rep will probably be in touch with the selling AD.

Yes but usually the second owner only presents to the AD when there is a fault or it needs a service, ie 5+ years in the future.
With this new proposal lets say I get a watch from the AD today. Tomorrow I flip it to a grey dealer who sells to a new client. The new client wants his name registered against the watch and contacts Rolex. At that point it becomes apparent that I flipped the watch within 24/48 hours of purchasing it.

That's why I'm saying that if this new system comes to pass then the days of serial flipping are thankfully over.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #5
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamArj View Post
Yes but usually the second owner only presents to the AD when there is a fault or it needs a service, ie 5+ years in the future.
With this new proposal lets say I get a watch from the AD today. Tomorrow I flip it to a grey dealer who sells to a new client. The new client wants his name registered against the watch and contacts Rolex. At that point it becomes apparent that I flipped the watch within 24/48 hours of purchasing it.

That's why I'm saying that if this new system comes to pass then the days of serial flipping are thankfully over.
AP has registered watches to their owners for years, and one can still get any hot model on the grey market. If demand is strong enough/premium high enough, some will accept burning bridges with their boutique, others will look for a "safe sale".
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST // 26715.ST.ZZ || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I don't think this will have the impact some think it might. Rolex is in the wholesale watch business and does not care about the sales as long as the sales do not impact the value or image of the brand. AD's might be another story but they know who is selling/trading/flipping typically from the get go. If an average customer is allocated a watch, not a Daytona/BLRO/BLNR or such, and then sales or flips it they do not care as they are just happy to move another DJ/AK/OP etc. Sell or flip one of the other watches and some AD's act like you have committed treason. But as a buyer how many allocations are you going to get for hot watches and what is your spend total to get there? In the end, it is about money. I know several Whales who spend in excess of 500k a year on watches and they continue to get desirable watches across several desirable brands and they sell or trade most of them. AD's response, ok, thanks for the money. The Game of flipping will not be over, it will just change.

Last edited by 1William; Yesterday at 11:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #7
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:

Its your property you can do what you like with it once you have bought the watch, if you can get 'hot' watches out of the AD on a regular basis and want to sell each and every one within 48 hours of picking it up then good luck to you.

Nothing Rolex does can stop you from doing this, its your property.

Having said that I don't like flippers and won't buy from a grey dealer just to get the latest stupidly named hot watch.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #8
Kingcobb
"TRF" Member

I seriously doubt the idea that ADs actually care if you flip a watch. They got their commission, you bought a watch you didn't really want, made some money, and upped your spend. Everyone is happy except the people who would've actually liked to buy that watch. Rolex isn't going to tell your AD someone flipped it and your AD isn't going to have access to the database to check it every morning to see who is flipping watches.....
Kingcobb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #9
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
So Rolex just gave themselves a new job policing the after sales of their watches? Nah…

The key qualifier in Vinny’s video was, “ …in my opinion.”
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #10
ltmgeller

Watch: Rolex
Rolex cares and AD's care. Rolex monitors flipping and use the info to pull AD status. AD's monitor so they don't lose AD status.
Old Today, 12:53 AM   #11
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltmgeller View Post
Rolex cares and AD's care. Rolex monitors flipping and use the info to pull AD status. AD's monitor so they don't lose AD status.
Doubt that Rolex would care about flippers. Both Rolex and the AD if really care enough, would have come up with a method or policy to end the flippers a long time ago.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #12
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Its your property you can do what you like with it once you have bought the watch, if you can get 'hot' watches out of the AD on a regular basis and want to sell each and every one within 48 hours of picking it up then good luck to you.

Nothing Rolex does can stop you from doing this, its your property.

Having said that I don't like flippers and won't bu
from a grey dealer just to get the latest stupidly named hot watch.

What are you talking about? Of course they can stop you flipping, the AD will blacklist you and won't sell you another Rolex. You can't flip what you can't buy.
My AD is very clear, sell a hot watch within two years and he won't sell me another Rolex.
I'm ok with that.
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #13
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopi-c View Post
Doubt that Rolex would care about flippers. Both Rolex and the AD if really care enough, would have come up with a method or policy to end the flippers a long time ago.

They've come out with it now though.
Their primary goal probably isn't to stop flippers per se, they want to make more money by controlling the resale market. The byproduct will be that flipping will become a lot more difficult
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #14
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Rolex really doesn’t care.
Very obvious since they removed the buyers name from the recent upgraded warranty card.

They cannot be anything other than very happy with the market as it including the flipping business and AD’s offloading their less popular models to resellers.
Brand is stronger than ever, demand is huge and everything they make gets sold.
Absolutely zero incentive for Rolex to change anything at all.
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #15
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

On which planet are the legal owners of luxury goods not allowed to sell them?
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #16
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Rolex really doesn’t care.
Very obvious since they removed the buyers name from the recent upgraded warranty card.

They cannot be anything other than very happy with the market as it including the flipping business and AD’s offloading their less popular models to resellers.
Brand is stronger than ever, demand is huge and everything they make gets sold.
Absolutely zero incentive for Rolex to change anything at all.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Pluto, but everyone knows it's a Mickey Mouse planet.

Uranus is pretty open to just about anything, tho I prefer Mars (even tho they need women).

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:34 AM   #18
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I think it will depend on the market at that time.

This anti-flipping Or anti-grey dealer thing Only came about like 2019 and will gradually fade as demand meets supply.

If they really wanted to stop this, all they need to do is go to c24 or 47th St. Buy up hundreds of new inventory from these gray dealers. Check their serial on where they came from. Punish the dealers and blacklist buyers. Redistribute watches through their CPO program at Bucherer. Then, publicize through all online channels what they have done to bust the dealers. The overall cost of this is little to none because they will still have a margin between the 47th St. price and their own CPO prices.

Quote:
https://youtu.be/eMPMzFlb1sk?si=5l4fOOqudi0YKNFG

If this is true then the AD will know when the watch has been flipped ie when the new owner requests to be registered on the database.
SLWoodster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:42 AM   #19
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

No planet that I have been to or plan to visit.

Of course you can sell whatever you own. It's immediately flipping every hot watch you are allocated is what I am referring to. My AD would blacklist anyone who did that and they wouldn't get another allocation.

But we all know this, so why the confusion?