The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 01:23 AM   #31
"TRF" Member

I would get something as different from the explorer as possible.
1259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:02 AM   #32
Poodlopogus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspl View Post
You've convinced me to take a look at tudor more closely. I do like rugged. Do you know how they compare to a seamaster or planet ocean? What are the advantages of aluminum vs ceramic?
I think the current Tudor BB lineup is probably comparable to a Seamaster 300 but is a bit smaller and thinner (and w/o the helium release valve). SMP probably also has a bit more heft to it, and perhaps slightly nicer finishing (its MSRP is almost 2x that of the Tudor). Specs are comparable, other than WR, where the SMP is 300m and the Tudors are 200m.

PO is another beast entirely; way thicker and heavier but also with 3x the WR of the Tudor.

Also forgot about the blue Pelagos in titanium...

As to aluminum vs ceramic, it's probably 75% aesthetic preference. I like the look of old school aluminum inserts - Rolex was always at its best when keeping things simplest in my opinion.
Poodlopogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM   #33
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
I’ll go against the grain and vote for the green Seamaster, which I think would be the perfect foil to your Explorer. It’s a real chameleon in terms of colour, has fantastic bracelet adjustability, fit and finish to match a Sub and superb legibility due to its outstanding AR coating. At the price point it’s a really great piece and would give you a brilliant Rolex/Omega combo.
Number3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:33 AM   #34
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
get the gmt ii on jubilee, preferably the Pepsi or batgirl
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #35
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldofoyster View Post
get the gmt ii on jubilee, preferably the Pepsi or batgirl
Impossible for me to get a pepsi right? I have a purchase history of one explorer. I prefer the Batman colours though anyway. Maybe impossible to get that as well.
Purspl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #36
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
I’ll go against the grain and vote for the green Seamaster, which I think would be the perfect foil to your Explorer. It’s a real chameleon in terms of colour, has fantastic bracelet adjustability, fit and finish to match a Sub and superb legibility due to its outstanding AR coating. At the price point it’s a really great piece and would give you a brilliant Rolex/Omega combo.
All great points. I do like the shade of green on that seamaster. If I choose that I may take the rubber band instead of the bracelet. I thought I didn't mind it but when I saw it in a shop it actually did look quite old fashioned to me.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #37
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlopogus View Post
I think the current Tudor BB lineup is probably comparable to a Seamaster 300 but is a bit smaller and thinner (and w/o the helium release valve). SMP probably also has a bit more heft to it, and perhaps slightly nicer finishing (its MSRP is almost 2x that of the Tudor). Specs are comparable, other than WR, where the SMP is 300m and the Tudors are 200m.

PO is another beast entirely; way thicker and heavier but also with 3x the WR of the Tudor.

Also forgot about the blue Pelagos in titanium...

As to aluminum vs ceramic, it's probably 75% aesthetic preference. I like the look of old school aluminum inserts - Rolex was always at its best when keeping things simplest in my opinion.
Thanks for the comments on tudor; I really haven't researched them much before. I think I had a bias that they were below rolex and omega in quality and the designs were simply close rolex copies.

Importantly, I'm trying to think of a situation where I would wake up in the morning and actively choose to wear a tudor instead of the rolex explorer that I already have. I'm thinking if I already have an explorer, when would I wear a tudor instead? In my mind my second watch has to be the same level of quality(at least in my head).
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #38
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I have an Explorer 36 and a Sub Date. I believe it’s the perfect pair and could see myself being happy with only those 2 if I had to.

However, since you mentioned wanting some color (I can see that!), I would highly suggest checking out the dark blue Omega Planet Ocean (something you mentioned). It’s a gorgeous watch, easy to obtain, quite different than the Explorer but also kind of matching on the dial.

Pretty much ticks all the boxes you were asking about and would be a fantastic pair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #39
dg8dg7
"TRF" Member

I would encourage you to consider a Tudor as well, and try to go in as unbiased as possible (I know, nearly impossible with all of those poor man rolex comments). You have a great model of the crown, and realistically, if you aren't wanting to go grey the watches that would fit your criteria are not going to be offered to you anytime soon. Starbucks, batman, and Pepsi are tough to get, even today.

It's funny, after getting my first Rolex (batman), I find the watch I am missing the most these days is a Tudor black bay 54 I got rid of to fund my GMT purchase. I think when all the hype and noise around you disappears, it becomes easier to see what you like for yourself.

Give Tudor and Omega a fair shake. Go try them on, take wrist shots, mull on them, and think about what you are looking for in the next piece that doesn't have to be related to a name. Bigger wrist? I would hunt for the new black bay Chrono blue. Wow, it was STUNNING when I tried it on. Get the burgundy black bay for a pop of colour, or the green sea master on a green rubber strap. These are all fantastic watches. Heck, go for the Speedie. She ain't no explorer (sorry I happen to think that she's miles better hahaha). Smaller wrist, try the black bay 58 blue, or the bronze edition for a different pace, or the 54 in all its plain perfection.

I think what I'm saying is that there are some incredible options out there in just 2 brands, so don't Pidgeon hole yourself into only another Rolex.

Here are some pics including your explorer 40 to give you more of a hard time deciding what to do next hahaha!
20230817_132800.jpg20230904_104819.jpgPXL_20221109_033141719.jpgPXL_20220804_002612870.jpgPXL_20201201_041207533.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk
dg8dg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #40
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
My recommendation is DJ41 with the Wimbledon dial. It is the perfect companion to an Explorer. Get one on the jubilee for some bracelet variety, and smooth bezel if you want a little more sporty, fluted if you want more flashy and dressy.

If I am perfectly honest, these two might just fit the bill for a perfect two-piece collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg djexp.jpg (278.1 KB, 97 views)
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #41
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
If I am perfectly honest, these two might just fit the bill for a perfect two-piece collection.
While I reckon there are no wrong choices, those two really are perfect. Outstanding!
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #42
HogwldFLTR
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Too many to list!
Really? A watch should be something that draws you into buying it. Just keep reading the pages here and you'll pretty much see most of the Rolex catalog. Go for the one that calls you.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM   #43
Purspl
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the comments and discussions. It has helped me think about what I am looking for to complement my explorer, what I am looking for in my second watch. This now is my list in order with my thinking...

1. Green starbucks sub - colour I like, quality bracelet I like - not flashy
2. Polar explorer 2 - colour I like, nice gmt function, good bracelet. Might be a bit big - need to try it on if possible
3. Batman gmt - colour I like, nice gmt function, pcl bracelet might be a bit sparkly for my taste
4. Seaweed seamaster - colour I like, would buy on rubber
5. Planet ocean - colour undecided
5. A tudor but not sure which yet still need to research

I will ask for the top 3 at my ad. Realistically I would probably take the first one that appears of the top 3!
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #44
Mr Ben
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Based on your various comments, I think you’re going to love the Explorer II. It sounds like you want sporty and want to avoid flashy/ sparkly and it does a great job at that

Secondly, your main concern with it seems to be the size and I think as soon as you try it on, those concerns will disappear - it’s quite slim and doesn’t wear as large as all the Internet forums might have you think it will.
Mr Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #45
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

My Rolex collection was initially going to be an Explorer II and a Sub Date. For me the latter would also go well with an Explorer, although I'd probably have an OP or a Milgauss in preference to the Explorer.

It's impossible to say what would suit you. That's your call. A nice problem to have nevertheless.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM   #46
Poodlopogus
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the comments on tudor; I really haven't researched them much before. I think I had a bias that they were below rolex and omega in quality and the designs were simply close rolex copies.

Importantly, I'm trying to think of a situation where I would wake up in the morning and actively choose to wear a tudor instead of the rolex explorer that I already have. I'm thinking if I already have an explorer, when would I wear a tudor instead? In my mind my second watch has to be the same level of quality(at least in my head).
I used to feel the same. What changed my mind were some of the Tudor releases the past couple years (BB54, BB 36, BB58 GMT). I prefer the style of five-digit (and earlier) Rolexes, and the specs of the Tudors are pretty hard to ignore, especially for someone who prefers smaller watches.
Old Today, 01:36 AM   #47
Zorro79
"TRF" Member

I'm going to go against the grain, and your initial request, and suggest you get one of the several "strap monster" watches out there. A white dial Speedmaster would do well, or perhaps a Cartier Santos. Something that you could get several straps for that would add variety and excitement to the collection for when you inevitably get bored. Just a thought.
Zorro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:55 AM   #48
Torshalla
"TRF" Member

I would go for a GMT, Batman being my personnal preference.

My favorite Rolex is the Sub (black, no date). But I cannot recommend it if you have an Explorer already.
I love the Explorer, but I cannot justify buying one as it is too similar to my Sub in functionality.

Explorer II would be nice too.

Another option could be a SkyDweller :). Half way sporty half way dressed with an oyster bracelet and super cool complication…

Torshalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:07 AM   #49
Poodlopogus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlopogus View Post
I used to feel the same. What changed my mind were some of the Tudor releases the past couple years (BB54, BB 36, BB58 GMT). I prefer the style of five-digit (and earlier) Rolexes, and the specs of the Tudors are pretty hard to ignore, especially for someone who prefers smaller watches.
Can't edit for some reason, but wanted to add...

There were two things that previously kept me from embracing Tudor: the use of unnecessarily chunky crowns and cases, and what were essentially stock sourced movements. Didn't like the aesthetics of the first, nor did I want to pay those prices for the second.

Tudor was a "lesser Rolex" back when it used Rolex's components (cases, crowns, bracelets) paired with lesser movements (off-the-shelf and inferior to those sourced from Aegler for Rolex). After all, the exterior is where Rolex made the majority of its innovations during the middle 50 years of the last century. Today, however, that's changed and the movements that Tudor uses are far more impressive. Yes, versions of them are also sold to others, but Rolex/Tudor developed them entirely and in some ways I think they are more reliable than the current Rolex units.
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #50
derrondoc
2024 Pledge Member

I'd suggest putting in for the Sub LV and the GMT of your choice, both likely a bit of wait. But while you are waiting, I'd echo the recommendations to check out Tudor. I had a similar sentiment about when I would wear one. But as it has been laid out Tudor is a solid watch in its own right. I personally am not a fan of the gilt or aged look, but I have the BB41 Monochrome and it has become one of my favorite watches to wear. I have the 5-link jubilee style bracelet and the OEM rubber - both give it a look that is very different to a Sub but still familiar with a hint of both vintage and modern. It is a nice watch IMO. It doesn't give you any color but between the BB41 and my Explorer I'm set for a GADA daily .... as I wait for my call/text to come pick up a SS Sub.
derrondoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #51
Za1
"TRF" Member

I would say go Rootbeer, unbelievable in flesh

Za1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:19 AM   #52
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
1. Speedmaster white dial
2. DJ41 blue or green dial
3. BLNR/BLRO
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #53
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
There are plenty of Rolex options… but if buying only 1 more watch (yeah, right… :)) look at other brands too. A green GO SeaQ would be a great option.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:26 PM   #54
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
There are plenty of Rolex options… but if buying only 1 more watch (yeah, right… :)) look at other brands too. A green GO SeaQ would be a great option.

Exactly, I wondered this too. That’s why I pushed the Planet Ocean :)

Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:38 PM   #55
Krash
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Thanks for all the comments and discussions. It has helped me think about what I am looking for to complement my explorer, what I am looking for in my second watch. This now is my list in order with my thinking...

1. Green starbucks sub - colour I like, quality bracelet I like - not flashy
2. Polar explorer 2 - colour I like, nice gmt function, good bracelet. Might be a bit big - need to try it on if possible
3. Batman gmt - colour I like, nice gmt function, pcl bracelet might be a bit sparkly for my taste
4. Seaweed seamaster - colour I like, would buy on rubber
5. Planet ocean - colour undecided
5. A tudor but not sure which yet still need to research

I will ask for the top 3 at my ad. Realistically I would probably take the first one that appears of the top 3!
I wouldn't get the GMT on an Oyster bracelet. I don't like the PCLs...I prefer the jubilee and that's what I have.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:47 PM   #56
noshame
"TRF" Member

BLNR, but it has to be on JUBILEE. That duo would cover most bases. Good luck!
Old Today, 03:33 PM   #57
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Following everyone's idea of going a little dressier... I think a good end-game, final complement to the understated, modern, simple, time only Rolex explorer is a Rainbow Daytona. It's at the other end of the cost spectrum.

It will be up for auction in November. An investment piece for sure.

Quote:
Hello everyone

I'm looking for a second and final watch to join my explorer 40mm. I would like it to be a bit sportier and with some colour. The explorer is formal enough for me to wear with suits for work and it also does very well on weekends. But I am going to buy a second watch anyway.

I've looked at the Batman gmt, the Rootbeer gmt, the polar explorer 2, the starbucks sub, the green seamaster and a couple of planet oceans.

Anyone had similar decisions to make or have any thoughts on which model may best fit my bill? Thanks.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:24 PM   #58
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

I recommend a two-tone DJ to partner with the Explorer.
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote