The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #1
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Simply the best Submariner I've owned Rolex 5510 RAN

Some of you may remember myself and another gentleman talking about 5510 Big Crown Submariners supplied to the Royal Australian Navy a few months ago, well as we met here it only seemed polite to give those interested an update, maybe some of you will enjoy seeing the watch , half a world of travel to discuss and share and I was very grateful to come home the new owner of what is probably the best Submariner I've been lucky enough to own...... period... and that's a big statement for me.

I do appreciate that I am very lucky , I get to bounce around the world hunting watches and get to handle some of the most amazing and special examples , often from original owners whose stories i can listen to for hours . Many of the watches I handle never get seen in public before going into some of the more discrete collections around the world especially if they are duplicates of something I already have in my own collection , but this one is so special and close to my heart I had to share it here in full where I met the owner seemed rude not to.

I think this is EASILY the best Submariner I have been lucky enough to own ... Milsub, 369, Big crown "Bond" Submariner, original provenance , condition ...it is all here a one watch complete Submariner collection .

Having owned almost 100 Milsub's now , dozen. and dozens of Comex , Arab logo dials , bucketloads of Paul Newman Daytonas and crazy museum quality 369 dial civilian submariners , I have to say, for me personally this watch has ticked every single box as a plastic Australian that now calls this place home and as a diehard tool watch collector .

Having talked a few months ago , we arranged to meet next time I was in UK, Ironically him being an Aussie living in UK and me being a pommie in Australia. I headed over for Goodwood revival in September and had the pleasure to pop in for a pint en route to talk all things RAN for an hour ..... almost 5 hours (and a parking fine later )the world was set straight , I had drooled sufficiently all over the watch , the history of the RAN Clearance diving teams, and the fantastic life the original owner had lived across the globe.

The watch in question is to date the only known 'Full spec ' 1958 Rolex 5510 big crown Rolex Submariner still with original radium lume '369' dial ( I was fortunate enough to be able to take 3 other 5510 to compare geiger reads to confirm my own visual pre. inspection ).

issued to the original owner by the Royal Australian Navy and until now still owned by the son of the original recipient , a well documented officer in the RAN clearance diver teams .

For those that don't know, which will be most , Circa 1963 , following the radium scares at the start of the 1960's it is felt the RAN 5510 still in service were recalled and relumed using (a slightly unsightly) tritium based compound and put back into service . Of the 5 watches known to date , 4 have relumed dials ( one of which was formerly mine) , one has been relumed again in more recent times and one watch does retain what is possibly the original lume but without any RAN stores numbers .

Of the known watches only a single watch , one of the re-lumed watches, retains its original RAN issue numbers , most numbers likely removed prior to disposal at clearance Auction in the 1980's and 90's.

Of the known watches none have RAN owner provenance beyond being possibly bought at disposal auction.

Luckily for me , this watch was issued to the officer after qualifying as a clearance diver and joining CDT1 , but was damaged in action on an arduous recovery job somewhere early in 1962 at Botany Bay ( see attached letter ) .

With a big chunk out of the glass and a stalled centre second hand the watch was demoted to be wearable on dry land only and mostly thrown in a kit drawer until being bought out by the officer later in his career when leaving the service ( and going on to other worldwide adventures ! ) whilst he I guess just went and got another from stores.

The watch remains as it left the factory and issued , in full original spec , beat up a bit as you'd expect . The glass is chipped ( but polished smooth with time and now polywatch ) the centre second hand white paint has all but faded away and doesn't run , the minute cracked hand lume was floating around in there but has been pulled out now and luckily hadn't damaged the dial !

The well documented officer had some high profile exploits clearing unexploded mines in Australia and meeting his son and listening to the stories his dad relayed to him , not just from the time in the CD teams, but also later in live an 'independent contractor" , international art dealer and then salvor has been a real pleasure ....

Luckily his son also still had a copy of the Royal Australian Navy clearance divers full manual, first issued in 1966 , which I don't believe any of us have ever seen before ( telephone directory thick ! ) which details every single aspect of being a Clearance Diver , training , procedures , kit , and of course plenty of Australian humour , because well you know , it's not the British Navy 😜...

There is a nice section on watches featuring a picture of a 5510 , and a section on the watches and who got them , making it indisputable they were issued to RAN.

With a memory stick full of military service records , extracts from several books quoting and mentioning the diver , and of course photos I've got plenty of reading ahead .

The glass will have to be replaced , seals replaced. the movement serviced and the hands stabilised , maybe a pearl , but then she's good to go !!!

Milsub , 369 dial , big crown , provenance ..... I think that's it ...I may have concluded the watch game !!

Shown here with my A6538 red depth 369 , my RAAF 5510 found rusted solid in a bag of broken watches a few years ago , I reckon it's a pretty nice triple set .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4969.jpg (192.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0116.jpg (61.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4949.jpg (97.4 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5055.JPG (94.9 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4982.JPG (111.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5011.jpg (145.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5012.jpg (130.9 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5013.jpg (152.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 5578AD62-25DB-4234-BA4F-92F46DF22EEA.jpg (107.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4974.jpg (83.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4951.jpg (216.8 KB, 129 views)
jedly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM   #2
jedly1
"TRF" Member

bit more

you get the idea....big memory stick to read. !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5131.jpg (150.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5143.jpg (127.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5142.jpg (153.2 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4975.JPG (85.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5141.jpg (168.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4832.jpg (162.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg key to Surfers.jpg (35.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5184.jpg (287.6 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5185.jpg (47.4 KB, 113 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Surfers Paradise (2)1966.pdf (59.0 KB, 14 views)
jedly1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #3
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Fantastic story and fabulous watch
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:56 AM   #4
jamie mcilhatton
"TRF" Member

Fantastic post and watch
jamie mcilhatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #5
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Once in a life time for most, huge congratulations. M
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

That watch has everything going for it.
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #7
Pete17
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats Jed on a great find! I know how you’ve loved these milsubs for decades and this one takes the cake. Looking forward to seeing it in person

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Bravo
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM   #9
cowboy music
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Amazing! Thanks for sharing. That's a wonderful story.

cowboy music is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #10
00Seven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega
Amazing. Congrats!
00Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #11
Autococker07
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710
Wow, thats an amazing watch!
Autococker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #12
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Wow. Just fantastic ��
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #13
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
A fabulous watch with some amazing history
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #14
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Thank you so much for sharing. Glad you were able to acquire this one.
Amazing piece of history
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #15
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

What an incredible piece of history. Would you (or anyone here) have a link to the most concise history of the big crowns? There’s a lot online but some conflicting info.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #16
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
thanks for the post so refreshing to read with all the other incoming posts or what watch to buy or wear
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #17
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Very nice.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:21 AM   #18
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Very nice.