The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 October 2024, 09:32 PM   #1
EverCloserUnion
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DateJust 41
Fun with maths - grey market and waiting lists

Hello all,

I’ve been thinking about the relationship between Rolex waiting lists and the spread between MSRP and grey market prices.
Could we develop a model to ‘predict’ the waiting list length from the MSRP / grey difference?

I’ve had a bash at it. My assumptions / and approach:

Data sample:
I focused on the OP 41 (available in the UK – 2024 watches) with currently available dial colours as the differentiator. I mined the data from Chrono24 and took an average (mean) for each dial colour and calculated the ‘spread’ between MSRP and the average grey market price.

Known’ waiting times: I put myself on the waiting list for an OP41 some months ago (prior to buying my DJ41), so I’ve used the waiting times as relayed to me by the SA (circa 2 years for silver, up to three years for green, and around 7 years for the celebration).
As far as the model goes, I’ve assumped the position of a potential buyer with ‘minimum standing’ with the AD (positioned to be seriously placed on the waiting list but not of sufficient standing to queue jump).

Methodology:

Polynomial interpolation: Used to populate the unknown data points outside the ‘known’ years.
Value at zero years: A purely theoretical Rolex which is available on demand at just about any AD is assumed to have a MSRP / grey spread of -33% (the average day one loss applicable to competitor watches from Omega, Breitling, etc that are available from dealers with zero wait).
Terminal value: Taken to be 100% spread at 10 years (to avoid bumping up against price elasticity of demand issues).

Testing beyond OP41:

I used the 2024 SS Daytona as an example (again, 2024 watches available in the UK). The MSRP / grey spread is 63% (percentage difference).
According to Luxury Bazaar (based on scraping of Reddit Rolex waiting time spreads), the waiting time for a Daytona is one to five years (so assume five years for a customer with minimum standing with an AD).
You’ll see from the chart / table that the model (based on the price spread) does indeed point to a waiting time of circa five years.

Formula / polynomial chart:

Output table:

EverCloserUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 09:42 PM   #2
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
Excellent!

Even more excellent if you could update the model with data points of buyers from ADs.

I bought a two-tone Daytona in 2023 when the grey market had it for sale at 20% over MSRP. I waited one year.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 09:45 PM   #3
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

lol 1-5 year for a SS Daytona is not accurate at all.

LEGIT customers with huge spend can’t even get one after 5 years at some ADs. I can speak firsthand from that.

1-5 years with zero purchase history would be less than a 1% chance, at almost every dealer, worldwide.
Old 7 October 2024, 09:52 PM   #4
EverCloserUnion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
lol 1-5 year for a SS Daytona is not accurate at all.

LEGIT customers with huge spend can’t even get one after 5 years at some ADs. I can speak firsthand from that.

1-5 years with zero purchase history would be less than a 1% chance, at almost every dealer, worldwide.

As stated, the model is based on 'minimum standing' at an AD: the standard to get a serious place on the list but not to get what ever you want in a matter of days.
So no... no assumption of a zero spend walk-in getting a Daytona.
Old 7 October 2024, 09:54 PM   #5
EverCloserUnion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
Excellent!

Even more excellent if you could update the model with data points of buyers from ADs.

I bought a two-tone Daytona in 2023 when the grey market had it for sale at 20% over MSRP. I waited one year.
Many thanks - do you mind if I ask about your status when you approached the AD? Decent spend history?
Old 7 October 2024, 09:55 PM   #6
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverCloserUnion View Post
Many thanks - do you mind if I ask about your status when you approached the AD? Decent spend history?
0 spend-history.

Two-tone Daytonas have always been the easiest to get, so a one-year wait list is even a little long, even given the height the market had climbed to.
PenDelicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 10:23 PM   #7
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverCloserUnion View Post
As stated, the model is based on 'minimum standing' at an AD: the standard to get a serious place on the list but not to get what ever you want in a matter of days.
So no... no assumption of a zero spend walk-in getting a Daytona.
Ahh. I complete missed that sentence. Should be ashamed as I deal with biostats/medical literature constantly

Ok that’s reasonable, good data here
Old 7 October 2024, 10:24 PM   #8
fly4food84
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I like it, except we need to sadly make it more complicated by using some coefficients or something.

Example: customer spend brackets.

The more I think about it the more I think the spend starts after you generate “interest/register” in a watch. All the money you spent prior to that is weighed less.

I texted my SA last week and he said he’d add me to their register then came back and offered me a blue dial OP (completely random). Almost as if… buy this and maybe I’ll really keep you in mind - which is likely true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fly4food84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2024, 11:12 PM   #9
EverCloserUnion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4food84 View Post
I like it, except we need to sadly make it more complicated by using some coefficients or something.

Example: customer spend brackets.

The more I think about it the more I think the spend starts after you generate “interest/register” in a watch. All the money you spent prior to that is weighed less.

I texted my SA last week and he said he’d add me to their register then came back and offered me a blue dial OP (completely random). Almost as if… buy this and maybe I’ll really keep you in mind - which is likely true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those are great points. And you're right... it needs more complexity to bring nuance. Perhaps a bit too ceteris paribus right now.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM   #10
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Just my anecdotal evidence from dealing with the same AD since 2017.
They are a high volume Rolex only store, they know what to expect in a calendar year, and their policy is not to make “lists” for any model they can’t realistically expect to deliver within two years.
We do hear of occasional outliers where someone suddenly gets a call on something they’ve almost forgotten about but in general I believe if an AD says five years to get something they are blowing you off. The real answer is you’re not getting one.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM   #11
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

The watch market is collapsing. At least for Rolex.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM   #12
EverCloserUnion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Just my anecdotal evidence from dealing with the same AD since 2017.
They are a high volume Rolex only store, they know what to expect in a calendar year, and their policy is not to make “lists” for any model they can’t realistically expect to deliver within two years.
We do hear of occasional outliers where someone suddenly gets a call on something they’ve almost forgotten about but in general I believe if an AD says five years to get something they are blowing you off. The real answer is you’re not getting one.
That's really interesting to me. Thinking about it, I'm not sure I've met anyone who's waited more than two years. I was quoted 24 months when I first enquired about an OP. One colleague of mine waited two years (and then received) a two-tone DJ, while a second got a DD after 18 months.
Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM   #13
EverCloserUnion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
The watch market is collapsing. At least for Rolex.
I wonder if the sheer amount of pent up demand will soften the landing, or potentially cause a small bounce.
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM   #14
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I think the problem (if it is a problem) is that demand has evaporated. No-one's interested. Same for sports cars.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM   #15
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
I think the problem (if it is a problem) is that demand has evaporated. No-one's interested. Same for sports cars.
This

Have never seen "new" Ferraris available at msrp (296) or cpo below msrp (SF90) in 25 years of collecting exotics.
4reRlxGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM   #16
EverCloserUnion
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
This

Have never seen "new" Ferraris available at msrp (296) or cpo below msrp (SF90) in 25 years of collecting exotics.
Do you have thoughts on why that might be?
Economic challenges or changing tastes, perhaps?
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Not my idea of fun, buy hey, to each is own.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM   #18
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Not my idea of fun, buy hey, to each is own.
Have to agree
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote