The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM   #1
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Anyone regret buying an independent maker watch for resale or servicing issues?

Has anyone here bought a watch from even a more prominent independent (Moser, MB&F, Parmigiani Fleurier, Kurono Tokyo) and ended up with buyer's remorse?

For example, did you buy such a watch, even at a discount from the secondary market, and want to sell it later for whatever reason and be frustrated by the inability to resell due to the lack of a liquid market for them? I don't mean flipping because I don't think that exists and mean life happens or your tastes change.

Or did you have regrets due to difficulties servicing, whether generally or given where you live? I've heard nightmare stories (or at least inconsistent stories) about independents' customer service and servicing.

I've never found threads talking about these issues and want to be aware of the broader picture if you venture to independents.
FrançoisCzapek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM   #2
shafran
"TRF" Member

Independents can be difficult to resell

As the market for them is very small compared to big brands.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #3
FrançoisCzapek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classic Pateks
Obviously but I was wondering if people had concrete anecdotes to share. I'm fine being one of 3 fans of a maker I really like, but I might not know if I truly like it until I wear it for weeks.
FrançoisCzapek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM   #4
llngoc
"TRF" Member

A friend just got offered over MSRP for the MB&F LMP EVO which he bought two years ago. Kurono should not be hard to service as most of them are based on Miyota automatic movements. I have a MB&F sent into service and came back within 8 weeks.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #5
shafran
"TRF" Member

Servicing is not generally an issue.

I have had Moser, Journe, Debethune, Parmigiani. None had issues with getting serviced. One parmigiani was actually serviced by my local watchmaker. Journe and DB must go back to the factory, I believe moser too. The only watch that resold easily were the Journes.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM   #6
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

I recently had my Octa Automatique serviced, with no problem whatsoever. Turnaround was about 10 weeks.

I really don't regret buying it because I paid only £18k for it (s/h) in 2016....Not that I'm selling.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Obscure brands or brands with limited production are always a challenge. My AD is a PP Dealer and I am constantly amazed at service costs and times that are shared with me from owners and staff. And PP is not obscure. Many collectors, especially those newer in the hobby very seldom take this into account and many get their feeling hurt when it is time to service these watches. As far as resale goes it is all over the place. Some ok, most not. Try shopping an obscure brand with a Trusted Seller, most are a straight pass or will add in service costs and holding times for the service when making an offer. Not for me and I tend to stick with the larger brands where I know, within reason, the service costs and sale prices.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

These are mechanical items, they can easily be serviced. For those who love silicon hairsprings on small-batch brands, you might be in for a bit of a wake-up call. Other than that, pretty much any part can be made so no worries.

Might I suggest you join the NAWCC and see how they create new parts for verrrrry vintage timepieces. Sometimes having to nearly reconstruct most of the timepiece(!).

If you choose to buy a PP, you knew the deal and story, I sold all mine long ago but one vintage PP when dad Stern was active. PP's waiting time could very well be an illusion or incompetence (or a psychological agenda). Which do you feel it is?

As for MB&F, after a bit of time they are giving away the parts design so other watchmakers can create parts as needed.

So, imho, other than Silicon hairsprings, pretty much anything else can be reproduced. The NAWCC magazines showcases amazing repairs / parts recreation. You should join the NAWACC if you truly appreciate the art and craft or watchmaking.

https://www.nawcc.org/join/

ONE PROBLEM, ONCE in over three decades....

Only time I had a problem was with a watch store in West Palm Beach that sells $$$$$$ timepieces. They said they could do a very easy repair on L'Epee 1839 Sherman (arm replacement), very easy fix.... but he was seriously pushing hard on me liking Ulysis Nardin (before mgt bought them a year or two ago and now UN is failing and desperately needing outside funding). The store in West Palm Beach never did fix Sherman after over two months, IMHO they were very untruthful about the progress of the VERY easy fix that should have taken about 20 minutes, and IMHO only further proved to me why Ulysse Nardin needs to fire all management, or better still sell UN to Richemont where UN belongs.

Side Bar: After over two months waiting for Sherman, I felt like the West Palm Beach dealer may be 'scamming' me considering his female assistant sounded...... And so I contacted L'Epee 1839 and Max Busser via email letting them calmly know the facts. Once they knew the overly long delay in this very easy 20-minute repair situation, L'Epee literally had a brand new Sherman delivered express to my door. Furthermore, Arnaud was on family holiday at the time, i said i can wait another few weeks and to go enjoy HIS family holiday and not worry about me and Sherman as it has already been months. Arnaud Nicolas personally saw to it all as did Max Busser, who is also a truly incredible gentleman.

So if you want to support great companies who truly do care about their enthusiasts and supporters, i can HIGHLY recommend MB&F.

.... anywho ....

So overall no problems at all. Part can be created by hand, just as they are are now. Though yes, there are very deceptive companies who will delay repairs or overcharge, or downright possibly deceive you. This is where great places like TRF come in handy as we share who does great work... restoring bracelets, for example. You might even get a recommendation to buy an MB&F timepiece, or H. Moser, and of course we all know Rolex is a sure thing. :thumbs-up:

PS: Avoid Ulysse Nardin IMHO, even at 50% off retail.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #9
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Other than Rolex, servicing from larger / group brands isn't great to begin with. There's endless threads on bad service experiences from many brands and I've had my share - never buy Richemont. I've had great service experiences with smaller watchmakers, the turnaround time is maybe a little longer but everything gets done right the first time.

Something to note, the larger brands usually separate servicing and watchmaking. The servicing team usually more junior and part of working your way up to watch making or just a different facility or company altogether. NBD if you have a time only eta based watch but lets say you have a complication from JLC or Vacheron - they will send your perpetual to the Richemont service center in Dallas and the same guys that knock out Panerai servicing are going to hack away at your pc. For some of the smaller brands like say De Bethune, your watch is going to go back to De Bethune and the watchmaker that originally made your watch is going to troubleshoot and service it. While the larger brands might be able to offer faster and cheaper servicing you might get simply better servicing from the indy brands.
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:03 AM   #10
kunlun
"TRF" Member

I have one, which has to do with straps imported into the USA.

For Alligator leather, the CITES convention for endangered species product import comes into effect.

So, this can delay shipping of a watch with such a strap.

An easy way around is to ship with a calf strap and buy an Alligator strap domestically, if one desires.

Big brands have the infrastructure domestically to make this a non-issue.

One other thing I have heard is that for very small indies, e.g. "Jean-Ian-Mahmoud's new hyped Chronometre Swankique Royal" they usually don't have time and money to sit around beta testing the watches. So, if you get number 1 of 50, you might need to send that back in after not too long as you are the beta tester.

I have a few concrete examples of this, but I don't want to poop on people. One indie sent out a number of semi-functional watches to the first collectors. Another indie watchmaker commented to me, in private, "oh, I saw a collector with that guy's watch and it seems to be running. I guess he finally figured out how to make a working watch." Ouch.
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote