The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM   #31
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Given the info….you are lucky to be able to see them…i’d definitely go see them on your wrist.
Personally, between these two, I’d go blue. The baguettes wash out a bit on the meteorite dial, and the dial doesn’t contrast enough (for my taste) against the white metal. A bit too monotone overall for me.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #32
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverCloserUnion View Post
Meteorite dials…

With the usual ‘each to their own’ caveat, I struggle to understand the price premium Rolex places on these (nor the appeal beyond simple aesthetics.)

The attraction of something that came from outer space? The metal in your gold rolex (or gold wedding band, etc) made exactly the same journey.

Rarity of nickel-iron meteorites with the Widmanstatten pattern? Yes, but that doesn’t translate into high price tags (check Ebay – samples of these meteorites are affordable and plentiful).

So this leaves us with simple aesthetics… with a typical four-figure premium.

And while I’m offering opinions, that ice blue DD dial looks absolutely first class…
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Pass and focus on acquiring the other pieces you prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
The ice blue dial with baguettes is the answer. I tried one on and it blew me away. The other you are asking about has no real in-your-face qualities which I like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexnabzy View Post
I feel saying 'leaves us with simple aesthetics' maybe over simplifying the argument as there are many reasons why companies charge more for certain items that we may not fully understand or take into account.....

For example why does Rolex charge an arm and a leg for its platinum watches over their gold variants when the price of gold is greater than platinum by a decent margin.....pose this question on here and you will find a number of officiandos tell you it's due to the difficulties associated with working with platinum and that the other 'ingredients' required to blend with platinum are more expensive and that it has better durability etc.....

A quick google search tells me that Namibia now protects the Gibeon meteorite parts which I believe Rolex uses and now can't be removed from the country, so Rolex may have do with what they already have, also it is difficult to machine into a dial of Rolex quality, every dial unique etc... etc...Now I'm not sure to the degree of accuracy of everything I read on the net, but as they say where there's smoke there's fire.....by the way I'm not saying that Rolex is not using its vast marketing arm to inflate prices even further, just look at the prices for old reference meteorite daytonas...but I think there's more to it then just 'asthetics'....
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverCloserUnion View Post
Those are excellent points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Too expensive for what it is, for me. I have owned several Platinum DD's over the years and the ice blue dial is what makes it special.
I am swinging more heavily towards the ice blue because that *is* the exclusive color of the platinum DD and it does pop.

Meteorite while rare does feel washed out in this config and there are other meteorite variants to lust after (GMT, Daytona).
StylinProfilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #33
StylinProfilin
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlovett1 View Post
Given the info….you are lucky to be able to see them…i’d definitely go see them on your wrist.
Personally, between these two, I’d go blue. The baguettes wash out a bit on the meteorite dial, and the dial doesn’t contrast enough (for my taste) against the white metal. A bit too monotone overall for me.
Richard you always provide excellent advice!
StylinProfilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:38 AM   #34
Farran
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Legacy
Honestly it depends on what you really like, I would pass and focus on what I'm waiting for and what want and not on what I'm offered, platinum DD meteorite is a stunner for sure but you can still pull the trigger hence you like.
Farran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:47 AM   #35
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
love day dates but honestly not sure i can get over that price tag and the added premium of platinum and meteorite dials after all the msrp increases. this would have to be a grail for me to begin with otherwise not sure i could justify paying 2x the price of a gold one
Well put
♛ 116689 ♛ 218206 Roman ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Bronzo 671 & 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #36
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinProfilin View Post
Funny enough my AD is giving me the choice of the ice blue diamond markers or the meteroite.

I think i need to visit and try it on!
Platinum DD has to have the ice blue dial. Fluted with baguettes is beautiful.

IMO, the Platinum meteorite DD is too pricey compared to the WG variant.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:07 AM   #37
DoctorsOrders
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Get what you want, don't get what you don't want. Purchasing items just because you are offered them doesn't help you, doesn't help your relationship with your AD, and doesn't help the collector who actually wants the piece.
DoctorsOrders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:18 PM   #38
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinProfilin View Post
Funny enough my AD is giving me the choice of the ice blue diamond markers or the meteroite.

I think i need to visit and try it on!
You absolutely need to try it on for that kind of scratch!

Plat seems to be an exclusive club that people love or hate, I (in the minority) just could not get over the heft of my Platona that I had last year... it's an anchor! Talk about a first world problem lol

BTW both dials are money, Rolex does meteorite dials extremely well, but the ice blue is exclusive to the platinum club... on DD40 I'd probably go meteorite myself
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:18 PM   #39
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorsOrders View Post
Get what you want, don't get what you don't want. Purchasing items just because you are offered them doesn't help you, doesn't help your relationship with your AD, and doesn't help the collector who actually wants the piece.
well said
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:56 PM   #40
dmitrii_
"TRF" Member

Another vote for ice blue baguette dial on the 228236.

I’ve been wearing mine all week.

My best friend in NY is after that platinum meteorite fluted bezel, so if you do pass I know someone that would love to get it from an AD.

ig: therolexgram
dmitrii_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:56 PM   #41
EWY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex18206
It really depends on the reason why you want to own this DD. I have a DD in pt with smooth bezel. I did order it with diamonds markers. The reason I want a DD in white metal is I already have a DD in 18k full of diamonds. That watch stays in a locked safe. My DD in pt gets a fair amount of waist time as it does not shout Rolex. The Meteorite is really nice and definitely would draw a lot of attention. If you do not mind the attentions, go for it.

DD W1.jpg
EWY is offline   Reply With Quote