The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old Today, 05:19 AM   #1
NigeG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
To polish or not to polish?

Recently my 16610 stopped working. Today I had the opportunity to drop it into Rolex UK HQ Service Centre in Kent.

A somewhat odd experience with completely contactless communication with one of the technicians. Where you place the watch in a tray which is slid under a glazed panel similar to buying tickets to a train. She then takes it away for initial assessment whilst I have a coffee in the waiting area.

When she returns I’m informed that the full service will be £700 and that a new genuine crystal £150 (I suspected what was fitted was not genuine Rolex).

I said I was unsure about having it polished or not. She explained that in her opinion it was in good condition and there would be minimal material removed in the refinishing process and once they send me the formal quote I can make the decision.

At some stage it has had a service bracelet fitted and I guess it was refinished at the same time. It’s certainly in better condition than several I’ve seen of similar age.

There is a really small ding on the top edge of the case around the 2.00 o’clock area. Less than the size of a pin head. This worries me a little if I have the case refinished. The bracelet has a small amount of marks on it.

My initial thoughts are to leave the watch head alone and just have the bracelet done. But is that going to look a little odd?

Happy to hear opinions. Unfortunately I don’t seem to have any pics showing the small ding.

Thanks

Couple of pics from a couple of months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NigeG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:25 AM   #2
train-time
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Nice watch! If it were mine and was getting full service with a new crystal, I would go for the full spa treatment. It will look new!
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:37 AM   #3
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

I send my watches in for service every 7 to 10 years and like them returning looking as close to new as possible.
I don't subscribe to the never polish idea. My own 16610 from 1992 has been serviced 3 times. Each time it was serviced and polished. If there is a difference in any of the contours or surfaces, it's certainly not obvious unless perhaps if it is measured with a micrometer. FWIW, they don't remove excessive material and polish out every imperfection. Mine has a few deeper nicks that are still visible after RSC services.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:43 AM   #4
Mate1974
Banned

Sounds like you had quite an interesting experience at the service center. It’s always a bit of a dilemma when it comes to refinishing, especially with a piece like the 16610. Given that it’s in good condition, it might make sense to leave the watch head untouched, especially since the ding is so minor and might not be noticeable after the service. Keeping the case as original as possible can help maintain its character and appeal over time.

As for the bracelet, a refinish could freshen it up without taking away from the overall look. It wouldn’t necessarily look odd since the bracelet sees the most wear and tear, so cleaning it up can actually enhance the watch without disrupting the balance.

Ultimately, it’s about what will make you happiest with the watch. If the small imperfections on the case don’t bother you, it could be worth leaving them as part of the watch’s story. Either way, it’s great you’re having it serviced, and the 16610 will be back to running perfectly soon!
Mate1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:59 AM   #5
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I like it when a watch comes back looking new after a service.
Old Today, 06:02 AM   #6
cdmorenot

Watch: = Want them all.
Your watch looks great! I wouldn't polish it based on condition.
Old Today, 06:08 AM   #7
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
I would do the polishing as part of the service for sure as am not polish adverse like others here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:12 AM   #8
INC

Watch: 17000B, B+W
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
When she returns I’m informed that the full service will be £700 and that a new genuine crystal £150 (I suspected what was fitted was not genuine Rolex).
I think replacing the crystal is a good idea.

About the polishing: This watch looks perfectly fine in my opinion, so in my humble opinion it absolutely DOES NOT NEED to be polished. What's more, you wouldn't have even thought of it if it hasn't have a failure. I conclude from this that you like this watch and want to own it for a long time. In this case, it might be worthwhile to renew it, because this way the second-hand price is completely uninteresting, as you don't want to sell it at all.

That is why I think that if you decide to opt for polishing, then every part must be polished to get the perfect result. I think it would definitely look silly if only the case or the bracelet looked like new. If I would see a watch this way, it would follow from this that the watch is not original, because it would look like one part has already been replaced.
INC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:14 AM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Just getting broken in
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #10
majidessa
"TRF" Member

You only live once and there is no need to wear a scratched watch, it is like wearing torn clothes because they still fit.

I would polish my watches every 10 years when they are being serviced. The only exception would be for rare watches that worth tens of thousands and yours aren't.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:31 AM   #11
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I have no big opinion on polishing per se, but your watch looks fine. There is nothing to be gained by polishing it in this instance.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:41 AM   #12
physicist
"TRF" Member

I am in the “Don’t polish” camp. If I sell a watch, then who ever buys it will get an unpolished example…. Or my kids will get an unpolished example. Either way, they can do what they want with it.
physicist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #13
Sublovin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Lots
For me, the term overpolishing implies a poorly done job, or polishing when it doesn’t need it. I recently had my Deepsea serviced by Rolex and did not polish because it truly didn’t need it. Wasn’t due to fear of polishing. This notion of not polishing a watch for fear of losing some value, is misapplied in 99% of cases. If your watch isn’t particularly valuable or collectible, denying yourself the benefit of keeping your watch looking nice is foolish
All my opinion.
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #14
physicist
"TRF" Member

I guess I should also point out that I could care less if my watches are scratched up or not.
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #15
physicist
"TRF" Member

Even a perfect polish job, done too many times, rounds the watch off.
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #16
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: What is "watch"?
Your watch looks to have been polished at some point in it's life already. I'd go with a polish.
Old Today, 07:53 AM   #17
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
I’d leave it be. It’ll just get scratched up again
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:25 AM   #18
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

The question is whether Rolex will retain the chamfers or polish them to resemble a 6 digit Sub. I read here that they don't go through the trouble of keeping the chamfers.
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:29 AM   #19
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm not opposed to having a watch properly refinished from time-to-time.

This one is being sent in because it is broken, not thrashed, and its cosmetics are still just fine for a watch that is worn frequently.

It's a personal choice, but here I could go either way. Flip a coin.