The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 18 September 2009, 08:45 PM   #1
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
Breitling Emergency

Hi all,

What do you think about the Breitling Emergency, I am thinking of buying one, Black dial and rubber stap as this is to me the best looking combination, also it is the same combo as Bear Grylls is wearing in his shows!

What are your thoughts about this timepiece ? The emergency function etv...

I really like breitling but not the bling bling type of watches, this is titanium so it is understated....

Anyone here that owns one or has owned one?

Regarding the price, I am offerd this watch by a friend for only about 3500 USD, so the price is a bargain almost!

Feedback please!
Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 09:55 PM   #2
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

I have the B1 (A78), accuracy is top notch.

I think the features (chrono, dual time, backlighting, alarm?) are pretty similar to Emergency except the emergency signal function.

A pretty cool tool watch to have!

Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2009, 10:38 PM   #3
WatchSnob

The Emergency is outdated, the frequency is no longer actively monitored so unless the S&R team knows you have that watch and still has the equipment to pick up the signal the watch is worthless for that. Breitling is working on bringing out one under the new frequency but there are some issues and the old ones will not be able to just be switched over to the new frequency or upgraded.
Also, $3500 USD is not a steal on the watch at all especially on the rubber strap... They sit on Ebay all day and night not selling at that price.
WatchSnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 12:24 AM   #4
Rebel1

Watch: SS Daytona - White
I agree with above poster - 121.5 MHz is an old SAR frequency so the watch really is outdated - Breitling needs to address this. The other issue is that when the batteries die - you're in for a nasty invoice to have them replaced - over & over again.

I love the watch but wouldn't buy one for the above reasons.
Rebel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 02:40 AM   #5
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
The std watch w/o the emergency signal is a nice watch. I own one and they wear well and are super accurate. Reality is very few of us need a watch with an emergency beacon, even if it was on the right freq.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 03:43 AM   #6
WatchSnob

If you hunt, fly, camp, kayak, canoe or do anything where you go in the wilderness having a working emergency watch would be amazing! My friend had this watch when he was on a Elk hunt, one of the guys broke their leg BAD and they were able to find them much quicker with the signal (back when it was actively monitored.) and get them airlifted out.
WatchSnob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2009, 12:53 PM   #7
mcquiggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, Speedmaster
To be more precise, SAR will still monitor 121.5 MHz, as will air traffic control units, aircraft overhead et cetera, it is just that the *satellite*-based monitoring of 121.5 MHz has been discontinued. Satellite-based monitoring has been switched to the new frequency of 406 MHz.

The higher frequency (UHF versus VHF) means that the signals from the ELT (emergency locater transmitter) are more directional. This will allow rescue teams to more quickly locate the transmitter in the forest, bush, mountains, et cetera, translating to increased accident survivability.

Aircraft owners have grumbled at having to replace their older ELT units as the new units are about $1-2K, but as far as I am concerned that's part of the cost of aircraft ownership. Nothing in aviation seems to be cheap!

I don't have a Breitling, but when I was considering one I thought that he "Emergency" was a pretty cool watch!
mcquiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2009, 10:30 PM   #8
gilford

I'm not to keen on the Emergency, I dont like the big bulge.

My favourite is the Chronomat Evo, simply stunning!
gilford is offline   Reply With Quote