The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 October 2009, 12:44 PM   #1
gpaulson
"TRF" Member

X-Posted from main forum: Vintage/Used shopping in Los Angeles

I am thinking about a vintage/used Rolex to add to my other watches (1st Rolex, too). I'm in the greater Los Angeles area, and saw a site for a store Wanna-Buy-A-Watch (appear to specialize in vintage Rolex), and their pieces looked cool, but I don't know anything about their reputation. Has anyone dealt with them? Does anyone know about their pieces/prices/staff knowledge, etc? I don't want to bother making the trip in if they aren't good/legit. Thanks.
gpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 01:45 PM   #2
goldenfirepig
"TRF" Member

Good reputation from what I have been told. Just know going in that they sell nice watches are very knowledgeable and you will pay a premium for this. Look at the client list on the site to get an idea about the buyers they cater to.
goldenfirepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2009, 11:17 PM   #3
mkolesa
"TRF" Member

~

i used to live in l.a. and can tell you they're a reputable shop. but keep in mind you still have to be an informed consumer and ask the right kinds of questions about a vintage watch. i also have to add that their prices are commensurate with the location on melrose, so you won't find any bargains and if you go to sell you won't get what you paid. that doesn't mean they don't have nice pieces though and if you find something you like and the cash isn't an issue, why not?
mkolesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 03:50 AM   #4
gpaulson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolesa View Post
i used to live in l.a. and can tell you they're a reputable shop. but keep in mind you still have to be an informed consumer and ask the right kinds of questions about a vintage watch. i also have to add that their prices are commensurate with the location on melrose, so you won't find any bargains and if you go to sell you won't get what you paid. that doesn't mean they don't have nice pieces though and if you find something you like and the cash isn't an issue, why not?
So, while I won't walk away with any deals, I can be assured that any product I buy there is legit and the real deal?
gpaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2009, 05:29 AM   #5
adam78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaulson View Post
So, while I won't walk away with any deals, I can be assured that any product I buy there is legit and the real deal?
I've had three good buying experiences with them (online and on the phone), but these were brands other than Rolex. From what I've seen from their online offerings, you do have to be an informed buyer, especially when it comes to what is "original" and appropriate to the watch vs. "original Rolex", but they do stand behind authenticity, as such.