The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 December 2006, 10:33 AM   #1
betrezra
"TRF" Member

1680 RED (yes finally a real one)

My local watch shop has a 1971 3MILL Ser 1680 with a genuine red dial. (Yes I used a loop and it's legit).

He's offering it to me for $5500. I'm thinking hard about it.

One question though for the die-hard guru's in the house..... next to my 1680 (1969 version)..... the date magnifying lense on his watch is not as LARGE as my watch. It's noticably smaller.

Did some years of the acrylic crystal come with varying magnification?..... I'm sure mine is correct.... and his is too low power.

Just curious :)

betrezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 10:46 AM   #2
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Could it be that the acrylic is aftermarket?

found a pic:
http://www.monster-time.com/Watch%20...s/rol5208b.jpg
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 11:48 AM   #3
mike
"TRF" Member

Well,...hard to give much of an answer without a photo,but I'll try and throw some stuff on the wall and maybe something will stick.

I've not noticed a difference in magnification of the 1680 crystal, either orginal or service replacement. Indeed, to me, the date always seems a bit bigger than other cyclops pieces because of the unique 1680 crystal.

Orginal 1680 crystals had a bit of a bevel whereas the replacement is a straightwall. I've read that the newest crystals now may have an ever so slight bevel, but none of mine do.

Replacement on left, orginal on right

As the watch is a 3mil, you're circa 71 to maybe 72ish. If so, the watch should hack, and have SUBMARINER smaller than the depth rating,

If orginal, the bracelet should be a 9315 folded link witheither 280 OR 380 end links. If a replacement, 93150 with 580s.

Look at the winding crown, no dots or external o ring--orginal, assuming geniune parts. Dots, o ring--service replacement.
Date wheel should be silver if orginal, white if it's been replaced. (no big deal)

As to price,--Dial and hands are everything. Browning or darkening around the chapter ring may indicate moisture incursion at some point. Look CLOSELY for flaking of the tritium on the dial and any indication of corrosion on the hands.
There should be no lume (or ever so slightly) if so relume?
Check the lugs for overpolishing, and make sure the bezelrotates smoothly in both directions.
I would enquire as to the service history of the watch if any. Consider a service into the overall price of the watch if none is present. Even if serviced to your satisfaction insure thewatch is pressure tested. Humidity that can enter is the biggest killer of dials, hands, and movements.

If all checks, that's a pretty good price, and welcome to the Red Paint club!!

One quick side by side,
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 11:57 AM   #4
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
My local watch shop has a 1971 3MILL Ser 1680 with a genuine red dial. (Yes I used a loop and it's legit).

He's offering it to me for $5500. I'm thinking hard about it.

One question though for the die-hard guru's in the house..... next to my 1680 (1969 version)..... the date magnifying lense on his watch is not as LARGE as my watch. It's noticably smaller.

Did some years of the acrylic crystal come with varying magnification?..... I'm sure mine is correct.... and his is too low power.

Just curious :)

If legit I would not hesitate at that price. Mike's fine explaination and pics are excellent and perfect. I would not sell mine for that price. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 03:48 PM   #5
watchfan1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex PP AP VC FPJ

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like my crystal is authentic and not a 'service' one.. I did not know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Well,...hard to give much of an answer without a photo,but I'll try and throw some stuff on the wall and maybe something will stick.
watchfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 04:19 PM   #6
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
If it is authentic GO FOR IT.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 04:20 PM   #7
alpet

Watch: me carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post

I've not noticed a difference in magnification of the 1680 crystal, either original or service replacement. Indeed, to me, the date always seems a bit bigger than other cyclops pieces because of the unique 1680 crystal.

Original 1680 crystals had a bit of a bevel whereas the replacement is a straightwall. I've read that the newest crystals now may have an ever so slight bevel, but none of mine do.

Replacement on left, orginal on right

As the watch is a 3mil, you're circa 71 to maybe 72ish. If so, the watch should hack, and have SUBMARINER smaller than the depth rating,

If orginal, the bracelet should be a 9315 folded link witheither 280 OR 380 end links. If a replacement, 93150 with 580s.

Look at the winding crown, no dots or external o ring--orginal, assuming genuine parts. Dots, o ring--service replacement.
Date wheel should be silver if orginal, white if it's been replaced. (no big deal)

As to price,--Dial and hands are everything. Browning or darkening around the chapter ring may indicate moisture incursion at some point. Look CLOSELY for flaking of the tritium on the dial and any indication of corrosion on the hands.
There should be no lume (or ever so slightly) if so relume?
Check the lugs for overpolishing, and make sure the bezelrotates smoothly in both directions.
I would enquire as to the service history of the watch if any. Consider a service into the overall price of the watch if none is present. Even if serviced to your satisfaction insure thewatch is pressure tested. Humidity that can enter is the biggest killer of dials, hands, and movements.

If all checks, that's a pretty good price, and welcome to the Red Paint club!!

One quick side by side,

Mike,
I noticed that in the zoomed pic of the red fonts, it looks as if the red lettering overlaps white lettering in some places.
Is that the way Rolex did it? I did thought they printed the letters directly in red..but then again I am far from an expert
alpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 05:27 PM   #8
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Why did they do away with the red paint? And when they came out with the new version did everyone rush to it, devaluing the red paint version?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 08:27 PM   #9
betrezra
"TRF" Member

More info

As always great info Mike!

I also noticed it has closed 6's. If I remember correctly this is right for a 72/73 circa.....

I'm also thinking the lower X cyclopse mag is probably due to polishing scratches out of the acrylic crystal over the years. It had a replacement straight (non-bevelled) crystal.

The 1675 movement made that wonderful LOUD sound which I'm drawn to for some reason. Like a miniature grandfather clock on my wrist ;) Tick Tick Tick TICK....

I'll continue to do some more DD before I take the plunge..... (I've been burned before.... so I'm being very careful)>
Old 7 December 2006, 08:59 PM   #10
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpet View Post
Mike,
I noticed that in the zoomed pic of the red fonts, it looks as if the red lettering overlaps white lettering in some places.
Is that the way Rolex did it? I did thought they printed the letters directly in red..but then again I am far from an expert
Rolex has used dials where the red has been overlayed on a white base, and dials upon which the red was applied directly to the dial.
Mine seems to be directly to thr dial, but both are geniune.
I really don't know why unless it's simply a matter of different dial sources. A common method of faking a red is to overlay a white. Here the font size is a clear giveaway.
Old 7 December 2006, 09:02 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betrezra View Post
As always great info Mike!

I also noticed it has closed 6's. If I remember correctly this is right for a 72/73 circa.....

I'm also thinking the lower X cyclopse mag is probably due to polishing scratches out of the acrylic crystal over the years. It had a replacement straight (non-bevelled) crystal.

The 1675 movement made that wonderful LOUD sound which I'm drawn to for some reason. Like a miniature grandfather clock on my wrist ;) Tick Tick Tick TICK....

I'll continue to do some more DD before I take the plunge..... (I've been burned before.... so I'm being very careful)>
Yes agree could well be, and Mike a great and detailed view.But above movement is cal 1575. And in many opinions and my own, the 15XX movements the finest Rolex has ever made to date.Rolex could by the serial tell you if a 100% genuine Red 1680.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2006, 09:14 PM   #12
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Why did they do away with the red paint? And when they came out with the new version did everyone rush to it, devaluing the red paint version?
Good question, I really don't know why the red was done away with. I suppose as the color was changed to white and the font size became bigger, Rolex simply wanted the name seen better.
Old 7 December 2006, 10:22 PM   #13
betrezra
"TRF" Member

%%

Thanks padi... meant to say 1575 ;)

Will do about checking with Rolex on the ser # `1st ;)

Thanks for the help trf.