The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 31 October 2007, 03:30 PM   #1
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

Cartier Ballon Bleu

I think I'm going to try and do one of these at least once a month.

I have recently received a few versions of this, the newest addition from Cartier.

The watch: Cartier Ballon Bleu

Sizes: As a typical Cartier watch, it is available in small, medium, and large models.

Metal Options: The watches are available in 18kt white, pink, and yellow gold, as well as in two-tone version with SS and 18kt yellow, no SS model available.

Description and opinion: This watch is rather futuristic, yet classic. It features the classic Roman numeral markers on the dial, the silver opline dial, the blued steel sword shaped hands. It is almost your classic Cartier anyone can recognise. Very noticably, the watch has a 'pushed into the case' crown. I think it looks amazing on the small and medium models (the dateless models) as the Roman numeral III is distorted on the dial.

On the large model, with a date complication, it does not give as much effect, to me personally at least

The blue stone on the crown is a sapphire, unlike the common spinel that is used on Cartier watches.

Yes, in that picture you do see an optional diamond bezel for gold models. On the medium and larger models, it looks something like this:

on the small model, there is only 1 row of diamonds that are slightly larger in size.

Now, to the movements....this is rather interesting...the small AND medium models in SS/18kt models are quartz, with the large model being automatic. However, the medium models in the all-gold models ARE automatic having the Cartier Calibre 076 movement. The steel and gold models are honestly cheaply made, I guess to make it more available for those with a lower spending budget. The removable links on the bracelet are all SS, no gold on them, so, basically, half of your bracelet has gold on it. The SS/18kt gold models start out at $7300 retail, the large model, I believe is around $9000 ( I will edit this later with exact price). The small model in yellow gold is about $15,400, you can kind of go from there with pricing on other models. The only plain model available in white gold is the large, others are with diamonds.

Overall, it is a nice watch, it feels very comfortable on your wrist but because of the domed crystal it's hard to see the time from an angle. I am still not sure if I want to call it a girly watch or just an old man's watch....

I give A+ for design to Cartier, a C for options (it is not available in SS, the cheapest model is a lady's watch with quartz movement, a bit overpriced for what it is, I think) and a B- for functionality (it is a bit tricky setting the watch with the crown set the way it is, you really gotta have some nails on you to pull it out)

Oh yea, and for those of you with REAL money to spend:

This watch retails at $950,000! No, I did not make a mistake typing, it is nine hundred and fifty thousand U.S. dollars. I really really really doubt I will ever see this bad boy in the case, but I guess its good to know that its out there

Anymore questions? Just ask...

few more pics of various model options
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 08:16 AM   #2
webbug

Watch: Daytona
I love this watch, my future purchase will be either this but in SS (its available now) or GMT II

webbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2009, 11:21 AM   #3
wtcope

Watch: Rolex, Cartier
I tried on the large SS model at the Sydney AD recently, and I must say, the bracelet's fit and finish left a lot to be desired IMO. It seemed "junky" compared to other Cariter steel bracelets and deployant buckles I have owned (Tank Francaise, Must Tank). Design-wise, the bracelet looked and felt a bit slim for the very large diameter face.
wtcope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2009, 05:07 AM   #4
natrab
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 312
As a recent purchaser of this watch and I'm absolutely in love with it. The bracelet's fit and finish seem fine to me, though it does appear a little flimsy (I take care not to put much stress on it).

The head of the watch simply speaks to me in its elegance. It has a classiness to it not seen in many watches lately. It really calls attention as well with this attribute. I've not been a fan of many cartiers, but after seeing this watch I knew I had to have it. It's not for everyone, though.

As for me, I'm a 25 year old paramedic, not the usual cartier demographic. I adore this watch, though.

Btw, mine is the new SS model and the total came in at < $5k with the 15% discount they gave me for asking. I'd really like to acquire a black strap for the watch as a change from the bracelet, however.
natrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2010, 07:13 PM   #5
DPKAL
"TRF" Member

Problems with automatic stopping too soon?

I own the auto SS large men's version of this watch with the part gold strap. I love it but always find that it stops after just 24 hours max if I take it off. Anybody else find this problem or is this normal? I would have expected it to run for longer.
DPKAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2010, 01:15 AM   #6
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPKAL View Post
I own the auto SS large men's version of this watch with the part gold strap. I love it but always find that it stops after just 24 hours max if I take it off. Anybody else find this problem or is this normal? I would have expected it to run for longer.
Absolutely something wrong there. Cartier has a WONDERFUL service division - contact them and they will take care of it.

I own a Ballon Bleu and I must say it is the second most admired watch in my collection - by which I mean that it gets more compliments than any other watch I own save the DD. Cartier wrote me to tell me that the design was meant to evoke a pocket watch, but I find it one of the most comfortable watches in my rotation. My only problem? No lume!
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2010, 03:51 PM   #7
tomee
"TRF" Member

this is the only Cartier watch i like.
something about the shape and blue crown that does it for me
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote