The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2010, 10:22 AM   #1
redsrover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTMaster II
Vintage Rolex Oyster Precision strap question

Hi all, having a tough time locating the perfect leather strap for my vintage Oyster Precision with 19mm (3/4") lugs. I recently ordered a Hadley Roma 19mm lizard strap in brown. When it arrived it's not what I want. The strap fits the 19mm lugs perfectly but then tapers down to like 14mm at the buckle. Way too narrow for my taste. So, any suggestions for a strap befitting this piece of Rolex vintage masterwork?
Old 7 February 2010, 05:19 PM   #2
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
Afraid I don't know of a dressy strap (padded calf, lizard, croc, shark, ostrich, or whatever) that doesn't taper like you describe. All the Rolex straps in 19-20 mm that I have seen/bought taper just like the Hadley Roma you noted. Likewise, the genuine Rollie buckles in gold, GP, and SS are all smaller than their corresponding watch lugs by a few mm - typical for both mens and ladies. You might have to resort to a sportier version and a non-Rolex buckle or a leather NATO-type. They look good, but are not as formal. Good Luck!
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 05:33 PM   #3
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
I just got a Rolex black Java lizard strap 20mm...tapers down to 16mm for my Rolex buckle. This is my 3rd. Rolex black Java lizard strap since '87 on a 1963 Datejust...the straps hold up well. I saw a post listing a long list of reptile & leather Rolex straps.

Dr. Robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 06:09 PM   #4
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrover View Post
Hi all, having a tough time locating the perfect leather strap for my vintage Oyster Precision with 19mm (3/4") lugs. I recently ordered a Hadley Roma 19mm lizard strap in brown. When it arrived it's not what I want. The strap fits the 19mm lugs perfectly but then tapers down to like 14mm at the buckle. Way too narrow for my taste. So, any suggestions for a strap befitting this piece of Rolex vintage masterwork?
Have you thought of getting one custom made? If so I've had a couple made by this company I was very pleased .

http://www.stonecreekstraps.com/page2.php
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 11:25 PM   #5
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
You might try Freda Watch Straps. They've got some 19's that taper to 16, which is pretty typical. Their European collection is inexpensive for alligator and croc. For a dress watch (don't want a really thick version) one of the glossy ones look great.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Watchnut1
"TRF" Member

Watch strap

You should definitely look into Fredawatchstraps.com. Kenny has the best selection of all the brand names, and his own collection, Freda's European collection. This is an outstanding selection of alligator and crocodile straps at very, very good pricing points. I ordered the crocodile for a vintage datejust, and am very pleased. Most of the straps on there are 2mm drop, so a 20mm strap will have an 18mm buckle. He also has a nice selection of deployant clasps, if you are considering that. Good luck.
Watchnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2010, 11:51 PM   #7
redsrover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTMaster II
Freda Watch, got it. I measured and the 19mm strap tapers to 14mm which is tiny in comparison to a conventional 20mm to 16mm taper.
Old 8 February 2010, 12:08 AM   #8
Watchnut1
"TRF" Member

Strap taper

I'm not sure what you're measuring from the website, if that's what you are saying. I do not know exactly what the taper is for a 19mm strap, but I really don't think it goes down to 14mm on the European collection. You might also check out the Di-Modell straps. I know for a fact they don't taper that much, definitely 2mm taper on most models. I think, in fact, the 20 and 19 have the same taper on several models. That is one of the nicest quality straps available, construction wise. I just liked the look of the crocodile strap from the european collection. The only downside to Di-Modell is they are mostly sized from a european standard, which is basically an 8" strap. Not all of them are, but the majority are. When you see 80mm x 125mm length, that is basically an 8" strap. If you have a bigger wrist, then you'll have no problem.
Old 8 February 2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Watchnut1
"TRF" Member

Di-Modell strap

I just checked the Di-Modell strap list. I see a lot of them offer 19mm x 18mm straps. Hope that helps.