The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2007, 11:57 AM   #1
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Rolex GMT Master II (again!)

TRF should just have a check box for this thread title!

Quick question......is the availability of the anniv watch fairly limited at AD's around the U.S.? Are Ad's allowed to charge more than suggested retail.

I love this watch but I'm tempted to wait til the heat in the hot market cools off a bit.

I stated in another thread that I have a 4-day stint in Vegas in about a month and I plan on looking for this watch when I go.

I appreciate your feedback - thanks in advance.

K4S

p.s. Thanks to the poster who gave the quick IT lesson "print screen" on how to capture images off of the Rolex site. I have some cool wallpapers now!
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2007, 12:16 PM   #2
quinson418
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sea-dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by kings4sap View Post
TRF should just have a check box for this thread title!

Quick question......is the availability of the anniv watch fairly limited at AD's around the U.S.? Are Ad's allowed to charge more than suggested retail.

I love this watch but I'm tempted to wait til the heat in the hot market cools off a bit.

I stated in another thread that I have a 4-day stint in Vegas in about a month and I plan on looking for this watch when I go.

I appreciate your feedback - thanks in advance.

K4S

p.s. Thanks to the poster who gave the quick IT lesson "print screen" on how to capture images off of the Rolex site. I have some cool wallpapers now!
Actually print screen doesn't provide the best solution to it.
I was able to just right click the image and save the image.
I was only able to do it with the latest version of Firefox.
Didn't work for my IE. Anyways, if you need a specific one, I can download it for you and send it to you.
PM me the info.
quinson418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2007, 11:29 PM   #3
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Some dealers do ask more than retail for popular models. A good example is Essential Watches, they have a green Submariner that is over retail price on their website. www.essentialwatches.com
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2007, 12:51 AM   #4
Orangeman

Watch: Datejust
Quote:

I missed this but would be very interested in knowing how to do it. Can you enlighten me or at least point me to the thread where it was discussed?

Thanks!
Orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2007, 06:21 AM   #5
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

The instructions I saw (and completed) were simply to hit the print screen button on your keyboard and then paste into any graphics program you might have. I used my Microsoft Office Picture Manager and sure enough, itt worked! I had to crop out the typical windows screen issues (it basically prints a windows shot as a graphic) but that was easy.

K4S
Old 8 February 2007, 06:23 AM   #6
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
Some dealers do ask more than retail for popular models. A good example is Essential Watches, they have a green Submariner that is over retail price on their website. www.essentialwatches.com
We have talked a lot about EW lately. They are not an AD. I was more interested in if any AD's charge more than retail (or are they allowed?).

K4S
Old 8 February 2007, 06:50 AM   #7
Orangeman

Watch: Datejust
Quote:
The instructions I saw (and completed) were simply to hit the print screen button on your keyboard and then paste into any graphics program you might have. I used my Microsoft Office Picture Manager and sure enough, itt worked! I had to crop out the typical windows screen issues (it basically prints a windows shot as a graphic) but that was easy.
Excellent, it worked!

Thanks so much!

Orangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2007, 07:55 AM   #8
Spencer
"TRF" Member

With out any questions and any reservations Las Vegas is the LAST place in this country where you can expect to get a discount what so ever on a Rolex. Whether it be SS, TT, YG, WG, etc you won't find a discount there so I would not intentionally wait till you go to Vegas to get the watch, unless of course you want to save on the tax and have the AD mail it back to your house, which in that case you would obviously be saving some cash.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2007, 07:56 AM   #9
Spencer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We have talked a lot about EW lately. They are not an AD. I was more interested in if any AD's charge more than retail (or are they allowed?).

K4S
Yes some do, and no they are not supposed to. Regardless you will most likely be able to find the GMT-II anniversary for retail at almost any AD.

Resident Audemars Piguet Fanatic
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2007, 09:18 AM   #10
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:

K4S
Some do, good ones don't. Nothing says they can't I guess.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2007, 09:30 AM   #11
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Are Ad's allowed to charge more than suggested retail.
I'm not sure about the policies in other countries, but in Canada the AD can charge whatever the traffic will bear.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 05:27 AM   #12
MD11F

Watch: AP RO Chrono
I am told the Authorized Dealers are not able to mark them up.. case in point, the Daytona's. That said, the Daytona I got was at retail because I waited 2+ years for it, my dealer knows that a lot of dealers will get these watches and back channel them thru grey market sources (most of these dealers are over seas), so they can get more than the $7K or so retail.

On the new GMT II, I paid retail for mine, and was told that it was more or less impossible to get one less than retail. I called a few sources, and this was confirmed. It's not likely from what I was told that the prices will soften on this model for some time, if ever. Rolex is probably the best company in the world at controlling retail prices.
MD11F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 12:23 PM   #13
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
the 116713 was sold with discounts here in singapore......:)

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2007, 12:43 PM   #14
HK33
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Personally I would never pay over retail for any luxury item. I actually can’t think of anything I would pay over retail for. As far as I am concerned they can keep it.

As far as Rolex watches are concerned I guarantee that if you call my local AD they will tell you that they do not discount Rolex watches. If you walk in the store however all you have to do is glance at the price tag and they will give you 10% off it is just how they do business.

My speculation is that Rolex frowns on discounts but they have no practical way to enforce compliance on their retailers short of including it in a contract along with enforcing it through some audit process. It is not worth it to Rolex because it has no impact on their bottom line.
HK33 is offline   Reply With Quote