The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 February 2007, 04:31 AM   #1
stevetilley

Watch: SS/Plat YM 40mm
Advice for used 40mm SS/Plat YM purchase?

This is my 1st post on this fourm. Great site!

I am looking into buying my 1st rolex, and have decided the the full size ss/Plat YM is what I want. I figure if I can save some $$ I'd be happy with a used watch in good condition.

I currently have a Tag Kirium Chronometer (Blue), and will probably keep that one as well, as I like that watch but would prefer a Rolex. (also, resale on the Tag wouldn't amount to much $$)

A couple of questons:
1) Is there any difference in more recent year YM's compared to older ones? Is there any serial # series that is advantageous?

2)What would be a reasonable price for a used SS/Plat full-size YM? Is it a reasonable goal to find one for around $5000 USD?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
stevetilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2007, 04:36 AM   #2
jwl-2
"TRF" Member

I am afraid that $5000 shall prove not to be enough if you want one in good condition. $6500 is a more realistic amount.
Good luck with the search.
Old 11 February 2007, 04:37 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetilley View Post
This is my 1st post on this fourm. Great site!

I am looking into buying my 1st rolex, and have decided the the full size ss/Plat YM is what I want. I figure if I can save some $$ I'd be happy with a used watch in good condition.

I currently have a Tag Kirium Chronometer (Blue), and will probably keep that one as well, as I like that watch but would prefer a Rolex. (also, resale on the Tag wouldn't amount to much $$)

A couple of questons:
1) Is there any difference in more recent year YM's compared to older ones? Is there any serial # series that is advantageous?

2)What would be a reasonable price for a used SS/Plat full-size YM? Is it a reasonable goal to find one for around $5000 USD?

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve
Welcome to TRF, Steve!!

The SS/Pt. YM (40 mm) is an excellent choice. Remember, the current and latest series starts with "Z"...so if you get the previous one i.e. "D" or even an "F" for around five grand and in very good condition, you should be fine. There's absolutely no difference between these 3 series.

The YM runs the same 3135 movement as the Sea-Dweller and Sub-date so no worries there.

It's a great looking sports-cum-dress watch and is fitted with an Oysterlock bracelet which has ALL solid links, yes...even the centre ones!!

Good luck and do keep us updated.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 02:12 AM   #4
stevetilley

Watch: SS/Plat YM 40mm
Thank you for your kind advise. Looking on eBay, I see that Z serials generally command a little more.

Is there any difference between a Z/D/F and an older serial i.e. Y/K/P ?

Also, I've seen some watches on eBay without the green sticker. Does this suggest they are not authentic? Should I stay away from these?

Thanks again!
stevetilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 02:26 AM   #5
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
New Yachtmaster from an AD at least $6500, and that is if you are really lucky.
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 02:26 AM   #6
vcm_dj

Watch: DateJust
Hey Steve,

The absence of the green sticker means nothing. Some folks leave them on while others remove them upon purchase, as it will wear off with time anyway, especially if you wear the watch on a regular basis. As for identifying the real mccoy, the best you can do is familiarize yourself with the authentic article - get to know the nuances of what makes a Rolex a Rolex... Here is a good link - http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/rolex_or_replica.html
And remember, as others have said, buy the seller, not the watch; that is, if the seller is a person of confidence, you will be fine; if it appears fishy or too good to be true, then it probably is... just my $.02...
-V
vcm_dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 04:53 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetilley View Post
Thank you for your kind advise. Looking on eBay, I see that Z serials generally command a little more.

Is there any difference between a Z/D/F and an older serial i.e. Y/K/P ?

Also, I've seen some watches on eBay without the green sticker. Does this suggest they are not authentic? Should I stay away from these?

Thanks again!
After P came the following: K, Y, F, D and now Z. No difference at all between these as far as the YM goes. This model has always been without lug-holes. In the other sports line-up like the Sub-date, GMT-IIs, Exp-IIs, lug holes disappeared from the very late Y-series.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 12 February 2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Fiwi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ladies SS/Plat YM
Good luck finding your YM! I love my ladies ss/plat YM! What dial are you considering?
Fiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 03:49 PM   #9
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
you've already gotten the best advice in regards to buying used... i guess i'll add this ;

paying with a credit card (gold / platinum) will insure your purchase to a degree. you can always dispute the charges if the seller take a powder on you. paypal limits their guarantee to only $2,000... so be careful using them (i.e. pay through paypal using a gold or platinum card only).

Happy Hunting!

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2007, 05:00 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiwi View Post
Good luck finding your YM! I love my ladies ss/plat YM! What dial are you considering?
With the SS/Pt. YM, there really is NO dial option....except Platinum, Platinum and still more Platinum!!

Old 13 February 2007, 11:44 AM   #11
Fiwi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ladies SS/Plat YM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
With the SS/Pt. YM, there really is NO dial option....except Platinum, Platinum and still more Platinum!!
I was thinking of the TT models!
Fiwi is offline   Reply With Quote