The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2007, 04:48 AM   #1
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
jubilee bracelet change?

I have a friend who inherited his fathers TT DJ with a jubilee bracelet. The watch was either a retirement gift or an award from his company. What I liked about it is that the links are oval or rounded as the oyster bracelet is. The bracelet obviously has some stretch in it but it has such a supple feel to it. Anyone know when they went to the flat backed links?
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 04:51 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchnut View Post
I have a friend who inherited his fathers TT DJ with a jubilee bracelet. The watch was either a retirement gift or an award from his company. What I liked about it is that the links are oval or rounded as the oyster bracelet is. The bracelet obviously has some stretch in it but it has such a supple feel to it. Anyone know when they went to the flat backed links?
I know what you mean....and I think the flat back links started around 1979~1980.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 07:25 AM   #3
sevoguy

Watch: TT DJ/Blue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I know what you mean....and I think the flat back links started around 1979~1980.

JJ
JJ, what is a "flat back link"? Nevermind, I just answerd my question.

Mike
sevoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 07:43 AM   #4
OysterDavid
Banned

For a time in the 60's, 70's and very early 80's, Rolex made two styles of Jubilee bracelets. Specifically for areas of the USA and Canada and I believe a couple of other places, the Jubilee bracelet came in a style with oval links and a loose feel to it...almost as if it were already worn out.

These bracelets were actually manufactured outside of Switzerland, including the USA. There are still a number of these bracelets in 14K, TT and SS attached and unattached to Rolex watches throughout the world, and they make their appearances for those who want one on various places in the secondary market. The USA bracelets are marked Rolex USA! The story goes that Rolex was required to manufacture these in the country they were destined for because of certain customs restrictions on watches and their associated bracelets. These rules have long since been retired.

These Jubilee bracelets differ from the more current, now familiar, "D" shaped link bracelet, with a stronger, firmer feel to it...and even more so on the very newest Jubilee bracelets with the hidden clasp.

JJ is probably correct as to the timing.

There's nothing wrong with a Rolex with these bracelets. Some owners actually prefer the fit to the more contemporary model. They're 'official' Rolex and one won't get repremanded if they submit their watch to an RSC with such a bracelet.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 07:49 AM   #5
bwalkerVintage
Banned

Good information! Thanks.

Slightly off topic, but what would a RSC do if they received a GMT with a sub bracelet for service? Would they not care since both watch and bracelet are original Rolex?

Thx
bwalkerVintage is offline   Reply With Quote