The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 February 2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Tomko
"TRF" Member

What is the best watch winder?

For your Rolex?

Thanks,

Current:
TT LN GMT-Master II 2007
Tudor Oyster-Prince Quartz 1999
Victorinox Swiss Army 1994
Lassale 1987

Retired:
Seiko Quartz 1981
Timex LCD 1979
Timex mini-sub style 1975
Timex 1971
Tomko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Any winder that can be programmed for 650 bi-directional turns per day. One of the best brands is Orbita. Quiet, rugged, programmable, good warranty:

http://www.orbita.com/pages/12000.htm
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 01:22 PM   #3
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
I agree!, I have two orbita watchwinders, and I love them!
Old 27 February 2007, 01:25 PM   #4
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
For your Rolex?

Thanks,
The kind that keeps it running.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 03:02 PM   #5
miner
"TRF" Member

$32 on ebay. Search for "CHERRY WOOD 2 + 3 AUTOMATIC WATCH WINDER CASE" There are a few sellers but watch out for shipping costs, there's a big variation.

Been working fine off the batteries since Christmas.

miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 03:10 PM   #6
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post

$32 on ebay. Search for "CHERRY WOOD 2 + 3 AUTOMATIC WATCH WINDER CASE" There are a few sellers but watch out for shipping costs, there's a big variation.

Been working fine off the batteries since Christmas.

I have this exact winder. Its a great deal but it does more than 650 turns per day. It has 3 cycles just remember to turn it off. Runs smoothly and its quiet.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 03:35 PM   #7
oldbreadstinks

oldbreadstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Dimitris

My wrist.
Dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 04:17 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbreadstinks View Post

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 08:06 PM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
I have this exact winder. Its a great deal but it does more than 650 turns per day. It has 3 cycles just remember to turn it off. Runs smoothly and its quiet.
It does not really matter around 650-850 turns is enough to keep it wound.You cannot over-wind, and on a average 10-12 hours on your wrist will be well over 650 turns a day.But winders are only necessary IMHO if you have watches with several complications.Now those with just a simple date,it take just a matter of seconds,to reset date, time and a few crown winds to start.Now if watch is not worn just a few winds about once a month is all thats needed,to keep movement in tip top shape

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 08:15 PM   #12
oldbreadstinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
i actually wanted to add a sheep to it but decided that it wouldn't be as funny unless you're posting it
oldbreadstinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 12:28 AM   #13
BanjoP

I have an Orbita.
BanjoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 03:24 AM   #14
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomko View Post
For your Rolex?

Thanks,
Here's What they can accomplish!

WINDING PATEK PHILIPPE'S SKY MOON TOURBILLON

Orbita Corporation has again proven its innovativeness, conquering what was considered to be an insurmountable watchwinder challenge by winding the world's most complicated watch.

Introduced in 2002, Patek Philippe's super complicated Sky Moon Tourbillon (PP#5002) was built on the foundation of the millennium year's incredible Star Caliber pocket watch. Demonstrating the commitment of Patek Philippe to advancing the technical art of watch making, and priced at around $750,000, the Sky Moon Tourbillon is truly unique with 12 complications and two watch faces.

The first American owner of the #5002 learned that no manual winder was available from Patek that would keep his hand-wound watch wound and the prospect of resetting 12 individual complications should the watch ever stop was somewhat overwhelming to him. He did discover, however, that many Patek watch owners, having the same need to keep their hand-wound Perpetual Calendar watches running, were already using Orbita's Sempre winder. However, as the #5002 has the winding crown positioned not at 3 o'clock but at 4 o'clock, Patek did not think the standard Sempre could do the job given this unusual crown location and, in fact, they were correct.

However, himself a successful entrepreneur, the owner, Mr. Gerald Pulver, decided to take matters into his own hands. He contacted Orbita directly, explained the problem, and challenged Orbita to resolve his dilemma. Although a somewhat daunting prospect, as breaking the spring of the #4002 would be a catastrophe with repair costs by the original Swiss watchmaker in the region of $5,000 to $10,000, Chuck Agnoff, Orbita's president, rose to the occasion. "No problem, we can do it" was his reply and immediately set to designing a special mount that would accommodate the massive #5002 case. Using the watch dimensions supplied by the owner, he first built a wooden replica of the watch to test the fit and mounting position. He sent the modified mount to Pulver to be sure the fit was correct. With some back and forth tweaking, the final product was delivered just shy of three weeks from the beginning of the project and the custom-made Sempre is now operating perfectly and keeping the Sky Moon Tourbillon fully wound every day.

According to Gerald Pulver .... "It is a beautiful thing to see. It has performed flawlessly ..."

According to Chuck Agnoff ... "The world recognizes the Swiss as leaders in watchmaking technology; maybe now Orbita has demonstrated that leadership in watchwinding technology."
Old 28 February 2007, 03:49 AM   #15
v8sam

Watch: 16618
I have a rapport which i purchased from ebay in mahogany 4 months ago very pleased with it.

v8sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 07:20 AM   #16
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
Here's What they can accomplish!

WINDING PATEK PHILIPPE'S SKY MOON TOURBILLON

Orbita Corporation has again proven its innovativeness, conquering what was considered to be an insurmountable watchwinder challenge by winding the world's most complicated watch.

Introduced in 2002, Patek Philippe's super complicated Sky Moon Tourbillon (PP#5002) was built on the foundation of the millennium year's incredible Star Caliber pocket watch. Demonstrating the commitment of Patek Philippe to advancing the technical art of watch making, and priced at around $750,000, the Sky Moon Tourbillon is truly unique with 12 complications and two watch faces.

The first American owner of the #5002 learned that no manual winder was available from Patek that would keep his hand-wound watch wound and the prospect of resetting 12 individual complications should the watch ever stop was somewhat overwhelming to him. He did discover, however, that many Patek watch owners, having the same need to keep their hand-wound Perpetual Calendar watches running, were already using Orbita's Sempre winder. However, as the #5002 has the winding crown positioned not at 3 o'clock but at 4 o'clock, Patek did not think the standard Sempre could do the job given this unusual crown location and, in fact, they were correct.

However, himself a successful entrepreneur, the owner, Mr. Gerald Pulver, decided to take matters into his own hands. He contacted Orbita directly, explained the problem, and challenged Orbita to resolve his dilemma. Although a somewhat daunting prospect, as breaking the spring of the #4002 would be a catastrophe with repair costs by the original Swiss watchmaker in the region of $5,000 to $10,000, Chuck Agnoff, Orbita's president, rose to the occasion. "No problem, we can do it" was his reply and immediately set to designing a special mount that would accommodate the massive #5002 case. Using the watch dimensions supplied by the owner, he first built a wooden replica of the watch to test the fit and mounting position. He sent the modified mount to Pulver to be sure the fit was correct. With some back and forth tweaking, the final product was delivered just shy of three weeks from the beginning of the project and the custom-made Sempre is now operating perfectly and keeping the Sky Moon Tourbillon fully wound every day.

According to Gerald Pulver .... "It is a beautiful thing to see. It has performed flawlessly ..."

According to Chuck Agnoff ... "The world recognizes the Swiss as leaders in watchmaking technology; maybe now Orbita has demonstrated that leadership in watchwinding technology."
TWELVE Complications?????????
Sounds like too much pain in the ass for my liking-I'll stick with my Subs.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 08:25 AM   #17
Tommer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post

$32 on ebay
i got jibbed, paid twice of that amount
Tommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 09:06 AM   #18
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Jacobs View Post
TWELVE Complications?????????
Sounds like too much pain in the ass for my liking-I'll stick with my Subs.
Here's a write-up on it.

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/clo...llon/index.htm
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 10:48 AM   #19
watchdawg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Just read the right up on the watch. I sure hope that watch comes with detailed instructions. The guy who designed that must be a glutton for punishment to get all those complications to work at the same time. Even if it did come from a pocket watch just putting it all to gether must have been an enormous task. My hats off to him. Must be a hell of a winder that orbita developed.

Last edited by watchdawg; 28 February 2007 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Added more.
watchdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2007, 05:08 PM   #20
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

I don't own an orbita , but have had one used on my rolex , I was impressed
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 11:05 AM   #21
Tomko
"TRF" Member

What about Eilux by Everwell? Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks,

Current:
TT LN GMT-Master II 2007
Tudor Oyster-Prince Quartz 1999
Victorinox Swiss Army 1994
Lassale 1987

Retired:
Seiko Quartz 1981
Timex LCD 1979
Timex mini-sub style 1975
Timex 1971
Tomko is offline   Reply With Quote