The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2007, 10:11 AM   #1
mfer
"TRF" Member

Newb Question - Negotiate with AD????

First off, great forum. Just found it today and been reading quite a bit.

Well, I've been saving for some time to get a SS Sub No-Date (I was thinking that I only needed $3800, but now $4525 ). Oh well, I'm still gonna get it. I like the clean look of the crystal over the SS Sub W/Date. I wish they had a Sub that had the same date as the Sea-Dweller, but without the thickness, but I digress.

Anyway, I read a couple of threads today that people mentioned that they would negotiate with the AD on the price. I have only talked to two (one in St. Louis and one in Maui) and both of them said the price is set by Rolex and cannot be negotiated. Is it just the places I went. Can I negotiate? If so, what can I expect to get for a SS Sub No-Date. I will be taking a few trips this year to Maryland and Las Vegas. Should I wait to go there?

mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 11:15 AM   #2
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
That's a very common question here on the board - short answer> some AD's will and some will not. From what I can tell, coming in cold off the street with no prior relationship with the AD will severely limit your ability to dicker - especially on a SS watch. If you come in or call with a good reference - maybe. If I were buying that particular watch I would get it from a grey dealer. The ones I know can get you a new one for $4000 or better (I will PM you with my recs). The downside is very small and more than covered by the savings you will receive.

K4S
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 12:36 PM   #3
OysterDavid
Banned

Your own posturing

The delicate topic of how and when to ask about discounts with an AD is best accomplished when you've got the cash or credit limit and are ready to buy. Casual shopping and test driving a Rolex, especially if you've never bought anything from that AD will get a casual answer to the questions of price movements.

You sound like someone who knows what they want. When you're really ready to make the deal, stop into the AD, try it on and if it smiles back at you, just say "If I were to buy this today, right now, would you be able to do anything with the final price?", and then just shut up and let them respond.

Have some kind of figure in mind that will work for you...10%, 12%, etc and know what those numbers are. Be sure to ask if the price is 'out the door' of if you'll be expected to pay the price on top of sales tax.

Do some homework with the Gray dealers so you know what they might offer the watch for. That way you'll have a reference point when and if a discounted price is offered.

If this is going to be your first, last and always Rolex purchase, then it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference which place you get it from, but if you plan on taking the watch back for tweeking and bracelet sizing and occasional polishing and just plain conversation, then try and realize that price isn't everything, and cut the AD some slack so they can stay in business to service your needs in the future.

If you don't get a price that rocks your world, just politely say thank you and try another AD. In spite of what you might read on these postings, there is no 'magic price' that only those in the know can achieve. Generally, unless the Rolex you want is what everyone else wants too, you can get some kind of discount.

And don't forget that if you have cash instead of plastic, you are well within your buyer's rights to ask for an additional 3% or so, because the dealer would have to absorb that in a credit card transaction. But save that question for last.

Good luck.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
I'd like to chime in on cash versus credit card deal.

Typically, the credit card companies charge 4% on the final price to the AD on a purchase made on one of their cards.

It would make more sense to pay cash, as the AD would be more flexible in the price by sharing that 4% saved value with you. Say 2% to him and 2% to you in a discount.

Right there, just by paying in cash you've earned yourself a 2% discount.

Work from there.

As for AD's not being flexible on price, I find that once you pic the model you want and are ready to pay cash, bring the cash with you on the day you wish to buy and make an offer to the dealer.

If you're nervous carrying so much cash around, you can try what I did. Depending on the model of watch, bring anywhere from $500 to $1000 in cash and hangle with the AD for a discount and mention that as a sign of good faith, if you two can come to an agreement you will leave a deposit on the watch and come in tomorrow and pay the rest of the watch off.

I did this when I purchased my Sea Dweller. By the way, I got a 21% discount on cash off MSRP!

How do you like that?
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 12:54 PM   #5
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Vegas are know to sell at full MSRP, most AD are flexible, 20%+ if you play your cards right
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 01:00 PM   #6
mfer
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the input. I do have the cash and was planning on using the 3% discount for that. I do understand the reasoning of establishing a relationship with a dealer. I have a very good relationship with a jeweler, but they do not deal in Rolex. As far as I can tell, there is only one dealer in St. Louis and that is why they aren't negotiating. I did do the thing what OysterDave recommending. Offering, If I buy it now, cash, what can you do for me. Got the reply, "Rolex sets the prices, not us."

It seems that you guys don't think that "Gray" dealers are all that bad? Of the "Gray" dealers I have seen, $3800 is the lowest, but I would rather pay some more for an AD to have the benefits of cleaning, link removal, etc.

I just thought of something else also. I have a buddy in DC that has 3 Rolex's from the same place. I'll give him a call.

Thanks.
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 01:09 PM   #7
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Good advice in the above posts, let me add something. Las Vegas is pretty much guaranteed NOT to discount Rolex watches. If you're heading out of state, then try the bargaining mentioned above and have the AD ship it to your home state to avoid the sales tax.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 02:17 PM   #8
OysterDavid
Banned

First, I cannot believe that in the entire metropolitan area of St Louis, there is only ONE AD. There's an 800 number for Rolex that will give you the names of AD's based on zip codes and I suggest you pursue that.

Secondly, Las Vegas is much more than the tourist strip. Sure, the big T and Wynn's Rolex emporium on the strip are probably not offering discounts, but there are lots and lots of citizens in Las Vegas and they don't do much shopping on the strip. If you're determined to shop in Vegas, then do as the locals do and find an AD off the strip.

Limiting your search to one AD in either place seems self defeating. It reminds me of the recent posting that declared in all of Arizona, only BenBridge was selling Rolex's because 'they said so'. Poppycock. Maybe in Smallville, USA there's only one AD, but otherwise there is competition.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 02:19 PM   #9
Blue Bull
Banned

Less 25% on the Z serial Blue and less 28% on the D serial Dweller.Both brand new and AD...Cash in hand. Hows that for business ??

Buy low,sell high,seek the best deal and ya' shall find...Good Luck !!
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 03:45 PM   #10
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
I'd like to chime in on cash versus credit card deal.

Typically, the credit card companies charge 4% on the final price to the AD on a purchase made on one of their cards.

It would make more sense to pay cash, as the AD would be more flexible in the price by sharing that 4% saved value with you. Say 2% to him and 2% to you in a discount.

Right there, just by paying in cash you've earned yourself a 2% discount.

Work from there.

As for AD's not being flexible on price, I find that once you pic the model you want and are ready to pay cash, bring the cash with you on the day you wish to buy and make an offer to the dealer.

If you're nervous carrying so much cash around, you can try what I did. Depending on the model of watch, bring anywhere from $500 to $1000 in cash and hangle with the AD for a discount and mention that as a sign of good faith, if you two can come to an agreement you will leave a deposit on the watch and come in tomorrow and pay the rest of the watch off.

I did this when I purchased my Sea Dweller. By the way, I got a 21% discount on cash off MSRP!

How do you like that?

I think that a better estimate is 2-2.5% for MC/Visa and 3.5-4% for AMEX. That being said, for most watches you should still be able to get a discount off of MSRP whiles using a CCard. If the AD is being jiggy - then you may be limted by their CCard processing fees. The big issue is sales tax - that's where a cash purchase can really come in handy.

K4S

p.s. My little trick is that my Mastercard kicks me back 1% so I'm really only paying 1/2 the load they may keep in there due to a CCard purchase.
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 03:55 PM   #11
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Less 25% on the Z serial Blue and less 28% on the D serial Dweller.Both brand new and AD...Cash in hand. Hows that for business ??

Buy low,sell high,seek the best deal and ya' shall find...Good Luck !!
that would be a great deal! OP should look into that if they dont mind buying out of the country
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2007, 05:38 PM   #12
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
I just thought of something else also. I have a buddy in DC that has 3 Rolex's from the same place. I'll give him a call.

Thanks.
There you go... references are indispensable. Also, your jeweler who doesn't carry Rolex might be able to refer you to someone who does...

Work those connections, Mfer.

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2007, 04:41 AM   #13
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

haggling works every time
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote