The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 March 2007, 09:56 AM   #1
Tfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ Champagne
New Member Needs help 15223

I'm about to make my first Rolex purchase...not very knowledgeble.

In Toronto they are asking $9430 CDN ($7850 USD for a 116233.

I'm more interested in the 15233 which they are asking $7430 CDN ($6150 USD).

It is new in the showcase but they tell me that it's a 2001 model.

It's a TT Datejust with an oyster bracelt, champagne face.

They are willing to discount 20% for CASH.

What is your opinion of the pricing in particular the 15233?

Is this competitive?

TIA

Fish
Tfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 10:03 AM   #2
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Welcome to TRF, Mike. I would say that the Rolex Date 15233 should be more in the range of $4,500US, especially for a 2001 model. Both prices seem a little high to me.

Enjoy your time here on TRF. I like the type of watch you are looking at - here is my DJ:

Good luck with your watch search! I suggest that you shop around a bit first.
Old 9 March 2007, 10:33 AM   #3
OysterDavid
Banned

I'm commenting on this from a USA perspective. The two watches you're referencing are different. The Datejust, 116233 is a slightly larger watch than the 15233 Date watch. Both are mainstays of the Rolex line and share the same movement. However, the Date is 34mm rather than 36mm for the Datejust.

Your wrist size and pocketbook size probably dictate which will work best for you.

How's the pricing? Well, that's tough for me to comment on because I'm not in Canada. I've found that by checking at a Gray market on line seller like Alan Furman (alanfurman.com) you can get a pretty good price reference, but remember, a Gray dealer offers no manufacturing warranty, just an in house warranty. This may or may not be a big deal with a Rolex, which tends to come out of the box and run for years without trouble.

In both watches you're looking at two toned with Oyster bracelet. They're both great timekeeping pieces that will keep you happy for years and years, or at least until you become as obsessed as the rest of us here and aspire for multiple models of the Rolex family to temporarily satisfy your mounting craving for everything Rolex.

You also have options for preowned Rolex. That might be worth exploring if price is an issue.

Don't be concerned about a 2001 NEW in box Rolex, unless you're talking about the Datejust. That model underwent a physical revamp recently and you may want to make sure if that's your choice, you're getting the newer clasp and watch head. A 2001 serial Date is the same as a more recent Date. It might or might not be more prone to discounting depending on how long the dealer has had it in stock and how motivated they are to wanting it sold.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Tfish
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterDavid View Post
I'm commenting on this from a USA perspective. The two watches you're referencing are different. The Datejust, 116233 is a slightly larger watch than the 15233 Date watch. Both are mainstays of the Rolex line and share the same movement. However, the Date is 34mm rather than 36mm for the Datejust.

Your wrist size and pocketbook size probably dictate which will work best for you.

How's the pricing? Well, that's tough for me to comment on because I'm not in Canada. I've found that by checking at a Gray market on line seller like Alan Furman (alanfurman.com) you can get a pretty good price reference, but remember, a Gray dealer offers no manufacturing warranty, just an in house warranty. This may or may not be a big deal with a Rolex, which tends to come out of the box and run for years without trouble.

Thanks for your reply. In that case

In both watches you're looking at two toned with Oyster bracelet. They're both great timekeeping pieces that will keep you happy for years and years, or at least until you become as obsessed as the rest of us here and aspire for multiple models of the Rolex family to temporarily satisfy your mounting craving for everything Rolex.

You also have options for preowned Rolex. That might be worth exploring if price is an issue.

Don't be concerned about a 2001 NEW in box Rolex, unless you're talking about the Datejust. That model underwent a physical revamp recently and you may want to make sure if that's your choice, you're getting the newer clasp and watch head. A 2001 serial Date is the same as a more recent Date. It might or might not be more prone to discounting depending on how long the dealer has had it in stock and how motivated they are to wanting it sold.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
Thanks for that info,

In that case is the discounted price of $6,100 USD a competitive price?

Thanks

Fish
Old 9 March 2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Tfish
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfish View Post
Thanks for that info,

In that case is the discounted price of $6,100 USD a competitive price?

Thanks

Fish
I mean for the 116233.

sorry for the omission.

Fish
Old 9 March 2007, 01:17 PM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfish View Post
I mean for the 116233.

sorry for the omission.

Fish
Hi Mike,

Welcome to TRF. Click on this link below. Some good prices for comparison as well as pics to give you an idea of what you need to buy.

http://www.alanfurman.com/noframes/rolex1.html#pres

Good luck with the purchase.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote