The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 March 2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Snakeyes
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Need some advice from someone w/ experience

Hello my name is Pete and I'm new to this.
I have just won a auction for a 1999 Rolex air-king on ebay.
I would like to know the safest way possible to find out if this watch is really an authentic Rolex or a fake. I really can't afford to get ripped off. I guess the one good thing that I am doing is making the transaction through paypal.
If anyone can give me some suggestions on any questions that maybe I should be asking or any other words of advice, I would appreciate it very much.
The link below shows what the watch looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7537&rd=1&rd=1

Thank You In Advance To Anyone Who Helps Me Out.
Pete
Snakeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2007, 06:53 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeyes View Post
Hello my name is Pete and I'm new to this.
I have just won a auction for a 1999 Rolex air-king on ebay.
I would like to know the safest way possible to find out if this watch is really an authentic Rolex or a fake. I really can't afford to get ripped off. I guess the one good thing that I am doing is making the transaction through paypal.
If anyone can give me some suggestions on any questions that maybe I should be asking or any other words of advice, I would appreciate it very much.
The link below shows what the watch looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7537&rd=1&rd=1

Thank You In Advance To Anyone Who Helps Me Out.
Pete

Well Pete (U) date serial letter started August 1997 and (A) date letter serial started November 1998.Now the Airking is not one of Rolex best sellers so could have been in retailer for quite some time before sold.Watch and the paperwork look fine although they are not the best pictures.Now between the lugs if you take bracelet off,you should find the serial number at the 6 O'Clock position and the model reference at the 12 O'Clock position.These should match your paperwork,or take your watch to your nearest Rolex AD they will authenticate it for you.Now the Airking in that Explorer type dial is a great choice,and all Airkings are seldom counterfeited. And by paying with CC via Paypal you have some protection if the goods are not as described.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Snakeyes
"TRF" Member

Padi56,
Thanks for the info!!
Old 8 March 2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Hi Pete, welcome aboard.

To add to what Padi said, use a credit card to pay through PayPal for added protection against a counterfeit.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2007, 11:00 PM   #5
steve-o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue TT Sub
[quote=Alcan;189735To add to what Padi said, use a credit card to pay through PayPal for added protection against a counterfeit.[/quote]

Good advice.
Old 9 March 2007, 12:05 AM   #6
Scooby

Watch: GMT
Watch looks nice. Welcome to TRF.

Question about certificate, having never bought a Rolex: Doesn't Rolex have a 2 year warranty? And shouldn't there be the holes in the certificate with the serial number or model number? Or, is that a more recent thing?
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 12:14 AM   #7
OysterDavid
Banned

I'd relax...

Pete, The Air King just isn't one of the models that's going to get counterfeited on any kind of regular basis. Everything looks fine to me at first glance.

If the "U" serial number takes it back to '99 or so, then it might be in need of a regular service anyway.

I've bought a couple of preowned Tudor's on the auction site, and I bid with the thought in mind the pieces were going to need service anyway. Once I had the watch in hand, off it went to either an RSC or my own watchmaker for servicing. I would have known real fast if there was something amiss, and there never were any problems. I think you've taken all the precautions you're able to with buying at auction, and it appears you've got yourself a ticket to the Rolex owners club!

If it were me, I'd take the watch in for a service either by sending it to one of the 3 Rolex RSC's or a reliable, referenced watchmaker locally for a regular service. It will set you back another couple of hundred dollars, but you'll have what amounts to a new watch when it comes back and you'll have yourself a truly fine timepiece that will last for decades.

By the way...that's a great dial choice for the Air King.

Good luck.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 12:32 AM   #8
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
I agree with the other comments. The AirKing isn't a hightly counterfitted model. You'll have a fair bit of security with PayPal and a CC. Follow the advice above and you should be in good shape.

Nice choice. That's my favorite AirKing.

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 02:04 AM   #9
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Good Watch. Welcome To TRF.
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 03:55 AM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF, Pete. Padi's given you all the correct info and advice. I'd go with what he said.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 08:14 AM   #11
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Excellent choice! I have the exact same watch. Blue dial. Exactly the same. Mine was purchased recently from an AD and trust me, you got a good deal price wise. As Padi said the Air King can kinda sit in the retailer's case for a long time until it is purchased. Although mine is "new" it is a 2004 model based on serial number.

I think you got a smoking deal and the watch looks great! Love that blue dial. You will too. Goes well with a suit or blue jeans.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Mine. Looks the same right? Congrats! Welcome to the world of being a Rolex Owner!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 12:41 PM   #12
Snakeyes
"TRF" Member

I'd like to thank everyone for welcoming me into the forum and for taking the time out to give me advice.

Thanks!
Old 9 March 2007, 01:28 PM   #13
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
I really like the Air King! Nice photos! The 3, 6,9 and then the Crown at 12 really looks sharp in my opinion. Pure simplicity. Very understated watch. Even like the name "Air King" , to me the name speaks of international travel and adventure!
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 01:40 PM   #14
tag_addict

Watch: T-Touch Carbon
nice watch.
good price.

decent price, but fellas let us not forget he has about 500USD in service fees ahead of him :)

looks ok to me, do paypal with CC like everyone else says.
Feedback looks decent.
You shouldn't have a problem
the SECOND you get it take it to an AD
have them write an appraisal or a letter saying its fake
that way when your CC asks for proof
you got it :)
tag_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 01:50 PM   #15
Mrdi
Banned

A mini Explorer in Blue.
They are very cool.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2007, 08:47 PM   #16
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Pete
Welcome the blue Arabic dial is very nice, I agree with what has been said an AD can tell you that the watch is authentic. I noticed several scratches on the bracelet from the ebay photo, this is common and on every bracelet the seller advised he/she had only worn the watch 20 or 30 times, that could be possible but I would say he/she wore it more than 20 to 30 times. Scratches can be removed so don’t loose sleep over them.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote