The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2007, 08:12 AM   #1
aawong
"TRF" Member

rsc polish or dealer?

Hey guys i have two watches that i would like to get refinished buy mostly a GMT. The watch was recently serviced not RSC. And i would rather not wait till the next service because the watch is keeping time well.
Option #1 RSC quote 200.00cad for polish
Option #2 La Swiss Qoute 100.00cad for polish
Does the RSC polish come with papers? and who will do a better job? Any horror stories of polishing done by someone other that RSC?
aawong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 09:44 AM   #2
OysterDavid
Banned

Refinish

It is often noted in these on line Rolex forums that nobody refinishes a Rolex like an RSC, and to a degree that may be true, but a skilled watchmaker with the proper polishing tools and masking tape and care can come awfully close.

If your non Rolex service place comes with a good reputation, then I wouldn't hesitate to save $100 CN on a 'mid term' refinish.

If you have some reservations, then I think it would be within bounds to ask for a recent reference from your watchmaker, call that person and perhaps even ask to meet and see the refinished watch to satisfy yourself that the work meets your expectations.

And the worst case is that you have to send the watch back to an RSC for a makeover. It's really hard to destroy the Rolex grade SS to a degree where it cannot be refinished. Under those circumstances you'll be out $100, but at least you'll be able to rectify someone's faulty workmanship.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
That's an interesting point, David and aawong. It would be intriguing to see how many people have had their Rolex watches refinished by a watchmaker with good or bad results, as opposed to the results from an RSC.

I have a local jeweler that is an authorized Rolex dealer and has an excellent watchmaker on the premises a couple of days a week. He does fairly simple work, but when it comes to a full service/w polishing, the watch goes off to a regional RSC.

Interesting topic!
Old 10 March 2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Prince Tudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by aawong View Post
Hey guys i have two watches that i would like to get refinished buy mostly a GMT. The watch was recently serviced not RSC. And i would rather not wait till the next service because the watch is keeping time well.
Option #1 RSC quote 200.00cad for polish
Option #2 La Swiss Qoute 100.00cad for polish
Does the RSC polish come with papers? and who will do a better job? Any horror stories of polishing done by someone other that RSC?
Which La Swiss are you planning on taking it to?
If I remember correctly, both the Square 1 and Eaton Centre stores are Rolex dealers. I assume you were thinking of one of these two.
They seem to be an "up and up" place.
They are all owned by one guy. They are not a franchise.
If it's "mid term" I might take my chances with them. Not only will you save 100 bucks because it's expensive to service Rolex's as is, but you'll probably get it back sooner.
Please let us know what you decide and what the results are.
Prince Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2007, 10:43 AM   #5
OysterDavid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
That's an interesting point, David and aawong. It would be intriguing to see how many people have had their Rolex watches refinished by a watchmaker with good or bad results, as opposed to the results from an RSC.

I have a local jeweler that is an authorized Rolex dealer and has an excellent watchmaker on the premises a couple of days a week. He does fairly simple work, but when it comes to a full service/w polishing, the watch goes off to a regional RSC.
Over the past year I've used both my favorite Rolex trained watchmaker in San Francisco and all 3 of the RSC's in the USA for various tasks.

Recently purchased preowned Tudor's and one Rolex were all sent to RSC's so I could be confident in authenticity and to fully restore an 'older' Tudor mini-sub and Tudor Quartz. My own existing Rolex Date models, purchased new 20 and 30 years ago went to the independent.

I could not tell the difference in the refinish work between the two entities. And my two Date models, in for long needed routine servicing, came back adjusted to almost exact timekeeping by the independent. But, the timepieces sent to the different Rolex RSC's came out looking new, and keeping excellent time, but not as exacting as the other two watches.

So, that's my story. If my watch needed routine servicing and did not need new parts like dials, hands and such, my independent watchmaker does the work...and at a price more reasonable than Rolex,USA. Heavy duty restoration stuff will continue to go to Rolex, but after my buying spree over the past 12 months, I don't think I'll be needing to send anything anywhere for a long while.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote