The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2007, 12:12 AM   #1
oneeastriver
"TRF" Member

Advice on New Watch for Wife

We just had a baby 2 weeks ago, and I want to get my wife a gift for the delivery (also known as a "push" present).

She really wants a new watch, and I have no clue where to start. I do know she wants a much bigger watch face than her little cartier she's had for years.

What would be the best Rolex to go with not to exceed $5-6k. Would a men's Rolex be way too big for her wrist?
oneeastriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 04:20 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well there are lots of ladies that wear gents watches,the ladies Yachtmaster 29mm and a mid size 34mm,plus gents 40mm welcome to TRF.

29mm version white dial TT.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 05:05 AM   #3
DesertDogs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everose Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeastriver View Post
We just had a baby 2 weeks ago, and I want to get my wife a gift for the delivery (also known as a "push" present).

She really wants a new watch, and I have no clue where to start. I do know she wants a much bigger watch face than her little cartier she's had for years.

What would be the best Rolex to go with not to exceed $5-6k. Would a men's Rolex be way too big for her wrist?
I bought the mid-sized YM and just love the larger size. I bet she would also. It is a 35mm. Here are some pictures.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex w-rings.jpg (54.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Mid Size2.jpg (34.7 KB, 159 views)
DesertDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 05:22 AM   #4
Blue Bull
Banned

Jan,that 35mm looks great,size wise

From the male Rolex's, the Dates and Airkings,may also be great choices.A ss Airking with a pink dial should look great on a lady's wrist ..

A ss or TT Ladies DJ in 29mm will always be a great choice .. Many different dials to choose from..
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 06:13 AM   #5
sinbad
"TRF" Member

Mid-size SS/PT YM would be the ticket.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 07:43 AM   #6
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
Jan,that 35mm looks great,size wise

From the male Rolex's, the Dates and Airkings,may also be great choices.A ss Airking with a pink dial should look great on a lady's wrist ..

A ss or TT Ladies DJ in 29mm will always be a great choice .. Many different dials to choose from..

Agree. The Air King with the pink dial would be great.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 08:05 AM   #7
Mrdi
Banned

Salmon Air King
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 08:56 AM   #8
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
31mm datejust with new jubilee bracelet.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
31mm datejust with new jubilee bracelet.
That would be seriously cool too...
Old 25 March 2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Solo118
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I agree on those YM stunning!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 11:17 AM   #11
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
You said that your price range is $5K - $6K! A new TT ladies DateJust will be though to get for that price range. Maybe a SS DateJust with a gold bezel would be nice.
Old 25 March 2007, 02:28 PM   #12
oneeastriver
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses!

I checked out some watches today in midtown manhattan, but I'm still a little confused. I really liked the blue dials that I saw on the Air King as well as the Datejust. However, after doing some more research on the web, I noticed several Air Kings with blue dials that are actually different from each other (for example, one had only steel bars for each of the numbers on the dial, while another had the "3", "6", "9" numbers instead of bars). Is the correct explanation that there are just a ton of different varieties of each Rolex model? Or am I comparing a very old model with a newer model?

I was also shown the Explorer I today with a black dial. Haven't seen a whole lot on these boards discussing the Explorer I. Is this a good watch I should consider along with Air King and Datejust?

Lastly, and most important, the salesperson at the store told me that he can't discount Rolexes at all. This is because they mail all receipts directly to Rolex so all the prices are checked. He explained that the Rolex brand is different from all others, because they enforce a "no discounting" policy. So why am I seeing new rolexes discounted all over various websites? And can I feel comfortable ordering from some of these sites (Jomashop, Luxury Bazaar, FinestWatches, etc.)?
oneeastriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 02:45 PM   #13
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
I see that you are from new york, the sales person is BS'ing you.
You can get discounts from an rolex AD, I am guessing that you went to Tourneau.

If you don't mind traveling out to the long island, try london jewelers in manhasset, that or wempe at peninsula hotel.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 03:04 PM   #14
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
The blue dial Air King - Precision with just the marker's in the 14000M.

Then there's the white dial Air King - Precision with the roman numerals which is the 14010M.

I believe the blue dial that you saw with the 3,6,9 points is just an oyster perpetual 77080. It's not an Air King.

I'm not a Air King connisseur, but I wouldn't be surprised if you can get some of these Air Kings with different coloured dials.

None of these watches are COSC. I checked a blue Air King today also and found the dial to be quite small for a man's wrist. This watch would be well suited to fit a woman's wrist.

The Explorer 1 is more of a dressier-style watch. Those here who want an Explorer, tend to just go straight for the 16570 Explorer II white or black dial. The Explorer 1 has no date which most guys here value. From what I've observed on this forum, most would rather go for the Sub-No Date rather than the Explorer 1 due to it's sportier look and better depth rating. Unlike the Sub-No Date and the Air King, interestingly enough, the Explorer 1 is COSC certified.

Websites selling new Rolex's are Grey Market dealers. True Rolex AD's are not allowed to sell Rolex's over the internet. Grey Market dealer's come with their own disadvantages. Sure you can save money on the watch, but you're pretty much taking some chances that the watches may have been tampered with, and the watch will not come with a Rolex USA 2 year warrantee. The only warrantee you'll get is whatever the Grey Market Dealer is offering you. If you buy Grey Market and the watch is clean, hopefully you won't have any problems with it for the next 2 years. After that, we're (meaning everyone here who's bought from an AD) all in the same boat with you over servicing the watches.

As for what the Rolex salesperson said to you, I agree, they are B'Sing you. Prices listed inside the Rolex catalog are MSRP. Written in fine-print at the bottom of the Rolex Pricing List, it states that "These prices serve as only a guide and an AD may chose to sell listed models for less than the MSRP".

It depends on the AD I guess. Some just don't want to discount and basically use this line as an excuse.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 03:22 PM   #15
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

Welcome

Welcome to TRF.

If your wife likes a larger dial, here's some I might suggest you look at if you can find them:

Here's the dimensions of the Explorer range:

Explorer I (black dial only) Dial diameter 30.5mm Case diameter 35.5mm
Explorer II (white or black dial) " 30.4mm " " 40.2mm

She may find them too heavy. Or wonder what the red hand does on the ExpII.
There was a white dial ladies model on the old Rolex website, but I can't recall what model it was. It looked a bit larger than the normal ladies range.

Funny how women now want bigger watches these days, my wife has large wrists, almost 7" and she quietly lusts after my 14060M.
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 03:28 PM   #16
Gaijin

I have this watch with the 3/6/9 on the blue dial...and it is an Air King.
Old 25 March 2007, 04:32 PM   #17
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Salmon Air King . Welcome To TRF. Congratulations On The Baby !!
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2007, 06:57 PM   #18
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
there are 2 variations for the blue dial air king....

one is the 3-6-9 version (as in KansaiVet's pic)....and the other has baton markers......

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote