The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > For Sale: ROLEX (brand) watches

Old 25 April 2007, 03:40 AM   #1
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
FS 1990 Lady Rolex Datejust 2 Tone

This is a 26MM 29 Jewel Rolex 2135 Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust with Sapphire Crystal. Serial 691XX and Serial E9587XX. The band is original. The watch runs but needs service. This watch has a smooth Steel bezel that was a replacement. The dial is Rolex diamond dial and original 2135 Movement. I am asking $3500 OBO. I will on take Paypal and Ship to confirmed Address. I will provide track # and insurance in the price. I will ship it to you in a Green Box. This would make a nice Mothers Day Gift or For that Special Lady. Thanks. PM your responses.
I have a group shot but mine is not for sale the smaller one is for sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Real 1.JPG (24.2 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg Real 2.JPG (15.2 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg TT mmy.JPG (46.5 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Together.JPG (61.3 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by mikey; 30 April 2007 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: pics
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2007, 06:34 AM   #2
mikey
"TRF" Member

I will include 1 Rolex Spoon to the person that buys the Lady Datejust. I really need to sell. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DJ 1.JPG (44.0 KB, 212 views)

Last edited by mikey; 3 May 2007 at 04:54 AM..
Old 5 May 2007, 04:10 AM   #3
mikey
"TRF" Member

Come on guys Make an offer...I need to sell. Thanks
Old 5 May 2007, 03:17 PM   #4
mikey
"TRF" Member

Guys, I would even appreciate comments or whatever you want to mention about this watch for sale. I know this is not a petrified tree. Its a genuine Rolex ladies DJ. At least say something.
Old 5 May 2007, 03:49 PM   #5
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
Good luck on the sale. Not something that I require.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2007, 02:52 AM   #6
mikey
"TRF" Member

Would anyone think the watch would be more inclined to buy if I installed a gold fluted bezel?
Old 6 May 2007, 03:09 AM   #7
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Try some non-cameraphone pics.
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2007, 04:11 AM   #8
mikey
"TRF" Member

I am still learning photography but I will take some pics outside to get better natural light. I am using a Aiptek DigiCam 6Megapixel.
Old 6 May 2007, 04:23 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Would anyone think the watch would be more inclined to buy if I installed a gold fluted bezel?
Definitely!! That SS bezel is a total mis-match against the rest of the watch.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Not my style.

But for others...

Do you have box and papers? Why was the bezel changed?

Good luck.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2007, 07:47 AM   #11
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Try some non-cameraphone pics.
LOL
Old 6 May 2007, 03:48 PM   #12
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Quote:
Guys, I would even appreciate comments or whatever you want to mention about this watch for sale. I know this is not a petrified tree. Its a genuine Rolex ladies DJ. At least say something.
Previous for sale posts ended up becoming threads and chats, so the mods decided that we cannot talk about the watches, we can only post to buy, and other posts were deleted and we got scolded for replying. I guess in your case we can talk about it since you posted the above.

I do want to get my wife a Rolex. it is hard to see the face of that watch, do you have another picture, or maybe an outside link to what it looked like originally?
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2007, 05:41 PM   #13
mikey
"TRF" Member

Astcell, The watch originally was a Yellow Gold Diamond Rolex bezel that split from getting banged. It runs an hour slow. The date change is fine. The watch runs. The description is accurate its a 69173 model with sapphire. It needs an overhaul. if you got a fluted bezel and installed it which is easy to do then send it off to RSC and it will come back looking new. I paid $2500, so make me an offer. PM me. Thanks for your comments guys.
Old 6 May 2007, 06:21 PM   #14
astcell
"TRF" Member

An hour slow? Is that an hour a day or a week or ????
Old 7 May 2007, 02:01 AM   #15
OysterDavid
Banned

My thoughts, and please don't take offense...

Quote:
Mikey, Your short term experience with this particular watch, and your attempt to flip at a profit should be used as a study on why it's very tough to make money in the world of Rolex sales by amateurs.

For better or worse, regular participants of this forum will remember your original posting when you bought this watch. At first, you asked opinions of relative worth...then you got few replies...then you said you'd already bought it and finally you posted your expectations for a quick flip with some extra cash as profit.

Suddenly a few days ago, your watch appears for sale with an asking price about $1000 above your announced buying price.

At the very least, you probably should be trying to sell this watch in a different arena because we know too much.

What you've bought and what you've paid, in my opinion, only makes sense if this were a watch you were going to keep. You've got a few obsticles to overcome right out of the gate.

First, there are a ton of TT Lady Datejust's in the secondary market, all priced between $2500 and $3500 depending on attributes like current condition, age, box and papers, diamonds or not and availability of warranty from the seller. So yours is just another drop in an ocean of Lady Rolex's.

Secondly, you've got a bit of 'Franken', insofar as the bezel isn't true to the watch...and that bezel isn't even gold as the 'normal' bezel is.

Now you're revealing there are repair issues with the watch, so a buyer with expectations is going to have to spend at least a few hundred dollars for an overhaul and a few hundred more to replace the bezel if authenticity is desired.

So look at what you've got here...a watch that you'd really like $3500 for when the marketplace already offers lots of like kind watches in better condition with proper fittings for just about the same price. A potential buyer is going to have to fork over enough dollars that given your original asking price, the total outlay is going to be in excess of $4200.

Mikey, you're a really nice person, but in all honesty, that's not a good deal, and quite frankly, even if I were in the market for a TT Lady Datejust with diamond dial, my selection wouldn't be your watch.

I know when you see regular sellers on this and other sales forums or when you read of one of our forum members posting a sales story about their beloved Sub or SD or Daytona selling for more than what they paid, it's seductively enticing to think about possibly making some extra money just buying and selling a watch brand that you've already fallen in love with. But to do the buying and selling day in and day out and make money on each transaction is something that takes years of knowledge and internal gut instincts that are right more often than being wrong.

Truly, if you want to sell this watch at the price offered, my suggestion would be to find a qualified watchmaker, get the watch fixed up, running well, buffed and shined, perhaps spend the dollars to replace the bezel and start over with diminished expectations of making a profit. Then chalk this up to the school of hard knocks and knowledge and vow to buy a watch only if it sings to you with the expectation that when it no longer is singing, you can let it go at a price close to what you paid and let the next owner listen to the song.

If you just want out of this deal, then try a different sales venue and be prepared to lose some money.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 02:19 AM   #16
mikey
"TRF" Member

OysterDavid, I am not perfect. I am an honest person. I only ask that you buy based on the seller (me). The mikey you know. I would be more inclined to purchase from members here that I converse with on a daily basis versus taking my chances anywhere else.
Old 7 May 2007, 02:24 AM   #17
astcell
"TRF" Member

Yea, but $1000 profit and all you did was sit on the watch...ouch. I'd think you would tune it up in order to get more for it, like a car or something.
Old 7 May 2007, 02:40 AM   #18
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
I have to side with Oyster David and Astcell. A frankenwatch isn't even operating within the COSC spec printed on the dial for 1k dollars more than it is worth. For 3.5k I can get one that is original with box and papers and runs within COSC.

FcB
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 04:01 AM   #19
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
For comparison, I sold a brand new old stock TT-Datejust ladies(k-series) for $3450. delivered last year. Watch was brand new never worn with box and papers.
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 04:08 AM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That's a beautiful post, David....well thought out and very diplomatically written. Have to agree with you on all points.

While the watch is definitely genuine and Mikey is one of us whom we can trust....there are just too many things "missing" in the equation to make that a perfectly saleable watch.

At the very onset, the SS bezel was a turn off when we all know that the original bezel must have been a YG fluted one.

And, Mikey, David is right....we know too much about the watch by now....so not many here would like to "burn" their fingers.

Of course, we trust you, Mikey....but perhaps you should now try and sell that baby on some other avenue....if not for anything else, but at least to keep your good relationship with the rest of these wonderful guys.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 04:12 AM   #21
President
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Yea, but $1000 profit and all you did was sit on the watch...ouch. I'd think you would tune it up in order to get more for it, like a car or something.
Exactly!
Old 7 May 2007, 04:52 AM   #22
OysterDavid
Banned

Mikey,
It's truly not a question of honesty, integrety or anything about your character.

I've taken a couple of liberties about discerning your motivation for purchasing the watch in the first place, but I will say that a purchase of a Rolex is generally not a casual, spur of the moment purchase. People in the market for what you now have to sell have to have a compelling reason to plunk down the cash and acquire that watch which involves a mixture of price/value/wants & needs.

People, especially here, are not going to be inclined to buy the watch at your asking price out of sympathy to your current situation or because you happen to be a stand up person.

I think your circumstances point out to many here the pitfalls and challenges that await someone who thinks there's nothing more to selling pre owned Rolex watches at a profit, or any other brand, merely by buying 'low' and trying to sell 'high'.

I think many can learn how to run such a business, whether full or part time, but in my opinion, it's sheer folly to think casual buying and selling is a way to make money.

I have a high regard for you and your contributions here on this site, but I just don't think your watch is well priced for an easy sale based on the attributes and criteria displayed.

Good luck.
OysterDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2007, 05:37 AM   #23
mikey
"TRF" Member

You seem to be the spokesperson for everyone (on this forum) which is untrue. I have $3500 or best offer (OBO). I explained every detail of the watch known to man. I will accept $2,250.00
Old 7 May 2007, 05:40 AM   #24
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You seem to be the spokesperson for everyone (on this forum) which is untrue. I have $3500 or best offer (OBO). I explained every detail of the watch known to man. I will accept $2,250.00
How about $29.95???

Old 7 May 2007, 05:40 AM   #25
President
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
How about $29.95???

SOLD! LOL
Old 7 May 2007, 05:51 AM   #26
mikey
"TRF" Member

Ha ha President.......When I took the photos I was making the purchase while at home and logged on to the forum to ask questions while talking to the owner. I put $3500 for an asking price because that was a number one of the fellow forum members told me the price would be to purchase. I got the guy down to $2500 and he was glad to get it. Thats where the $3500 asking price came from. We both had a beer, and shook hands. Pretty cool. I guess I had not thought about I had posted everything about how much I paid and all the info I posted on this site. Its my fault. I didn't think about it. I once told you guys that I confide in this forum and discuss everything Rolex here because anyone else would think I was looney. Its cool if nobody purchases.
Old 7 May 2007, 05:57 AM   #27
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...I once told you guys that I confide in this forum and discuss everything Rolex here because anyone else would think I was looney. Its cool if nobody purchases.
Thanks for that, Mikey. I believe you can sell your watch in other venues, as JJ has already mentioned. Best of luck!
Old 7 May 2007, 06:11 AM   #28
mikey
"TRF" Member

Well if you trust the seller then the purchase is going to be awesome. JJ was one of the first to experience my generosity on this site. I would think all the info known about the watch would make someone on the forum comfortable with the watch. PM me at this point if your interested. Thanks guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Box 2.jpg (48.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Box 1.jpg (48.8 KB, 60 views)