The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 August 2007, 01:12 PM   #1
azn022785

Watch: 116710
Why do you buy Rolex??

Some people say watch is just to tell the time or its just a fashion accessory. What do you think??? as Rolex owners??? and Why are you willing pay premium for a Rolex rather then a $10 Gshock??

I'm writing the descriptive essay about rolex watch in school and I ran out of ideas.

Help me here. Also what can a wristwatch represent?
azn022785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 01:22 PM   #2
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Why?

- Long history with Comex (Dive company)
- One of the very first watches to be water resistant
- Originator of the auto-wind (Perpetual) movement
- Bullet Proof case and rugged - see this link ...http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=20264
- Timeless design
- Stupidly accurate
- One of the few watch makers that designs / mfg everything including the movement
- Brilliant marketing people
- Privately owned and provides $$ to charity
Old 2 August 2007, 01:34 PM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

To me, my Rolex represents achievement. Not from a monetary standpoint, but rather a personal one. It also represents a bit of old fashioned tradition, as it's a very personal item, one that is ever-present with me and can be handed down to my loved ones. Finally, it represents me, in a way. It's a little old school in comparison to newer technology and honors the challenges and achievements that gave way to the newer technology watches. And, it's reliable, yet somewhat faulty given the fluctuation of a mechanical movement. But, it's dependable and it won't quit.

My Rolex is a little book, in a way, as it tells a story. Those who look at it see scratches and dings, but I see memories, some good and some not so good. So, it tells a story of where it's been and what's it's been through. It also tells a little story about me. I decided that I wanted my little story to be in a good book, and I think Rolex makes a pretty good book
Old 2 August 2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Paulie
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII and OP!
Saw one on my boss one day, figured I couldn't get the Ferrari at my salary level, but I could do the watch some day. While on vacation, tried one on, felt RIGHT, looked awesome. But I waited till the next vacation and bought. And on the first day when I banged the face on a door and not a mark on it, I knew it was the right choice.

I owned only one other watch, a $100 once around for 24 hours quartz on a 10 dollar strap. Might have to pull it out of the drawer and see if it's still works. :D
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
I have two G shocks as well in my collection where are you getting them for $10.00? Wal-Mart for around $30.00 is the cheapest I have found.

I have several Rolex watches, I never have, nor do I now view a Rolex as a social token of success, there are far more expensive watches that would promote that if one was after the praise of others for having a watch, which is stupid reason to buy a watch in my view.

A Rolex is a watch that appeals to me, and that alone is reason enough for me to buy one.
Since 1989 when I bought my first Rolex, I can count on one hand the number of people who have commented on any of my watches, those who have were Rolex owners themselves.

Rolex Stainless steel watches the Sea-Dweller in particular is in my view is the most durable, classic looking, tool watch you can buy. I have had my Rolex in deep water, in a burning building (dragging people out), in the sand, in the mud, in tight quarters, I have shot over 20,000 rounds while wearing my Sea-Dweller (no break downs or issues), I have been in fights (self defense work-related) while wearing my Sea-Dweller not a major scratch on it. Rolex is worn by many in my occupation and it is not a status reason, having also owned the following brands Seiko, Breitling, Tudor, and Omega theses brands are not as tuff as the Rolex Sea-Dweller is.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Blue Bull
Banned

My instinct tells me to ....
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 04:58 PM   #7
S2000 Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Datum ß
Quote:
Originally Posted by azn022785 View Post
Why do you buy Rolex??
Old 2 August 2007, 05:00 PM   #8
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Rolex is the trademark of my family. My grandfather had one, my father had one, and now I have one. Wearing a Rolex flows in our veins, LOL.

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 05:02 PM   #9
triton
"TRF" Member

my dad plays a part. he owns a DJ.

he influence me. if you can afford a rolex. you have made it. this is a concept he has being a chinese businessman.

however, after getting my first rolex. my perception has changed. probably the cyclops. unique feature.

now if i were to get rolex, it would because they are limited edition or they are out of production or specialty function.
triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 05:20 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
If I buy any other brand, my two Rollies will bash him to smithereens and make him look like this....

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 06:22 PM   #11
peace43
"TRF" Member

Because they're pretty!!! (Can you tell this answer is coming from a woman? LOL!) I inherited my Dad's Rolex, so having my own two Rolex watches reminds me of my Dad. He thought of Rolex as being a very special watch, and I carry on the tradition! And they are pretty, too!!!
peace43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 06:25 PM   #12
dnr21
"TRF" Member

Rolex is a symbol of achievement for me. 1st an Omega during my University days for doing well in studies. Now a Rolex for pampering myself working away from my loved ones. I cant bring my dog to where i work now, but at least i can bring my Rolex, and its with me all the time.

Whenever I feel stressed at work, I will look at my watch to check time. Looking at my watch is such a pleasure. Next one maybe a Vacheron Constantin or Blue Sub. Should be when i reach the next level of my career.

I think Rolex is my symbol of Motivation. Every second, i can stay motivated.
dnr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 07:22 PM   #13
walds11
"TRF" Member

What everybody else said )
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Well said Jerome.
Old 2 August 2007, 07:28 PM   #15
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Chris
Rich is my first name, yes I am content I am not 6" under the ground.
Old 2 August 2007, 08:50 PM   #16
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
I bought a Rolex after about 30 years of viewing them as a symbol of quality and craftsmanship. They are an icon of enginering success, and have done nothing but improve over the years. One day I intend to pass it along to my son, and told him that if he graduates college with a 4.0 he will be asked to take his pick of the Roex line (within reason, of course- can't swell his head right out of the chute)! I like what folks regard as timeless classics in many venues of endavour. Yes, a Rolex is viewed by many as a status symbol, and in some people's minds is irretrievably so! However, I have always felt that if you buy a Rolex, a particular brand of car, a fine Browning/Beretta shotgun, or whatever, just because of how people may think of you, you're missing the point! I, for one, don't do "trends". Purchasing a Rolex because of other people's opinion could very well deny you the proper appreciation of its true qualities, even if its case is made of platinum. A Rolex belongs in your heart because of its design, its beauty, its precision and its durability, IMHO. And, I got tired of the cheap watches geting dinged up and broken over everyday use. So why not have something nice that'll probably outlast even (hopefully) my son?

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 08:52 PM   #17
SSD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Stainless Sub Date
Oh, P.S.: I agree with Rich, I am also very well content, even thankful, that I'm still breathin'!

SUBMARINER OWNERS' CLUB
ESTABLISHED 1953
TRF Member # 5464

SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 09:01 PM   #18
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quality, Design, History.

Those are what Rolex stands for, and that is why I buy Rolex

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 09:10 PM   #19
erasuretim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Why Rolex

Hi!

I am a WIS - lots of watches, lots of makes. Now i almost exclusively wear a Rolex. Why....

I like the conservative design, my Sub contains the same design DNA as the Original over 50 years ago. In 50yrs time it will still be cool because it transcends fashion. In those 50yrs other makers would have redesigned their watches 20 times.

I like the cantankerous nature of Rolex, the way they do things, lack of "ltd editions", Profits to charity, secrecy, no factory tours to placate WIS's, no interviews, no production figures, no serial number tables [officially] They wouldn't produce a James Bond version of their watch!!

I like that Rolex are the bad boys of the watch world - hated by some into 'haute horologie' for not being exclusive enough and their movements being too simple. I like the idea that people think that you are a show off if you wear a Rolex, but it they stopped and talked to me they would understand i do know about watches.

I like being on 'the dark side' I have seen the Rolex factory referred on one web board as "the death star" because everyone else would let them tour their factory except Rolex.

Their watches a tough, rugged, conservative, [mostly] and get handed down from one generation to another [although I'm sure that Rolex would rather you bought a new one!]. I even like the music in the adverts i watch on You tube.

What is it they put in their watches that is so addictive??

Regards

Tim

Last edited by erasuretim; 2 August 2007 at 11:04 PM..
erasuretim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 09:14 PM   #20
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasuretim View Post
Hi!
What is they put in their watches that is so addictive??

Regards

Tim
It is a drug called "Rolexidium" ©

It is released through the watch case and into your skin, going into the blood stream.

That is why you get that "kick"!

VEEERY addictive!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2007, 10:09 PM   #21
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
It was either start buying Rolex watches or buy more guns and already have too many guns! As a bachelor have to do something with my discretionary income! LOL LOL LOL
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2007, 10:57 AM   #22
BLSampson
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Submariner
Craftmanship and durability.
Old 4 August 2007, 11:02 AM   #23
Solar
"TRF" Member

Watch: their hands, baby.
There is a beauty to these watches that is difficult to describe. Seeing them in the flesh is a treat, they have a presence, a muted sort of bling. Seeing them in lit watch cases at an AD reminds me for seeing jewellery pieces in a museum; they have a soft, muted gleam that really catches and holds your eye.

This, and the legendary toughness with countless expeditions, journeys, voyages and travels behind them makes them to me the ideal combination of jewellry and works of art that work.

Just me.

C
Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2007, 11:14 AM   #24
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace43 View Post
Because they're pretty!!! (Can you tell this answer is coming from a woman? LOL!) I inherited my Dad's Rolex, so having my own two Rolex watches reminds me of my Dad. He thought of Rolex as being a very special watch, and I carry on the tradition! And they are pretty, too!!!
Tradition, utility, history, toughness, timelessness and damn, is my SD pretty!!
Letsgodiving is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2007, 11:21 AM   #25
ianmedium
Deregistered

Watch: Rolex Datejust
I love the engineering behind them. I will soon be receiving a seadweller as a gift so there is no cost factor. My client informed me the other day that cost is not a factor!!! I know lucky me! But bearing that in mind having tried on several models I have gone for one of the cheaper one's simply as it is the one that made me smile the most.
When it comes to expensive items logic goes out of the window and passion and soul comes in. That I belive is the major difference and is why I will be able to still like my humble casio but love my soon to be Rolex!
Hope that helps!
Good luck on your report and I hope it does not have the terrible grammar and spelling that you can witness in my posts! Honestly I was educated once but it was a long time ago!
ianmedium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2007, 02:33 PM   #26
alglez
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT blue sub
cuz I can buy a rolex.
alglez is offline   Reply With Quote