The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 September 2011, 07:48 PM   #1
1966-Oyster

Watch: 1969 Rolex AirKing
Vintage Rolex Buckles

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about the SS and gold Rolex vintage buckles for the Rolex leather bands. I am selling 4 vintage leather bands and 7 vintage Rolex buckles for my father. My questions is this: All the SS and Gold Rolex buckles are stamped with only the word "Rolex" right in the center of the underside of the buckle. I know my father purchased all the bands and buckles new from Rolex dealers since I was a boy in the late 60's and early 70's when he purchased them. I used to shop with my dad some 40 plus years ago.

Now that I am selling some of his Rolex bands for him I have done some research to find out the value of the buckles and bands but I have not seen any stamped with only "Rolex" on the back of the buckle. The thing I do know for sure is that I have looked at these bands and buckles for 40 plus years at my fathers home and I do know they are 100% genuine and all purchased new.

Did Rolex make some SS and Gold buckles with just "Rolex" stamped on the underside of the buckle? I wonder why I can not find any like this within the vintage Rolex circles? Its sort of a puzzle to me as I do know they are genuine and vintage. My father preferred the leather bands over the SS Rolex bands and purchased many for all his Rolex watches in the late 60's and early 70's. Anyone have any ideas?

I will post some photos of one of the buckles attached to the band. I have 4 more like this band some in black lizard and 4 extra buckles.

Thanks so much,
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buckle1.jpg (166.3 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg buckle2.jpg (179.8 KB, 685 views)
File Type: jpg buckle3.jpg (164.9 KB, 683 views)
1966-Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2011, 01:19 AM   #2
David AP
"TRF" Member

Hi,

I can't help on the stamping issue, but I might well be interested in an SS one for my Air King.
David AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2011, 02:04 AM   #3
jjmcd
"TRF" Member

Most of the gold Rolex buckles that you see for sale are actually gold plated (not solid gold) and are accordingly marked "Plaque G". Solid gold Rolex buckles are much rarer and more valuable. I suspect that your buckles are solid gold, not plated.
jjmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2011, 04:46 PM   #4
1966-Oyster

Is there a reference I can verify?

Thank you for your information. The Gold and Silver buckles all have the same exact marking. They all have "Rolex" stamped in the center of the underside of the buckle. I will be photographing all 4 Rolex bands and 7 buckles this evening and will offer them by Saturday evening. I am going to offer 4 Rolex bands each with a gold and silver Rolex buckle. My main goal is to be certain of exactly what they are. Would solid gold Rolex buckles have a 14k marking?

Thank you again for your help!

Kevin
Old 1 October 2011, 08:15 PM   #5
arttay10
"TRF" Member

Watch: ????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-Oyster View Post
Thank you for your information. The Gold and Silver buckles all have the same exact marking. They all have "Rolex" stamped in the center of the underside of the buckle. I will be photographing all 4 Rolex bands and 7 buckles this evening and will offer them by Saturday evening. I am going to offer 4 Rolex bands each with a gold and silver Rolex buckle. My main goal is to be certain of exactly what they are. Would solid gold Rolex buckles have a 14k marking?

Thank you again for your help!

Kevin
Hi Kevin - here's a link to a buckle sold on EBay exactly like yours....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROLEX-BEAU...ht_1219wt_1227
arttay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
1966-Oyster

Thank You!

Thank you for finding that link. Your right that is exactly like the buckles I have for sale. I wonder now if that was a rare marking for Rolex as I don't see many marked like mine and the one you shared?

Thank you again!
Kevin
Old 2 October 2011, 12:35 AM   #7
springer
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Check with Tudorman here on the forum. He seems to be a library when it comes to buckles and bands.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2011, 12:39 AM   #8
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
My pharmacist has a YG DD and he replaced his bracelet with a leather strap .. The strap and buckle make for a nice look on certain Rolex models
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Grissom
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc 18K/SS
Here are a few of an old solid 18K gold Rolex Buckle

Some quick pics, for reference purposes, snapped of a solid 18K Rolex buckle purchased in the 1970's......

Front.....

Back.....showing ROLEXSA and .750

Back.....showing ROLEXSA and .750 (Flash)

Who else needs an Intervention?
(109 297) (137 237) (73 115) (221) (23) (56) (229) P-Club Member #5

RIP JJ Irani - TRF Legend
Grissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2011, 03:14 PM   #10
sarir97
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ω & Rolex
Kevin, where will you be selling them?
sarir97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2011, 05:53 PM   #11
1966-Oyster

Thank You Again! . . .

Thanks for the examples of the solid gold Rolex buckles. I had a hunch the solid gold buckles would be marked "750" or "14k".

I have just finished listing all the bands and buckles on ebay. My member name is "mercedes560selca". What I have listed tonight is the last of my fathers Rolex offerings. I have helped my father thin out his Rolex and Omega collection for two years now. Currently I have 4 Rolex leather/lizard bands and each comes with two vintage buckles (one gold and one silver). I also have a vintage Rolex SS rivet band in outstanding condition with nearly no wear. Sorry this post wasn't suppose to be a sales pitch . . just letting you know where to find my current listings.
Thank you again for your information and interest.

As a side note I looked through the "owners collection" of Rolex watches in this forum. I cant get over how extensive and beautiful the members of this forms watches are. Its amazing the collections you all have. I was floored. Here I am with one single Rolex watch . . . very impressed to see what you all own.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 3 October 2011, 04:30 AM   #12
JEC

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Something to watch out for is that many of the buckles currently out there are fakes. Thus markings may differ (in addition to the usual year/decade variations). If you know the provenance of yours then you have nothing to worry about, but it you see other details online it doesn't mean yours are fugazi, in all likely it means the other one is.

It's a big problem with old Omega buckles, there is such a spate of fakes out there that have clear tells but so few people know about them that they are regularly passed off as genuine.
JEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2011, 07:54 PM   #13
1966-Oyster

Good advice . .

Thank you JEC for your input . . well made comments. I think my main concern was not showing genuine authenticity but being able to be confident in how the Rolex buckles were produced ie: gold plated, gold filled, solid gold, or SS etc.

This has been a good learning experience, you all have alot of knowledge I appreciate your input.

Kevin
Old 8 November 2011, 11:12 PM   #14
tonyw64
"TRF" Member

Watch: omega speedy gold.
Icon7

high there anyone know where i can find a solid gold 16mm rolex buckle for my rolex cusion many thanks and best price thank you very much.. T.
tonyw64 is offline   Reply With Quote