The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 November 2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Eric88
"TRF" Member

The 1680 runs fast, only when I go running.

I have this awesome 1680 that was fully serviced in the last 2 months and it runs spot on barely plus or minus 2 seconds per day with regular daily wear. I started a long jogging routine every morning several weeks ago and I often wear the Sub as it is comfortable and the bezel is good for timing my miles (no fancy digital tracking for me, LOL).

What I've noticed is that after about 45 min jogs, the Sub has gained between 20-30 sec. Then it settles back into keeping accurate time. The next day, another 20-30 seconds and so forth. I've watched it enough to realize that it is my jogging activity that is causing the watch to run fast along with me. Otherwise, it keeps accurate and consistent time.

It does not bother me too much as I can jut reset if it gets too far ahead (today I am +2.5 min after the week). I'm mostly curious to understand if this is normal? A sign of something forgotten during service? Any ideas?

Thanks.
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
smallcandle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Omega PO
There have been numerous other threads on this subject and I do believe that it was explained as "normal", although it escapes me now what the technical explanation was. My suggestion in the meantime would be to not wear your vintage 1680 while running. A cheaper (read digital) watch seems more appropriate to me as a fellow runner..

Things got out of control and I had to stab a clown...
smallcandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Sorry for posting what has been discussed in numerous threads.

I do use search and had not found anything on first attempt. I looked again with broader search and found this one. Nothing conclusive, but others have seen the same thing with activity.

If you know where the others are, please share. Thanks.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...light=Accuracy

I love wearing the 1680! I figured they can withstand this activity based on their original purposes.
Old 5 November 2011, 08:39 AM   #4
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
If that watch does not have a fliplock clasp on it I wouldn't run with it Just the thought of something "letting go" on the watch and having it fly off your wrist is way to much risk in my opinion.

Never mind the fact that you know the running is affecting the watch in some way if it's running that much faster-
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2011, 11:49 AM   #5
drainaps
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many to tell
From a fellow runner, board member and owner of 2
1680s ( white and red), while you might be the coolest runner in town, sporting a 1680, just knowing that you use such a watch as your regular jogging watch almost gave me a coronary. Please do your investment a favor and spend $100 in a G- Shock or a more specific running watch ( Garmins, etc). And please do tell us when you do that. I might not be able to sleep until then. :-)
drainaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the wisdom. I get it. I think I will get myself an exercise watch. I do think the 1680 can handle it, but probably not worth the risk.
Old 6 November 2011, 12:43 PM   #7
renfield33
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II Pepsi
Thank you. I personally have the garmin 305. A little big and dorky, but very readable and functional.
Old 6 November 2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
If a Rolex movement (and presumably other movements) is shaken vigorously the amplitute can be lessened and this will speed the watch up. There is a thread on TRF which shows this as a method for adjusting a Rolex that runs slow - I personally don't recommend it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2011, 07:20 PM   #9
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I'd say stop counting seconds especially on a vintage watch. As long as your life isn't so busy every second counts (lol) don't sweat it and enjoy running in your watch! Your not hurting it as long as you trust the watchmaker who did the service. Just reset the time accordingly... Maybe set it a few minutes slow and let it catch up.

Honstly, I enjoy wearing my 5513 as much as possible so I understand you wanting to use your 1680 for your jog...
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2011, 11:10 PM   #10
lupus
"TRF" Member

I also jog with my 5513 they are bloody toolwatches...
lupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 November 2011, 11:30 PM   #11
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
If a Rolex movement (and presumably other movements) is shaken vigorously the amplitute can be lessened and this will speed the watch up. There is a thread on TRF which shows this as a method for adjusting a Rolex that runs slow - I personally don't recommend it.
Interesting, thanks for sharing Eddie.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2011, 01:29 AM   #12
Beef
"TRF" Member

I run (or what passes for it these days with my 1680 white, 5513, 1675, 1016 and 1655. I haven't had any trouble with them, BUT, in full diclosure, I don't check gains or loss of time. I do wear my bracelets fairly tight, so the watch has minimal play. I never have liked a bracelet loose enough to move much on my wrist. Thus the watch stays pretty stationary and takes no more impact than my knees. The only problem I have is the lack of date function on the 5513 and 1016. Because I run SO SLOW that you can clock me with a calendar!
Old 9 November 2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Beef
"TRF" Member

Here are my vintage "Runners," except my 1655, which is in the bank vault at this stage of the rotation. The fact that I am older than all of these makes me.....vintage, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (2).JPG (64.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg photo (3).JPG (65.6 KB, 97 views)
Old 9 November 2011, 06:17 AM   #14
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
Here are my vintage "Runners," except my 1655, which is in the bank vault at this stage of the rotation. The fact that I am older than all of these makes me.....vintage, too.
That is some great looking vintage eye candy....
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote