The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2007, 01:42 AM   #1
RyanS

Clasp centered on wrist?

Before I bought my 16610 Sub a little over a week ago, I was reading on here about proper sizing, and such. When the AD was resizing it for me, they told me that they could not remove a link from the 6 oclock side. I thought that this could be done? Anyway, the watch fits and feels okay, but I can't help but be concerned because it is not properly centered on the back of my wrist. It looks to me that there are 4 large links and one small link on the 6 side, and 5 large links on the 12 side.

How should the clasp fit on my wrist, exactly, and why would the AD say one link could not be removed from that 6 side?
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 01:52 AM   #2
Mrdi
Banned

Phoosh,

The links that can be moved have screws on the side.

Fit the watch so the dial sits on your wrist properly.
That being said, properly on your wrist is where you can read it best.
You probably lOOk at the dial during the day to tell time, not the clasp!
The little screws in the band are easily removed and adjusted from side to side
My EXP is 8 links on the 12 o:clock side and
5 on the 6 O:clock side
That allows my dial to be as close to center as I can get it.

The sub is basically the same size dial, but the bezel makes it look larger.

You can adjust (move the links from side to side) links yourself with a good screwdriver.
Make sure the driver fits the Rolex screw slot exactly, then you won't mess up the screw heads.
If I just purchased it from an AD in my neighborhood I would go there and have him adjust it untill you like it. I'd also want to watch how he removed and changed sides with the links , so you could do it later as your collection expands.

GET a good screwdriver.!!!!

Mrdi
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 02:01 AM   #3
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Wow, my memory still WORKS!!

I am sitting here at work without my "Bookmarks" and remembered that our fellow member here, "Sheldonsmith", posted an excellent article about the sizing of the Sub bracelet.

So I did a google search for "sheldonsmith" + "bracelet":

SIZING OF SUB BRACELET. CLICK TO READ!

I hope it helps!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 04:52 AM   #4
kungpow
2024 Pledge Member

It sounds like you have a smaller wrist, as do I, and unfortunately the watch will not size quite as well for us.

I have tried the article above, but it was pointless for me. And directions on how to size it don't get at the issue either.

I believe the sizing issue is, as you mentioned, not being able to remove a link from the 6 o'clock side. As far as I know, you can't. The only removable link on that side is the half link, but it's attached to the clasp. If you remove it, I don't think there is another way of attaching the clasp assembly. Further more, you can't just move it down a peg from this side either as it doesn't allow the clasp to function.

Since there are no other links with screws, the bracelet can not be shortened from the 6 o'clock side, only lengthened

If anyone has effectively shortened the bracelet from the 6 o'clock side, I'm all ears
kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 05:11 AM   #5
txrob779

My AD did the opposite. They added one link to fit my 8" wrist however, the clasp is still centered.
txrob779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 06:06 AM   #6
chris_nor_cal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpow View Post
It sounds like you have a smaller wrist, as do I, and unfortunately the watch will not size quite as well for us.

I have tried the article above, but it was pointless for me. And directions on how to size it don't get at the issue either.

I believe the sizing issue is, as you mentioned, not being able to remove a link from the 6 o'clock side. As far as I know, you can't. The only removable link on that side is the half link, but it's attached to the clasp. If you remove it, I don't think there is another way of attaching the clasp assembly. Further more, you can't just move it down a peg from this side either as it doesn't allow the clasp to function.

Since there are no other links with screws, the bracelet can not be shortened from the 6 o'clock side, only lengthened

If anyone has effectively shortened the bracelet from the 6 o'clock side, I'm all ears
I've dealt with this same issue. RSC Beverly Hills will remove the half link, cut the clasp and resolder it to remove that link for you. They even said they would do it for free because the watch is under warranty.
Old 11 September 2007, 10:06 AM   #7
daunwaun
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18K YG Day Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanS View Post
Before I bought my 16610 Sub a little over a week ago, I was reading on here about proper sizing, and such. When the AD was resizing it for me, they told me that they could not remove a link from the 6 oclock side. I thought that this could be done? Anyway, the watch fits and feels okay, but I can't help but be concerned because it is not properly centered on the back of my wrist. It looks to me that there are 4 large links and one small link on the 6 side, and 5 large links on the 12 side.

How should the clasp fit on my wrist, exactly, and why would the AD say one link could not be removed from that 6 side?
clasp must be centered
Old 11 September 2007, 11:53 AM   #8
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
If you have smaller wrist or a different shaped wrist you may need to have one additional FIXED link cut off/removed from the 6 oclock side in order to center the bracelet.

The Hour Glass Chain of ADs in KL, Malaysia does this free for their customers, and is very common there, due to many smaller size Asian wrist. They have a special cutting machine to remove the links. Takes about 10 minutes. Had them do to a SD and an Epxlorer II I had for the option, then replaced with an additional link with screws, so I would have the option or not. Ended up not needing it. But a Thai friend I sold the SD to, did need to take out the extra link at 6 oclock side so the clasp would center. That is one reason he wanted to buy my SD and paid me what I paid for it, due to the less one fixed link on 6 oclock side. Worked out perfect for him!

I am sure there are Watchmakers or ADs or RSC in the USA who can do the same.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 02:17 PM   #9
binkie
"TRF" Member

Have your tried reversing the bracelet, that is taking it off, and then turning it around so that the side that was attached to the 6 o'clock side is now at the 12 o'clock side? You can first test if this fits better by taking off your watch and wearing it upside down, with the crown facing away from your hand.

I did this on my SD and it felt better, and the clasp was more centered.

But for my GMT black/red, 5 links on the 6 o'clock side fits just right. Weird. I think its the top heaviness of the SD that makes you feel that the clasp is not centered, since the watch seems to flop around. Wonder if the Sub date's 4 1/2 links will fit better.
Old 11 September 2007, 05:50 PM   #10
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Strange! I have NEVER had that "uncentered clasp" issue.

The SD I bought recently I just put on my wrist right away at the AD without adjusting ANYTHING, and it sits snug but not too snug on my wrist, and the clasp is perfectly centered:

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 11:10 PM   #11
RyanS

Thanks for the replies. Next time I am able to stop by my AD, I will ask the rep what he thinks. As I said, the watch "seems" to fit perfect, but it doesn't seem like the clasp looks right. I am thinking that if the clasp is right, the watch will fit even better!

Thanks again for the advice
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote