The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 May 2012, 11:49 PM   #1
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
Looking for some opinions for my next watch

Greetings all! I'm new to TRF and after reading numerous posts, I think you all might be able to make some recommendations on my next watch because there are simply too many options out there and it's driving me insane.

Some details to help guide your recommendation:

I have a puny 7" wrist, so anything larger than 42mm is probably going to look a bit silly on my wrist. Around 40mm would probably look the best, but would go to 42mm if needed.

I'm looking to spend around $4000, but would push it up a bit more for the right watch.

I currently have three watches: an 18k Rolex datejust, a Tag Heuer Monza (first nice watch), and a Longines Heritage column wheel. So timeless designs appeal to me more than some of the more trendy looks.

I've been looking at watches like the Planet Ocean (42mm version), Aqua Terra, Broad Arrow; IWC; maybe Breitling as long as it's not too gaudy.

Chronograph isn't a must, but I am a fan of a sub-dial or two.

Oh, gotta be an automatic (of course).

Any brands I'm not thinking of?? JLC in my price range?

I'm open to pre-owned but obviously want the box and all the paperwork.

Thanks for the help.
GermanyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2012, 01:07 AM   #2
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
JLC has great models and pretty bad resale value, which will work for you if you get it second hand. Check out the Reverso and Master Control series. Good luck
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2012, 01:32 AM   #3
mltworldwide
2024 Pledge Member

The IWC Aquatimer would be good for you. 44mm. The PO as you mention. Also look at the new Omega SMP with ceramic bezel.
mltworldwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Not much of a fan of the tank watch style, but the IWC aquatimer and pilot are on my short list. Which has the better movement between those two and the PO with the new 8500?
Old 7 May 2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMatt View Post

Oh, gotta be an automatic (of course).
And with that you rule out the iconic Omega Speedmaster.

You should reconsider since handwinding a watch is one of life's simple pleasure.

The last two watches I've purchased, a Stowa and a Hanhart, are hand crankers (and German!).
Old 7 May 2012, 01:09 PM   #6
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Not much of a fan of the tank watch style, but the IWC aquatimer and pilot are on my short list. Which has the better movement between those two and the PO with the new 8500?
PO 8500 has a better movement. it winds so smoothly has more power reserve and is very well built.

i would rate this higher than IWC. but pilots chrono has its own appeal.

the price is what separates these 2. you can get the iwc pilot at a very cheap price preowned.

i would still go with the PO is for all around yet there is still some bling.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2012, 11:50 PM   #7
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
If you want a sporty, 42mmm classic, you can't go wrong with a use Speedy Pro, and you can probably find a nice one for $2,500. If you prefer less sporty models, Maurice Lacroix has some very unusual models that can be had a good prices, pre-owned. For a brand with a lot more heritage, there a plenty of used GP chrono's out there.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2012, 12:02 AM   #8
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The IWC 42mm sports watches are great.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2012, 02:11 AM   #9
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input guys; the IWC is really tempting, but so is the new PO with the 8500 movement. The latter of the two are tough to find right now with much of a discount, but the IWC seems to have some discounts as everyone is chopping at the bit for the new in-house movement on the Spitfire model (although will probably MSRP for $10k)

What's up with Tag Heuer being discounted so much across the board? I pulled out my 8 year old Monza last night that I haven't worn in probably a year. Gave the crown about 20 turns and it's currently running at +2 sec/day. Yes, I am shocked. Mine is the first model too, not the calibre 36 movement.

Thoughts on the Speedy Broad Arrow?
Old 9 May 2012, 12:41 AM   #10
ghaddar
"TRF" Member

Take a look at Zenith el primero models, they got hisory nice looks and within your price range
ghaddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2012, 01:05 AM   #11
wokafu
"TRF" Member

Watch: SM300+14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcbbrown View Post
If you want a sporty, 42mmm classic, you can't go wrong with a use Speedy Pro, and you can probably find a nice one for $2,500. If you prefer less sporty models, Maurice Lacroix has some very unusual models that can be had a good prices, pre-owned. For a brand with a lot more heritage, there a plenty of used GP chrono's out there.
x2
wokafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2012, 01:39 AM   #12
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
I highly recommend a chopard Mille miglia, it's a very under rated brand. Huge bang for your buck. Plus it's uniqe and will fit within your budget. Check it out.
Old 9 May 2012, 03:16 AM   #13
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
I would pick the PO 8500 Aquaterra 8500 or a 42mm IWC. The omega 8500 mvt is so awesome. Best bang for the buck IMO. I'm really liking IWC too. Any would be a great watch that will last decades.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2012, 03:22 AM   #14
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I would pick the PO 8500 Aquaterra 8500 or a 42mm IWC. The omega 8500 mvt is so awesome. Best bang for the buck IMO. I'm really liking IWC too. Any would be a great watch that will last decades.
This is really where I'm at right now.. I know they all look very different, but I like them for different reasons.

I really like the IWC Portuguese, but I'm finding it to be a bit on the pricey side for what's under the hood (I'm talking 3714).. Is a new model due soon? If I snag a 3714, it's going to be pre-owned most likely.

I'm sort of digging the Tag Grand Carrera 36, but I'm worried about the Tag holding it's value. Damn good movement, and a sharp watch, but the value does worry me, as I'm sure I will eventually sell it and move to something else. *edit* - bleh, nevermind. It's not doing anything for me and there are other watches I like more for equivalent $$.

I looked at a few Chopard models, but they're just not doing it for me either, or the ones that do are $10K+, and at that point I would just pick up a 18K/SS Rolex Sub and be done with it.
Old 10 May 2012, 03:24 AM   #15
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

I'm on an 11 night Mediterranean cruise, departing in about ten days, so I plan to check out the makes/models on the ship (Celebrity) and in Turkey. Hopefully I'll snag a good deal.
Old 10 May 2012, 10:23 AM   #16
rossi46
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaddar View Post
Take a look at Zenith el primero models, they got hisory nice looks and within your price range
You beat me to it. This is a beauty!

Old 10 May 2012, 05:22 PM   #17
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

That is a fine looking piece and I've been looking at Zenith too.

If I can't find something on this cruise, I'll be hitting up the TRF FS section!
Old 3 June 2012, 06:37 AM   #18
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Thought I'd update everyone..

Just returned from a relaxing 11 night cruise in the Eastern Med - one of our stops was the island of Santorini and I fell hard for a NIB Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic (black on stainless) from an AD. Really happy and it looks great on the wrist. I'll post up a pic or two later this weekend.
Old 3 June 2012, 07:46 AM   #19
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:

Just returned from a relaxing 11 night cruise in the Eastern Med - one of our stops was the island of Santorini and I fell hard for a NIB Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic (black on stainless) from an AD. Really happy and it looks great on the wrist. I'll post up a pic or two later this weekend.
Congrats! 116710 is a great reference.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2012, 08:14 AM   #20
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:

Great Choice, Congrats.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2012, 01:57 PM   #21
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:

so out of all your choices. you ended up with a solid choice. cant go wrong with that. congrats!
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote