The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 July 2012, 05:50 AM   #61
omegabenz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV, o2531.80
He seems like a good "kid". If he likes the Patek then go for it. Seems a little refined for his age, but that is ok. I was like that when I was that age. I was tired of watches always breaking, so I bought an omega at 17. Still have it. Rolex may be a target, but not a Patek.
omegabenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2012, 07:43 PM   #62
damiand
"TRF" Member

If he has and appreciation for fine watches and he seems to really like Patek, go for it! You know he is going to treasure it.
He is a lucky guy to have such a great dad.
damiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2012, 02:40 AM   #63
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I think it's just fine! I don't think anyone will really notice he's wearing a Patek.
Old 4 July 2012, 06:31 PM   #64
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
I understand the fact that a gift may not make the young man feel the same way. However, I must say I do not fully agree with you when you say that such gifts may be bad (in a certain way)
I'm speaking from experience. I know a really great kid, super-smart, and was recently given a Platinum DD as a college graduation present. He loves watches, and really appreciated it (I mean as much as you can appreciate a gift). But he's out of school for 3 years now, and never worked a day in his life. There's no motivation there. His dad helped him buy a couple rental properties, and he lives off that income. He's got no challenges to overcome in life, so he's content with the mediocrity that he can comfortably slide into. It's so sad to see. Such a smart kid, too.

I know so many people like this. Mostly trust-fund kids who don't understand the satisfaction of work / reward, and wind up living off what they were given instead of blazing trails of their own. That's not to say there aren't exceptions. But the rule is evident. If you love your kids, challenge them. Make them do for themselves. It's tempting to want to give them the world, but in my observation, that seems to be the easiest way to ensure they are complacent with mediocrity.

Quote:
In the end, leaving it as an estate or giving it to him for a very special occasion (should it be a graduation, a wedding or something like that) would be a wonderful idea indeed but I do believe that the gift itself, no matter the reason for it, would be wonderful as well.
I'm totally down with the concept of a sizeable wedding gift or estate - those typically come later in life, after someone has had the opportunity to earn a living for himself, and has really learned all the lessons a parent can teach him. Even graduation is too young, though, in my opinion.
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2012, 01:05 AM   #65
jhupp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by transio View Post
I'm speaking from experience. I know a really great kid, super-smart, and was recently given a Platinum DD as a college graduation present. He loves watches, and really appreciated it (I mean as much as you can appreciate a gift). But he's out of school for 3 years now, and never worked a day in his life. There's no motivation there. His dad helped him buy a couple rental properties, and he lives off that income. He's got no challenges to overcome in life, so he's content with the mediocrity that he can comfortably slide into. It's so sad to see. Such a smart kid, too.

I know so many people like this. Mostly trust-fund kids who don't understand the satisfaction of work / reward, and wind up living off what they were given instead of blazing trails of their own. That's not to say there aren't exceptions. But the rule is evident. If you love your kids, challenge them. Make them do for themselves. It's tempting to want to give them the world, but in my observation, that seems to be the easiest way to ensure they are complacent with mediocrity.

I'm totally down with the concept of a sizeable wedding gift or estate - those typically come later in life, after someone has had the opportunity to earn a living for himself, and has really learned all the lessons a parent can teach him. Even graduation is too young, though, in my opinion.
I half way agree with you on this. I loved the fact that I bought both of my watches myself, has come to make me appreciate them even more. My parents are both very well off. My dad however, is totally unmaterialistic. Don't get me wrong he is a great guy loves spending time with our family, hiking, camping, etc. I couldn;t ask for a better father. But it bugs me a little bit that I will not have anything, material anyway, to remember him by when he is gone. I don't think he has ever bought me a gift. (Don't worry my mom is just the opposite and has bought plenty.) As both he and I get older I really wish he would have bought me a watch, even if it was inexpensive or at least something that I could physically look at and say "yep that was from my father". I don't have that and he has very few material items at all so I doubt very much that anything will pass to me.

I hope I don't sound conceited or materialistic. Believe me, if he bought me even a G-Shock I think that would fill the void here. Although a Rolex (or Patek) is built to last a lifetime and is something I could pass down to children of my own someday.

That being said I was not ready for a Patek at 19. I still don't think I am and I'm 26.
jhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2012, 01:08 AM   #66
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:

Sounds quite good to me, I'm sorry to read about that kid and I hope he uses his intelligence and his abilities to give himself a bit of challenge and goals in the years to come.

Now, since we're in the subject, would you like to come to my wedding? I have a list of watches I'd like to own and...you know...
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2012, 06:10 AM   #67
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Working on Park Ave in NYC, I see young 20 somethings that walk with their gray suits, white shirts and lime green ties --- they think that they have "the look" - and I just can't help but think that they have been sheltered and wouldn't know what to do if dropped in a challenging neighborhood at 2 am!

My motto is that parents of means should give their children the best eduction - school and street smarts.

One without the other will make it very hard to function in life! Street smarts is primary. Any book nerd can work for someone - it takes a much more instinctual intelligent to truly succeed.

A lot of my success is due to street smarts coupled with book smarts - my child has and will always have the opportunity to observe success but taste it on his own 1st.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2012, 06:13 AM   #68
BmwA5H
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16618
No way! I had an appreciation for Rolex watches since I was 15 :) my first was at 15 and now i've saved and bought another(19 now lol).. IMO age shouldn't be a factor if he or she has an appreciation for these beautiful pieces, whether Rolex or PP. Sometimes I'm so caught up with the beauty of these amazing watches I forget they are just that! watches!

Good luck to him and Im sure he'll love the PP

BmwA5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2012, 12:12 PM   #69
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Quote:
Now, since we're in the subject, would you like to come to my wedding? I have a list of watches I'd like to own and...you know...
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2012, 09:25 AM   #70
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
I would go for a vintage Omega Seamaster DeVille or Connie.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2012, 03:53 PM   #71
PatekCollector
"TRF" Member

Why don't you start with sporty Rolex (Sub or GMT)?.

Gr8 Father :-)

Instagram: @PatekCollector
PatekCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2012, 11:22 PM   #72
herbie911
"TRF" Member

If I am 19, I wouldn't go for a Patek even if my dad is going to buy me one. However, if I have to pick one for my 18s/19s birthday, I will go for the rubber strap Aquanaut. I think AP ROO is also a good option for rich teenagers.
I think Patek is a brand that takes time for a watch enthusiast to appreciate. I will go for Rolexes first before making your first step to your first Patek in your thrties, you will appreciate a Patek watch even more!
herbie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 01:18 AM   #73
vpr80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newportkrieger View Post
My personal opinion is that giving him a watch that valuable will only make him a target for theft, possibly violently. his friends and freinds of friends WILL know of the watch and its value. Its only a matter of time before a desperate young person tries to take it.

19 year olds travel in different circles and places than people 30 and older. Giving your son a watch like that to wear on a regular basis may very well compromise his physical safety in a violent robbery and his mental well being with the guilt he may have should it be lost or stolen.
I whole-heatedly agree with this comment. It's not appropriate for a 19 yr old. Time will come for him to enjoy a Patek, not at 19.
vpr80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2012, 04:17 PM   #74
YbNvS

Watch: 11610LN & 5119J
Poor kid... this is one of those "what could have been" moments...

Age should not be a factor when it comes to passion, if you instill in them apperication for the fine things, it will only grow stronger later on. As a young collector (with 2 watches only) I think this is more about trust than a watch, if you trust your son with your car or anything of equal value... then how is that any different? I think it will mean alot to your son because what you give him is not a watch but rather acceptance that he is now a man and you trust him to look after it responsibly.
YbNvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 12:19 PM   #75
AmbSteve
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx,Omega,JLC,Breg
As amazing as it would be to be gifted any luxury watch, IMHO there are a lot of factors like age, etc that do come into play with these holy trinity pieces...just like I don't believe these should be someone's "first" watch. Maybe it's a bit idealistic, but when you're wearing a piece like this there is a lot of history with it...and the same should be with you. If you don't have firsthand knowledge of other pieces (perhaps an Omega Speedy, Rolex, JLC, etc) then the art may be diminished. At 19 what has he accomplished or experienced that would merit the honor of the PP?
AmbSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2012, 10:39 PM   #76
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbSteve View Post
As amazing as it would be to be gifted any luxury watch, IMHO there are a lot of factors like age, etc that do come into play with these holy trinity pieces...just like I don't believe these should be someone's "first" watch. Maybe it's a bit idealistic, but when you're wearing a piece like this there is a lot of history with it...and the same should be with you. If you don't have firsthand knowledge of other pieces (perhaps an Omega Speedy, Rolex, JLC, etc) then the art may be diminished. At 19 what has he accomplished or experienced that would merit the honor of the PP?
Mysleft not included, but there were and are many accomplished 19 year olds, although I do agree, wait at least until 20
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2012, 12:35 AM   #77
Ed Rooney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 16600
One thing that always comes to mind with these "how old should one be..." threads is is that all I remember from that age is stuff getting stolen from dorm rooms or left over at a girlfriend's place never to be seen again.

Very few dress watches are as classy as a 1960's vintage Omega Seamaster or Connie. You can get a Seamaster and have it serviced, plus buy a nice Seiko diver AND a g-shock all for under $1000. Those watches will cover all the bases until the kid settles down later on.
Ed Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2012, 01:04 AM   #78
vintagewaferthin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air-King 5500
Wow a patek! Heres what I say, if your son is responsible enough to handle owning such a fine watch like that then I see nothing wrong with it. You are the only one who knows if your son can handle owning a patek or not, and nobody else.
vintagewaferthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2012, 05:43 AM   #79
Tijssan
"TRF" Member

Watch: this...
Quote:

Amen!
Tijssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 03:04 AM   #80
descartes
"TRF" Member

19 is too young IMO unless is bequeathed.

What do you have to look forward to if Daddy just rights a writes a check for it? It's something really special that should be "earned."
descartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 03:19 AM   #81
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
He'll be asking for a 5270 for his 21st if you do a Gondolo for his 19th lol
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2012, 07:21 AM   #82
Stuxnet
Banned

He is your son. You know him. We don't. Are you buying him a new watch (PP or Rolex) or giving him one of your own? I do feel there is a difference. Buying him something new may set the wrong precedent. I want, I ask, I get. Even if you can easily afford it, which you can. After all this is a Patek Philippe forum and most people own several. Giving him something you own may be a coming of age thing. A way for you to tacitly tell him that he is mature and responsible enough to treat with reverence something precious to you. Or by which to remember you.

I own several Rolex watches and 2 Pateks. My children are young but I hope they appreciate watches as much as I do and I can't wait to give them my collection. My wife disagrees about when, 18 being to young in her books.

I don't think there is a right answer that we could give you. Talk to your son. If he LOVES watches and knows them by their reference numbers and cal then perhaps the Patek would be a great start. If watches are cool, then go with Rolex.

As a father, you could be doing a lot worse. You could be buying him a motorcycle.

Whatever you give him, keep us posted.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2012, 11:22 PM   #83
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
I think it's fine based on how you've described your son. As long as he appreciates and respects the quality of the watch, I don't see a problem.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote