The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2013, 03:56 AM   #1
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Omega Beginner

Hello all,

I am new to this forum as well as the world watches.

A brief introduction of myself - I am a recent college graduate currently working in healthcare in a non-clinical department office setting. The first watch I ever owned was a Tag Heuer Series 6000, I don't remember the model offhand but it had a green face with a stainless steel case/bracelet with gold accent. I purchased it from someone at work for $350. It was definitely legit, had all the papers, etc.. I kept it for several months, got impatient and sold it for $550 on eBay. A part of me has regretted that decision since I really loved how it fit. With the money I made from that, I bought another watch of which I can't say because it would be an embarrassment to these forums. Anyway, that watch barely lasted a month before I dropped it and it broke. I am now watchless. A little more about me - I am a tall guy standing at 6 foot 8 and the Tag resembled a woman's watch on my wrist, hence another reason why I sold it.

So now I have landed here with the help of a friend who currently used these forums.

I've decided to move away from Tag and enter the world of Omega. IMO, they appear to be solid made watches with fantastic design for a reasonable cost in the secondary market.

Besides what I've read on the Internet from reviews, I'd like to ask you for opinions and information. Omega appears to be around the same price point as some of the top model Tags, what makes them a better choice? Also, which model Omega would you suggest to purchase for a first one? Any other thoughts are welcome, specific Omega questions will come along as I continue to learn.

Again, I am looking to buy on the secondary market as I do not have a ton of money to spend. Thank you college loans. I really like either the sea or speed master, really narrowed it down there lol.

Thanks
Mike
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Welcome to TRF. Omega is a great choice.

What is your budget?

For around $2K you should be able to get a nice used 2254 SMP or a 3570 Speedmaster.
Both are around 42mm and I wouldn't go smaller. There are also some nice Planet Ocean watches if you want to go bigger at 45mm, but that might be closer to $2500+.

I recommend getting in touch with some Trusted Sellers from our For Sale section who could help you out. Good luck with your search.
Maxtor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 10:58 AM   #3
SUBversive
Banned

Watch: Sun Dial
Omega is a great choice. I'd recommend the speedmaster professional. And it's worth a look. Read up on the history of the watch and a pre owned one in great condition is easy to find at a reasonable price. Good luck. Lets us know what you get.
SUBversive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2013, 11:07 AM   #4
AzPaul

Watch: Rolex 1501
Mike,

If I may be so bold . . . . . Don't be so concerned about the brand. Omegas are world class, there's no doubt about it but if you really want to be happy with your choice, take your time, look at a lot of watches from a lot of different companies and wait for one to speak to you. The right watch will let you know. They really do talk to you. Then at that point, start doing some research and find out whether it's of the quality and price you seek. If nothing else, it'll help you understand what it is about a watch that really appeals to you. It's not the same for everyone.

My worry is, if you're only looking at Omegas, you may never see the watch that's right for you at this point in your life.

And yes, that changes too.

Good luck.
Old 21 January 2013, 01:33 AM   #5
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Omega is a great place to get started. Seamasters can be had well within your budget and will stand up tall. Start browsing the sales section around here and see what you come up with.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
Old 21 January 2013, 01:39 AM   #6
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Thanks for the responses ...

@azpaul - I hear what you're saying.. I have browsed a lot of different brands and haven't had a "feeling" for them the same way when I look at omegas.

Montblanc - time walker - nice but eh
Raymond Weil - free lancer
Tag - Carrera lines, link.
I've been browsing watches for quite sometime now waiting till I was able to afford one.

I'd say my budget is around $1500 and if that's too low ill postpone a purchase to save a few more bucks. I did notice a nice speed master for $1200 on the "for sale" section but it looks like a 39mm model.

I'll def keep looking but I'm glad to have found this resource.
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote