The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2013, 06:06 PM   #31
MonBK
Banned

I'm curious to see what book that is?

Can you post a pic of the front cover please?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2013, 06:26 PM   #32
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkhalaf View Post
hey everyone ! just wanted to note that I was reading my rolex manual (which I bought early 2012) it says wind the watch 20 turns when it is on full stop .. and NOT 30-40 as many posts say

plz feel free to add in your comments :D

Well, it seems there is no confusion or conflict of information. The booklet clearly says 20 turns is a partial wind, and it also doesn't say you can't wind it further. It seems common knowledge around here that 40 turns or so is a full wind and that you can't over-wind a modern Rolex.

So what's the problem?
Old 31 March 2013, 06:33 PM   #33
wkhalaf

Watch: DJ II
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I'm curious to see what book that is?

Can you post a pic of the front cover please?

It's the Rolex (inside the box) manual .. I think it is a green cover with Rolex logo .. will try to take a photo and post it around. You cant imagine how much effort that is .. going home opening the safe taking a pic .. emailing the photo to my self and posting it through a desktop computer lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Well, it seems there is no confusion or conflict of information. The booklet clearly says 20 turns is a partial wind, and it also doesn't say you can't wind it further. It seems common knowledge around here that 40 turns or so is a full wind and that you can't over-wind a modern Rolex.

So what's the problem?
It's just a subject and a discussion .. no problem at all.

I never read around the forum the 20 winds thing .. so it's something new that i wanted to share and inquire about at the same time :) Thanks for dropping by
wkhalaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2013, 06:39 PM   #34
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's just a subject and a discussion .. no problem at all.

I never read around the forum the 20 winds thing .. so it's something new that i wanted to share and inquire about at the same time :) Thanks for dropping by
I think the 20 wind thing is probably in the manual because some units may take up to 20 winds to start ticking.
Old 31 March 2013, 06:56 PM   #35
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
It's the Rolex (inside the box) manual .. I think it is a green cover with Rolex logo .. will try to take a photo and post it around. You cant imagine how much effort that is .. going home opening the safe taking a pic .. emailing the photo to my self and posting it through a desktop computer lol

Wouldn't want you to through all that trouble.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:30 PM   #36
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Agreed :)

I noticed it this morning as well .. but why would Rolex say "20" for a partial wind and not mention the limit for a full wind ?

Why is it 20? why not say 40 for full wind ? or 10 for partial wind? or mention both full and partial?

so 20 is sufficient?
It would make no difference if you wound it 10,20,30,but none of these would give the mainspring full power reserve but it most cases start the movement.On all the Rolex line a full mainspring wind is 40 full crown turns clockwise except the chronograph range.Now on watches like the Daytona you need 60 full crown turns to fully wind the watch it has a longer spring and larger spring barrel hence its power reserve is around 72 hours.Now while the watch is on the wrist and as long as the wrist is moving its constantly winding with the gravity of the winding rotor pendulum.Now when the mainspring is fully wound a mechanism in the mainspring barrel slips so you cannot over-wind the mainspring.You could wind it by the crown a 100 turns with no harm whatsoever unless perhaps to your fingers.And while wearing in most cases you just top up to whatever the mainspring had in its power reserve to start with.Now if on say a desk job where the wrist is mostly static then its doubtful if you will top up the power reserve to whatever was in the mainspring to start with.This is why on some occasions watches could stop overnight simply because the power reserve has run down.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2013, 10:00 PM   #37
wkhalaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
I think the 20 wind thing is probably in the manual because some units may take up to 20 winds to start ticking.
Yep .. I agree

Quote:
Wouldn't want you to through all that trouble.
Hahahaha I'll do it for you man .. it's ok ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
It would make no difference if you wound it 10,20,30,but none of these would give the mainspring full power reserve but it most cases start the movement.On all the Rolex line a full mainspring wind is 40 full crown turns clockwise except the chronograph range.Now on watches like the Daytona you need 60 full crown turns to fully wind the watch it has a longer spring and larger spring barrel hence its power reserve is around 72 hours.Now while the watch is on the wrist and as long as the wrist is moving its constantly winding with the gravity of the winding rotor pendulum.Now when the mainspring is fully wound a mechanism in the mainspring barrel slips so you cannot over-wind the mainspring.You could wind it by the crown a 100 turns with no harm whatsoever unless perhaps to your fingers.And while wearing in most cases you just top up to whatever the mainspring had in its power reserve to start with.Now if on say a desk job where the wrist is mostly static then its doubtful if you will top up the power reserve to whatever was in the mainspring to start with.This is why on some occasions watches could stop overnight simply because the power reserve has run down.
Wow .. thanks for the comprehensive analysis .. much appreciated and well written :)
Old 1 April 2013, 12:21 AM   #38
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Yep ..

Hahahaha I'll do it for you man .. it's ok ..

It's Mon, not man.
Old 1 April 2013, 12:45 AM   #39
Rolex-10
Banned

Icon20

Wow. Learn something new every day!

Even stumped Padi!
I quess we all learn something new even with 30k posts. Lol.
Although I do admit to not reading all of his posts sorry Padi.
Quite hard to read sometimes.
Rolex-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 01:00 AM   #40
Rich2putt
"TRF" Member

Watch: TOG, Exp ll white
20, 30, 40 50, times. Does it really matter?
Old 1 April 2013, 06:38 PM   #41
wkhalaf

Quote:
It's Mon, not man.
hi again Mon (not Man) :p

Here is a photo of the instructions manual

Old 1 April 2013, 06:51 PM   #42
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
hi again Mon (not Man) :p

Here is a photo of the instructions manual

Thank you.
Old 1 April 2013, 11:34 PM   #43
Griffi
"TRF" Member

Guys!
Let's agree on 30, how about that?
:)
Griffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2013, 12:30 AM   #44
Grey.Coupe
"TRF" Member

I have heard repeatedly that the design of Rolex's automatic movements let rotor or crown winding slip once a full wind is achieved.

My rule is to wind once for each year of age. That way, as I slow down, my watches will get an extra boost...
Grey.Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
booklet , crown , manual , wind , winding