The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 1 March 2014, 08:23 AM   #1
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Ref 1674 Acrylic Crystal - how is it secured?

Hi All,

I have owned and used my 1675 Pepsi GMT Master as my daily watch for 47 years since I bought it new in 1967. In all those years I haven't attempted to do anything to the watch, always leaving servicing or adjustment to Rolex approved technicians.

Following the latest service there have been some problems, which I have raised in other threads. One particular concern has been the bezel, which I found was very 'loose', rotating just by the friction of my shirt cuff. The workshop (Rolex approved) said that this was normal but I knew differently, of course - having worn the piece for 47 years (I sometimes wonder what some of these workshops are thinking - they must think we're stupid!).

Anyway, by way of the forum I found that removal of the bezel is quite simple, so I decided to have a go to bend up the circular spring, to tighten up the bezel. I have done this and it is now back to its usual tension - no longer rotating at the slightest touch.

When I was trying to remove the bezel initially, however, the whole bezel assembly came off the watch. It wasn't a springing 'ping' with only the bezel and spring popping off, but more of a smooth release as what looked like the bezel foundation ring - which felt like an interference fit - came off the watch with the bezel attached to it. I pressed the whole assembly back on to the watch and then tried again and this time only the bezel separated properly, enabling me to adjust the spring.

My question is - although everything now seems fine, will I have in any way compromised the water-resistance of the watch? And - just out of interest - how is the acrylic crystal sealed on the watch? I've got an old crystal from a previous service and it doesn't seem to have much of a sealing 'lip' - how is it retained and secured?

I hope all this makes sense - any information or advice will be appreciated.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 08:42 AM   #2
lance5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 TT DateJust
man, can't help with your question but great work wearing your GMT since '67!
lance5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2014, 10:31 AM   #3
shofzr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 218235 BronzeWaves
Ref 1674 Acrylic Crystal - how is it secured?

The ring that was left on the case when you removed the rotating bezel is what holds the crystal to the case and squeezes the crystal creating a pressure proof seal.

If you were able to remove and reinstall the crystal retaining ring by hand then it is too loose, it should require a press.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
Speedmaster 125
shofzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2014, 03:31 AM   #4
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
Thanks for your responses, guys. The bezel came off nicely the second time and their was no hint of movement of the crystal retaining ring on that occasion. As it is now assembled and seems to be working fine I think I will just leave it and see how it goes - it has passed the water-resistance tests so hopefully it's ok.

Thanks again,
Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote