The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 29 February 2008, 03:05 PM   #1
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Does Rolex SA Corp monitor eBay?

Just curious as to thoughts here. I wonder if they have filed with eBay VERO? There are way too many fakes that show up and sit there til the end of auction. I report the ones I see all the time and eBay rarely does anything at their end. If Rolex pressed it they could probably keep the site very clean.

Thoughts?

K4S
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2008, 04:24 PM   #2
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

I've heard that rolex is spending tons of money so that they can fight against fake watches. I guess that they should be monitoring ebay

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 February 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
jac67
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Rolex has been trying to stop the sale of Rolexes on ebay for a while now.

I read somewhere that in some country (can't remember) Rolex has taken ebay to court, and had won.

Also, some people who have been selling Rolex "dealer" display items (mirrors etc), have had their auctions cancelled by ebay due to Rolex putting pressure for copyright infringement.

John.
jac67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 12:20 AM   #4
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post

I read somewhere that in some country (can't remember) Rolex has taken ebay to court, and had won.

Also, some people who have been selling Rolex "dealer" display items (mirrors etc), have had their auctions cancelled by ebay due to Rolex putting pressure for copyright infringement.

John.
Interesting info

Old 1 March 2008, 12:28 AM   #5
Markg
"TRF" Member

Watch: R
Quote:

John.
my AD told me that he doesnt "own" the rolex branded display items, including clocks, display pads etc. They are 'loaned' by rolex to the AD's so they can control the branded materials.

IF true, that would make any of those items listed on ebay stolen property, and easy to get both a cancellation of the auction and a search warrant/arrest warrant for selling stolen property. havent heard of that as of yet, at least not in the US. Perhaps they didnt always do that and cant tell "their" material from material they previously sold to older dealers?

there must be some reason they dont just shut it down.
Markg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 12:59 AM   #6
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markg View Post
my AD told me that he doesnt "own" the rolex branded display items, including clocks, display pads etc. They are 'loaned' by rolex to the AD's so they can control the branded materials.

IF true, that would make any of those items listed on ebay stolen property, and easy to get both a cancellation of the auction and a search warrant/arrest warrant for selling stolen property. havent heard of that as of yet, at least not in the US. Perhaps they didnt always do that and cant tell "their" material from material they previously sold to older dealers?

there must be some reason they dont just shut it down.
I've heard exactly the same thing from AD's here. They told me that rolex lends them the material inside the shop and that if for example somebody shuts down his shop he has to return them back

Old 1 March 2008, 05:45 AM   #7
kings4sap
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Personally, I am cool with the restriction of Rolex branded dealer items. I might be o.k. with not allowing watches to be listed as new. It always makes me wonder why there are so many grey "new" watches always listed on ebay. How the heck to they get their hands on so many unless they have major dealer pipelines. Can you imagine if Rolex did something to cut the flow of new watches to grey dealers (i.e. pulled an AD's license if the got caught). Anyway, my hope is that they will simply leverage ebay to yank anything that remotely looks like a fake.

K4S
kings4sap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 05:52 AM   #8
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Rolex stopping the sale of genuine Rolex watches on Ebay?

I don't think so, unless they buy Ebay first.

They should put a bit more effort into stopping the fakes being sold on Ebay and CQout
Old 1 March 2008, 05:59 AM   #9
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
I do know that they monitor sales on eBay, specifically to check if AD's are using it to sell new watches.
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 08:31 AM   #10
cmr
"TRF" Member

if they do monitor ebay they are fully aware their ad's are back dooring the ss daytonas instead of selling them to their customers. that should prove to them without a shadow of a doubt their dealer network doesn't care about their customer base at all. they are totally ignoring it.

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2008, 11:22 AM   #11
jac67
"TRF" Member

AD told me that "display" stands etc. are either to be destroyed by the AD (yeah.....right!) or returned back to Rolex.

John.
Old 5 March 2008, 10:38 AM   #12
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
very interesting,and yes-I have heard that rolex lawyers have taken several people to court who have been caught selling numerous fake rolex watches under different account names.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2008, 10:43 AM   #13
krism06

Quote:

John.
John,

The country was Germany and had the Rolex suit will have limited effect on eBay. However, there are other suits in France (LV) and the US (Tiffany). The risk disclosed in the 10K are pretty interesting this year. There is another thread with an internet article if you don't want to look up the 10K. It is called troubled waters for ebay. I would put a link, but I don't know how.
krism06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2008, 10:53 AM   #14
cmr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krism06 View Post
John,

The country was Germany and had the Rolex suit will have limited effect on eBay. However, there are other suits in France (LV) and the US (Tiffany). The risk disclosed in the 10K are pretty interesting this year. There is another thread with an internet article if you don't want to look up the 10K. It is called troubled waters for ebay. I would put a link, but I don't know how.
highlite your link and right click, select copy. then in your post here right click and select paste, wha-la!!! there it is!!!

OA-Black dial SS Daytona, V-White dial SS Daytona, Z-GMT2C
Wife, Z-Platinum Yacht Master, Black ceramic White dial SS Daytona,
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2008, 11:03 AM   #15
krism06

Marcus,

Thanks for the instruction. However, when I tried it, the link just posted the title. Any more remedial instruction that you could assist with Sometimes I am a little slow.
krism06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2008, 09:10 PM   #16
jac67
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krism06 View Post
John,

The country was Germany and had the Rolex suit will have limited effect on eBay.

Yes, I thought it was Germany, but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

John.