The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 2 December 2014, 04:08 AM   #1
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Question for RG owners

I am in search of my next Patek. I am considering adding a RG piece to add variety to my small collection (specifically the 5980r and 5205r w/black face). So,do your RG pieces attract attention? Do you notice people noticing your watch? Do they make comments on it? Thanks.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 04:39 AM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
I am in search of my next Patek. I am considering adding a RG piece to add variety to my small collection (specifically the 5980r and 5205r w/black face). So,do your RG pieces attract attention? Do you notice people noticing your watch? Do they make comments on it? Thanks.
Honestly I have a RG Daytona 116515, on leather strap, and I can't say it attracts attention or that I get comments on it, but I am usually discrete when I wear it, always with long sleeves until now, of course I guess it can get attention from unwanted people, as thieves are on the lookout for such pieces, but can't say that it gets too much attention. Both pieces are great, just one is purely dress watch and the other dress/sport
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 05:02 AM   #3
Jp28
"TRF" Member

I am pretty discrete with mine also. I think most people not on a watch forum have a lot of other stuff they are more interested in! So I have not seen it get noticed more than any other watch IMO
Jp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 05:22 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp28 View Post
I am pretty discrete with mine also. I think most people not on a watch forum have a lot of other stuff they are more interested in! So I have not seen it get noticed more than any other watch IMO
Yes that's true, I always look at the watch someone wears but I think non watch aficionados don't really care and won't look at your watch...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 05:54 AM   #5
scrappy
"TRF" Member

Question for RG owners

I saw my first 5980R in the flesh last week and was surprised by how much I liked it - almost more than the 5980/1R which was next on my 'hit list'. The strap breaks up an already significant amount of gold and the dial is warm brown vs the black of the 1R. I also liked the red chrono hand.
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 05:54 AM   #6
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Will only attract attention in WIS circles. Only my SkyDweller attracts attention from non WIS's. Most people don't understand or know what a Patek is, so don't buy it to impress. Buy it because you love it.
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 06:12 AM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohorology View Post
Will only attract attention in WIS circles. Only my SkyDweller attracts attention from non WIS's. Most people don't understand or know what a Patek is, so don't buy it to impress. Buy it because you love it.
Thanks for the replies so far. I am not buying to impress. I'm conservative/understated so I am worried that the RG might attract too much unwanted attention.
Old 2 December 2014, 06:48 AM   #8
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Stands out a little more, but I don't think anyone is going to make any specific mention. Rose tones are so popular now because of all the low-end watch brands making them. It used to be that gold really stood out, doesn't seem to really be the case anymore.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far. I am not buying to impress. I'm conservative/understated so I am worried that the RG might attract too much unwanted attention.
Old 2 December 2014, 07:00 AM   #9
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

One thing I like about Pateks is that unless you are a watch guy/gal-- they do not tend to stand out. However, I do think gold watches do attract more attention in general and one of the reasons I prefer steel. I have only had a few people comment on my watches and they all Patek or watch people. I am more concerned about the thieves when walking through a city especially when i am traveling. As a result I rarely wear any of my gold pieces when i travel
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 07:45 AM   #10
stockjock1975
Banned

Watch: Platona
I used to own an AP RO in rose gold. Perhaps it was all in my mind, but I used to sense that it was drawing more attention than pieces I have worn of other metals. I never felt like a target with it on, but it did seem to catch the eye of people near by a little more than I would like.

Like many of the comments here, the average "man of the street" wouldn't know if it was of value or a gold-plated fashion watch. But I just couldn't feel comfortable wearing it.
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 08:26 AM   #11
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I have 2 RG pieces, and there is no difference for me. A full gold watch (gold bracelet) its a different story.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 09:06 AM   #12
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I have 3 RG Pateks and I tend to think Pateks don't stick out and fly a bit under radar. As stated above unless you are amongst watch fanatics who know most won't. For me love Patek RG and they have such warmth to them!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 09:27 AM   #13
paverman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Yellow gold with bracket says "look at me", but RG is much more subtle, especially on a strap. I must say that no one ever notices any of my watches, at least they don't comment to me. To be honest, no one notices them except us watch nuts.
paverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2014, 12:32 PM   #14
autohorology
"TRF" Member

I was checking into L'Hermitage Hotel in Beverly Hills back in March and I noticed an advertisement in the lobby for IWC. I asked the concierge when I was checking in if the IWC Store was on site and he said "No Sir, and judging by that beautiful Patek on your wrist, you don't need an IWC." I was wearing my 5205R-010 that I owned at the time.

I was flattered by the one and only comment I've ever received outside of a watch circle about a Patek.
Old 3 December 2014, 01:26 AM   #15
tommyz24
"TRF" Member

As of lately with all these rose gold plated 200$ Michael koors watches that everybody is wearing , nobody will even know that your patek is even real gold to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tommyz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 04:34 AM   #16
stockjock1975
Banned

Watch: Platona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz24 View Post
As of lately with all these rose gold plated 200$ Michael koors watches that everybody is wearing , nobody will even know that your patek is even real gold to begin with.

Couldn't agree more! These type of pieces are both the best.....and worst things to come along for true lovers of horology in a long time!
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 04:40 AM   #17
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Some of Burberry watches looks like Nuatilus range.. A few times my non wis friends who are not into watches thought I am wearing a Burberry but then a closer look realise it is not and that instant disappointed look - epic. I almost felt sorry that I disappointed them...
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 06:13 AM   #18
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyz24 View Post

Good point. If someone comments on my RG Patek, I can always say it's a fake Michael Kors
Old 3 December 2014, 07:01 AM   #19
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Fake and Michael Kors, lol!! I bet the fake and the real Michael Kors have exactly the same movement!! Haha.

Quote:
Good point. If someone comments on my RG Patek, I can always say it's a fake Michael Kors
Old 3 December 2014, 11:09 AM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
My gold Rolexes don't really get any attention, I think I'm going to sell them for a gold car.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 12:48 PM   #21
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I love the look of rose gold, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger just yet. I was at my AD not long ago, and they were explaining to me how patek and some Panerai models have a unique / rich shade to their rg in comparison to other brands

Maybe a vintage piece is the way for me to start
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2014, 12:52 PM   #22
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I handled a 5205r in the metal (finally) at an AD a few weeks ago. The watch is shockingly pretty but it certainly is large and it draws the eye, not a stealth watch in the black dial I'd say. The color of the gold is beautifully muted, almost like between WG and what you would typically consider RG. And those lugs...my god those lugs!
soundserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2014, 04:49 AM   #23
kb24
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC 26320 Black
i am a watch enthusiast and i do notice RG pieces.. currently im not in the state of mind to wear a RG piece myself as i kind of prefer steel however i do fancy how beautiful a RG piece looks..

last week i noticed a fellow acquaintance wearing a PP 5980r and i can say it definitely caught my attention however i didnt compliment / speak to him about it..

so my verdict: RG pieces are beautiful and will catch attention (especially of watch collectors) but its not the type of attention that would shy you away from wearing one..

though, i could be wrong depending on the circle and lifestyle each person rolls in..
Old 4 December 2014, 06:22 AM   #24
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
I handled a 5205r in the metal (finally) at an AD a few weeks ago. The watch is shockingly pretty but it certainly is large and it draws the eye, not a stealth watch in the black dial I'd say. The color of the gold is beautifully muted, almost like between WG and what you would typically consider RG. And those lugs...my god those lugs!
I saw the 5205r in white dial and it is pretty understated. I can see the black dial version having more "pop" due to the contrast between the RG and black dial.