The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 December 2014, 09:56 AM   #1
tramtrist
"TRF" Member

Path to Rolex

I purchased my first Rolex Saturday and wanted to put together a post for those new buyers who may be going through a similar thing. This may end up being a long post (apologies) so if you want you can just skip to the question at the end :p

About 5 years ago my wife and I committed to buying a nice watch which I could wear to work daily if I ever hit a certain career/life goal. Well I hit that goal in October.

For the last 2 months I've been trying to decide which watch to get. Everything from Shinola (I'm from Det) to Rolex. Price was a factor of course but not as much as practicality and style.

Over the next couple months I did what a lot of people do and combed the internet for information about brands, movements, perceived value, resale etc and basically landed on the Speedmaster. Mind you I had not SEEN a single watch yet.
Went to Omega store. Put the Speedmaster on. Looked awful. Hated it. I have a 6.5" wrist and it looked like I had a saucer on my arm. Realized 2 things here:
1) Have to look at every watch I am considering to buy
2) I had a completely different style in mind than what I originally thought. I wanted something clean/classic.

Over the next few weeks I looked at various other brands/watches. Tried them all on, consulted the wife, etc.

I walked into my AD on a whim (saw a sign in the mall) with my wife on Saturday without thinking of buying anything and tried on both the Air King and the Explorer 1. I also tried on a couple Omegas just to compare. On my small wrists both Rolex looked perfect and neither was a watch I had previously seriously considered from browsing on the internet. I realized while I was standing there what I really wanted which was something that fit my personality, met the purpose of buying the watch (to wear until I die and while working to that goal..) and to invest in something that would stand the test of time. I purchased the 114200 Silver Air King Oyster Perpetual.

The reason I'm writing all this is I hope new buyers of any type of watch do their homework and (ironically) not make decisions based off what they read on the internet. You have to try on what you want to buy and you have to hold your opinion until you've done some sampling. It seems so silly but in this day and age when people do everything online it's ridiculous not to.

If you haven't clicked out yet..... My question is related to the Air King. Is it being completely discontinued or simply renamed? I see on the Omega website 114200 is listed as the Oyster Pearl now. What is the difference? Also did I make a silly choice by not waiting until 2015 for the Oyster Pearl without the Air King label? I love the watch which is all that really matters but I'm not sure if I should be bummed out that I didn't get the 'latest' version. Were there any changes in the non 'Air King' labeled watch?

Ok I guess that's like .. 5 questions..
Thanks
tramtrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Banned

very nice post! the speedmaster you tried on was one of those automatic ones I bet they are bigger than the hand wind ones. the classic 3570.50 is small and looks great on my 6" wrist:

http://i.imgur.com/oFmewFV.jpg

I completely agree with you about trying them on! I went to my local AD and fell in love with the 14060 sub, so I am getting one.

Welcome to TRF!
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 10:22 AM   #3
tramtrist
"TRF" Member

Thanks 997
Now that I think about it .. it was the moon watch 42mm. Didn't look good on my boney arms
Old 8 December 2014, 10:50 AM   #4
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Congratulations..... Let's see a picture of it please. Wear it in good health for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Invictus Maneo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Welcome to TRF and the wonderful world of owning a Rolex. I can almost guarantee that if you hang around here you'll be wanting to acquire another one (two, three......).
Invictus Maneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 11:03 AM   #6
tramtrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurphy View Post
Congratulations..... Let's see a picture of it please. Wear it in good health for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me know if the link doesnt work :p

https://box.tramtrist.com/cloud/publ...adad4f07ed7662
Old 8 December 2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtrist View Post
Let me know if the link doesnt work :p

https://box.tramtrist.com/cloud/publ...adad4f07ed7662

here's the pic: nice air king

997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 12:17 PM   #8
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice post and watch! Congrats!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 12:20 PM   #9
DKS2375
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT & DJ
It looks like a perfect fit. Congratulations on your first Rolex.
DKS2375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 12:26 PM   #10
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
OP ~ Congrats on your Air-King! The Air-King is such a classic that looks great on your wrist.

I also think it's great that you did your due diligence and bought the watch which sang to you the most! The only opinion that matters in this situation is yours.

Enjoy your Air-King in good health!

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 12:27 PM   #11
tramtrist
"TRF" Member

Thanks all.
Just realized through another thread that the oyster pearl is 36mm. I guess that's the difference. Too bad they didn't have it there to compare but I doubt I'd trade either way. Maybe I SHOULD start a collection :D
Old 8 December 2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Congrats. Love the AK and it looks good on you.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 12:47 PM   #13
namussuz bilo
Banned

congrats
namussuz bilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 01:04 PM   #14
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Congrats perfect.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 01:07 PM   #15
rg9390
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona SS
Great choice! Congrats!
Old 8 December 2014, 01:34 PM   #16
seand442
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Glad you got what you wanted and not what a bunch of guys on the Internet said you should.
Old 8 December 2014, 02:21 PM   #17
wdin
"TRF" Member

congrats on the acquisition!

the word "air king" on the dial is either you love it or hate it.

and I think you were referring to the oyster perpetual that are 36mm without any date. your air-king is 34mm.
and yes, there are some slight differences (to me at least) in terms of wear and overall look/feel between those two to actually consider getting them both and as you said, "should start a collection".. amazing how 2mm changes perception.

anyhow, the current oyster perpetuals do not have a 3-6-9 on the dial. they only come with stick dials. though i'm not saying you can't find stock in AD for it.. but they've been discontinued I think.

and as for you saying that you should have "waited for basel 2015"... hey, some of us here go with the mantra You Only Live Once (YOLO)... so just snap up what sings to you there and then... and come basel 2015, add/flip/sell ... that's what most of us do here as this is indeed an addictive hobby.

again, congratulations on the timepiece and welcome to TRF!

P.S. post by Adam on the airking here>> http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=376078
wdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 02:23 PM   #18
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116900
The Air King is a watch with some history to it and it's a shame that it is being discontinued.

A 34mm Oyster Perpetual is not an Air King, no matter how many people may tell you otherwise.

A 34mm Oyster Perpetual is a 34mm Oyster Perpetual.

Congratulations on your choice. I think you'll like it better as the years roll by.

I'd also note that internet research is a smart thing to do, but nothing beats trying on watches personally. The internet is good for data. The showroom is where you put metal to flesh and experience the real thing.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2014, 02:27 PM   #19
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Very nice! Congrats.
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air king