The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 January 2015, 11:38 AM   #1
stxfan10
"TRF" Member

Vintage Tudor from an Italian Seller

I found the below Tudor Sub 79090 from the 1980s on Chrono24.

http://www.chrono24.com/en/tudor/pri...ch%2Findex.htm

Like any other online source I am trying to buy the vendor, not just the watch.
Based on the website below they appear to be a legit purveyor of fine time pieces with a brick and mortar store in Bologna, Italy.

http://www.mariobaroncini.com/site/orologi.php

I have communicated several times with the seller via email and they seem to speak decent English.
They offer payment via PayPal and a 2 year service warranty, so there is a bit of protection in case the watch isn't as anticipated.

Does anyone have any experience purchasing watches from European sellers via Chrono24 or a similar site?
Anything else to watch for during the process?

Thank you for the advice.
stxfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 01:25 PM   #2
Tudor Guy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue 76100
I don't know the seller, but that is a lot of money. Looks like a nice watch.
Tudor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 01:30 PM   #3
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Italian grey dealer market is huge and there are a lot of well known experts.

Now, always difficult to be 100% sure of the quality of the watch as soon as you cannot see it in real.

Always ask for extra pictures of the movment for example.

Good luck
MATCH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 01:32 PM   #4
Lgear080
Banned

Watch is ok, but find a local one. Price is meh.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 01:47 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
Price is ok, but no bargain. Not worth the risk, IMO. Try HQ Milton.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

If Tudor import laws are the same as Rolex, I'd think twice before buying one from outside of the USA. It could be seized at customs. Just FYI.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 02:30 PM   #7
JohnAndrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 16803,79170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
If Tudor import laws are the same as Rolex, I'd think twice before buying one from outside of the USA. It could be seized at customs. Just FYI.
I've purchased four Tudors from outside the US with no issues, when they were shipped here.
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 02:33 PM   #8
stxfan10
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately it seems there haven't been many true deals on Tudor Subs recently.

HQ Milton had one for sale last week, but it sold in less than a day.
It was selling with box and papers, though it was still priced at $3600.

http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1995...box-and-papers

The only ones on EBay are buy it now for $3500+

I'll just have to be patient.
Old 6 January 2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
I doubt very much that there is a "tudor" or "rolex" import law that was actually presented or passed by congress... I am sure it would have been all over the news, no to say Rolex doesn't have that type of power. Maybe a little bit of an urban legend mixed with some real facts. Anyways, I actually did a little bit of research all one need to do is go to the source: the U.S custom website.

There is nothing about Rolex in particular, However the custom and border protection office does enforce "trademarked and Copyrighted articles". It's not against the law to bring a Rolex bought elsewhere, it is against the law to bring in a fake rolex in the U.S. So it you bought a Rolex elsewhere, have the papers that proves it's not a fake and I believe if it's over 10K, you need to declare it. I would imagine that If you buy a watch from overseas, it needs to come with the papers when shipped as well. There are trades agreement between countries, and I assure you Rolex doesn't have a "special exemption" to them. Vintage watches may be exempt from taxation. I know antiques and art work are.

The watch looks nice and the price seems right.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, and I am not a lawyer. If you need legal advice contact a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
I doubt very much that there is a "tudor" or "rolex" import law that was actually presented or passed by congress... I am sure it would have been all over the news, no to say Rolex doesn't have that type of power. Maybe a little bit of an urban legend mixed with some real facts. Anyways, I actually did a little bit of research all one need to do is go to the source: the U.S custom website.

There is nothing about Rolex in particular, However the custom and border protection office does enforce "trademarked and Copyrighted articles". It's not against the law to bring a Rolex bought elsewhere, it is against the law to bring in a fake rolex in the U.S. So it you bought a Rolex elsewhere, have the papers that proves it's not a fake and I believe if it's over 10K, you need to declare it. I would imagine that If you buy a watch from overseas, it needs to come with the papers when shipped as well. There are trades agreement between countries, and I assure you Rolex doesn't have a "special exemption" to them. Vintage watches may be exempt from taxation. I know antiques and art work are.

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, and I am not a lawyer. If you need legal advice contact a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.
Seen this? http://www.crownandcaliber.com/watch...united-states/
Old 6 January 2015, 02:51 PM   #11
stxfan10
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Price is ok, but no bargain. Not worth the risk, IMO. Try HQ Milton.

They had a mid nineties for sale last week but it sold in less than a day.
It had the box and papers, though they were asking $3600 including shipping and insurance.

http://www.hqmilton.com/watches/1995...box-and-papers

Seems like finding deals on Tudor subs is tough today
Old 6 January 2015, 06:01 PM   #12
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This has been discussed extensively you cannot import by post, only one watch on the wrist.
Old 7 January 2015, 05:53 PM   #13
TudorSnowflake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Heritage Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Try HQ Milton.
They appear to install newer bits on their watches and don't disclose it.

Beware.

I found mine on eBay.

Beware x5 there.
TudorSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2015, 06:08 PM   #14
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TudorSnowflake View Post
They appear to install newer bits on their watches and don't disclose it.

Beware.

I found mine on eBay.

Beware x5 there.
Care to explain further? That's a pretty serious allegation.
Old 7 January 2015, 06:27 PM   #15
MonBK
Banned

Quote:

You need to study this subject further!
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote