The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 7 August 2015, 08:20 AM   #1
hunterp27
Banned

Watch: WG 18039 Day/Date
Emails to scammers/thieves and otherwise jackwagons

Looks like the emails and reporting are working gang.......reporting helps a ton but letting these thieves know somebody is watching usually scares all but the most brazen of them, off. I appreciate everyone who helps do this. Of course the percentage of impact on the overall fake/replica market it's infintesimal, however I enjoy disrupting a dishonest persons day and potentially helping some schlub keep from needing to get his 5-hole resleeved. Of course that's way down on the list as they should do far more investigation before blindly and wildly bidding on an expensive luxury item such as a watch. Still though, I've never cared for blaming a crime on the victim in almost any circumstance. By sending an email to the seller, it seems to alert them to the fact that they are being watched and they really don't know by who.......reporting to eBay seems to be a hit or miss thing and I sure as heck cannot figure out any cadence to their routine. I'm certain we will all tire of this at some point but for now lets keep swinging at these clowns who think they have come up with clever plans to sell a fake Rolex.
hunterp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 09:03 AM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
I report the crap I see on eBay, usually doesn't help though. I'm to the point where I report and move on. I don't follow up
Old 7 August 2015, 12:25 PM   #3
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
The laws need to change too in the entire world to protect the victims

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 12:35 PM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterp27 View Post
Looks like the emails and reporting are working gang.......reporting helps a ton but letting these thieves know somebody is watching usually scares all but the most brazen of them, off. I appreciate everyone who helps do this. Of course the percentage of impact on the overall fake/replica market it's infintesimal, however I enjoy disrupting a dishonest persons day and potentially helping some schlub keep from needing to get his 5-hole resleeved. Of course that's way down on the list as they should do far more investigation before blindly and wildly bidding on an expensive luxury item such as a watch. Still though, I've never cared for blaming a crime on the victim in almost any circumstance. By sending an email to the seller, it seems to alert them to the fact that they are being watched and they really don't know by who.......reporting to eBay seems to be a hit or miss thing and I sure as heck cannot figure out any cadence to their routine. I'm certain we will all tire of this at some point but for now lets keep swinging at these clowns who think they have come up with clever plans to sell a fake Rolex.

Never give up when your doing the right thing. We had a few enhanced reporters on eBay as members. I was offered up for the program by another member who was involved in this programs beginnings. However as I sold watches on eBay at the time its was thought it was a conflict of interest by eBay and I did not get the privilege bestowed on me by eBay. A enhanced reporter can report it and it's gone. Where they all went I don't know we had at least 3 members I know of
Old 7 August 2015, 12:47 PM   #5
hunterp27
Banned

Lets figure out to revive the program

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Never give up when your doing the right thing. We had a few enhanced reporters on eBay as members. I was offered up for the program by another member who was involved in this programs beginnings. However as I sold watches on eBay at the time its was thought it was a conflict of interest by eBay and I did not get the privilege bestowed on me by eBay. A enhanced reporter can report it and it's gone. Where they all went I don't know we had at least 3 members I know of
If you can help us to learn more of the details and how it works, maybe we could revive the program and stop these thieves in their tracks. Seems like a super way to shut things down immediately without eBay having to be the gatekeeper. That would be nice power to wield for these courageous crooks that perpetrate these frauds daily.
Old 7 August 2015, 03:39 PM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you can help us to learn more of the details and how it works, maybe we could revive the program and stop these thieves in their tracks. Seems like a super way to shut things down immediately without eBay having to be the gatekeeper. That would be nice power to wield for these courageous crooks that perpetrate these frauds daily.

It's a invite only program and members are told to deny its existence if asked if they are involved but it exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 August 2015, 11:39 PM   #7
hunterp27
Banned

Alright David, I feel the sensitive nature of what you are saying and we can let it drop where it sits. I will do some investigating on my own and see where it leads. If that program is no longer running, I see a real business opportunity here as I am certain this has real costs associated with it in terms of loss, litigation and pure hassle factor for eBay. It extends far past Rolex as well.....it's all upscale watch brands. Thx for making us aware of its clandestine existence.
Old 8 August 2015, 09:29 AM   #8
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Alright David, I feel the sensitive nature of what you are saying and we can let it drop where it sits. I will do some investigating on my own and see where it leads. If that program is no longer running, I see a real business opportunity here as I am certain this has real costs associated with it in terms of loss, litigation and pure hassle factor for eBay. It extends far past Rolex as well.....it's all upscale watch brands. Thx for making us aware of its clandestine existence.

Pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 August 2015, 11:57 AM   #9
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Jackwagons, totally funny btw

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2015, 02:51 AM   #10
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
It's funny that some people think this forum has now become a waste of time because "obvious" fakes are posted instead of just suspicious/hard-to-tell pieces.

I posted this thread in the Open Discussion Forum (I actually meant to place it in the General Discussion Forum to attract more attention but my mistake) actually commending the work of the people who contribute to this Watchout! forum on a regular basis:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=425614

But like I said, some members seem to think that the forum lost its focus with all of the new posts. I, for one, disagree, and I'm very happy to learn from everyone's expertise. Moreover, I think it's all the more important that the 'obvious' ones are pointed out:
1) To help people report them to eBay or their respected site from which they originated, and
2) Even the 'obvious' fakes may not be so obvious to newcomers, and I can include myself in that category. I've probably vested about 500 hours (which is not a lot, but it's a big head start) educating myself on what a fake is and different things to look for, and it was all the harder for a guy like me since I was looking at buying one of the more rare pieces out there. (OQ)

So once again, good work everyone! People may not say it all the time but it does not go unnoticed and we are thankful for your contributions.
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2015, 03:12 AM   #11
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by haven_seeker View Post
It's funny that some people think this forum has now become a waste of time because "obvious" fakes are posted instead of just suspicious/hard-to-tell pieces.

I posted this thread in the Open Discussion Forum (I actually meant to place it in the General Discussion Forum to attract more attention but my mistake) actually commending the work of the people who contribute to this Watchout! forum on a regular basis:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=425614

But like I said, some members seem to think that the forum lost its focus with all of the new posts. I, for one, disagree, and I'm very happy to learn from everyone's expertise. Moreover, I think it's all the more important that the 'obvious' ones are pointed out:
1) To help people report them to eBay or their respected site from which they originated, and
2) Even the 'obvious' fakes may not be so obvious to newcomers, and I can include myself in that category. I've probably vested about 500 hours (which is not a lot, but it's a big head start) educating myself on what a fake is and different things to look for, and it was all the harder for a guy like me since I was looking at buying one of the more rare pieces out there. (OQ)

So once again, good work everyone! People may not say it all the time but it does not go unnoticed and we are thankful for your contributions.
Agree.
Many of these "obvious" fakes actually have bidding wars going on so clearly they are not that obvious to all.
I think posting them is truly beneficial to the forum.
Worse case scenario, it's like giving a dead man an enema. If it doesn't work, it sure as heck won't hurt.
123Blueface is online now   Reply With Quote