The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 29 October 2015, 07:25 PM   #1
ast2312
"TRF" Member

My next Rolex.......or Omega

Hi All - Having posted previous threads regarding my next Rolex selection I find the advice provided by the forum members to be extremely helpful.

My search for my next watch has taken me to look at the current Rolex line up and already being an owner of a SubC and Milgauas I only really see the Explorer as an option. Another option I am considering is looking at the new Omega Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial or Aqua Terra and just wanted to get done views?

Has anyone made a jump from Rolex to the new Omega range with the Master Coaxial movement and if so how do they compare in terms of quality?

Also open to another other suggestions!

Many thanks
ast2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 08:50 PM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I prefer the AT.

It's a great all around watch.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 08:52 PM   #3
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I was having the very same dilemma a few days ago. I was between the AT, EXP I and OP 39mm. I ended up getting a Tudor Black Bay Blue.
cdmorenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 08:53 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Aesthetically the AT would be my choice. I agree with Seth, it's a great all rounder
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:01 PM   #5
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

Omega's 300 Master coaxial is a great watch. I bought one after my 114060. It's a great watch--thick and heavy, but well balanced on the wrist. The accuracy is amazing, and the fit and finish it superb.

JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:09 PM   #6
AlexMachine
"TRF" Member

I have AT Skyfall blue (not master version) 38,5mm.
It is a stunning and well balanced watch, lume is nice but quite weak... That is the only negative I have found after 7 months I have had it.

AlexMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:12 PM   #7
chris975d
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyS View Post
Omega's 300 Master coaxial is a great watch. I bought one after my 114060. It's a great watch--thick and heavy, but well balanced on the wrist. The accuracy is amazing, and the fit and finish it superb.

I'll have to echo this about the 300MC. It's my favorite diver to wear (my other divers are a 116610lv "hulk" sub and blue Tudor Pelagos). The accuracy is amazing, having been timed out over a month to less than a quarter of a second fast per day. The watch can be dressed up or down, looks great with a variety of straps as well as the OEM bracelet. And the quick adjusting clasp I like more than the glide lock of my sub actually.

The only thing I would mention to maybe be aware of going from Rolex to Omega (or any other brand really) is that most/all other brands have bracelets that don't taper as much going from watch body to clasp. That seems to be the one reoccurring noticeable trait of my omega that my "Rolex only" owning friends have mentioned when trying on the Omega.

chris975d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:18 PM   #8
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I think that the Seamaster is a beautiful watch. Love the simplicity of the dial and the ability to dress up or down like a ND sub in my opinion.

I have a Speedy with a manual and would not hesitate for a second to purchase another Omega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:21 PM   #9
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Omega has really stepped up their game in recent years. The new movements are very impressive and the new SM300 is a very well executed watch indeed.
Where I would score them down against Rolex is on case thickness - I just can't get past it on most of their models.
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2015, 09:23 PM   #10
guelerct
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Grey Side
Gotta try them on to know if you like them
The seamaster was on my list but fell flat when I tried it on (four separate times). The butterfly clasp also turned me off.
The AT is a good all arounder in my book.
guelerct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 01:51 AM   #11
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I love my AT 8500, just wish for a little bit of adjustment in the clasp.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 05:09 AM   #12
ast2312
"TRF" Member

Thanks to everyone for your contribution. I find the Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial a very interesting watch, more than the Explorer and my mind is now heading for both the 300 MC as well as the AT!
ast2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 07:53 AM   #13
drumminj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270
Quote:
Originally Posted by busytimmy View Post
Where I would score them down against Rolex is on case thickness - I just can't get past it on most of their models.
I agree and this is what I'm struggling to get used to. I have an Explorer I (114270) and just picked up a Seamaster 300 MC. Love the look of the watch, but I'm struggling with the thickness.

I have pretty small/dainty wrists, but the lug to lug length works out okay. Hoping I can get used to the overall size...
drumminj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 08:32 AM   #14
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

The Seamaster is a beautiful and refined watch and the longer I have owned it the more I have come to appreciate it. I was not going to buy it initially but glad I ended up owning one. Aesthetically it is quite pure and I don't think any other current model dive style watches can come near it. The Sub C is a lumpy looking piece by comparison, great watch but just a bit heavy handed and as I said, lumpy looking. Those in other places trying to compare the Black Bay are, well, kidding themselves! Blancpain, expensive and a bit odd in my book. Of course there are many others. I took it off the bracelet and fitted an expensive but good quality Omega NATO, black with the light grey edge trim. Don't like the five stripe "Bond" NATO, it looks like a $15 mail order strap, just wrong on this watch. The bracelet is good quality though if you like wearing bracelets. The PCL's look good, afterall it's a polished watch! The movement is reputedly a top notch piece of engineering and design and it's certainly extremely accurate. I think it's less than 1mm thicker than a Sub C so that is no great issue in the comparison.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 09:09 AM   #15
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris975d View Post
I'll have to echo this about the 300MC. It's my favorite diver to wear (my other divers are a 116610lv "hulk" sub and blue Tudor Pelagos). The accuracy is amazing, having been timed out over a month to less than a quarter of a second fast per day. The watch can be dressed up or down, looks great with a variety of straps as well as the OEM bracelet. And the quick adjusting clasp I like more than the glide lock of my sub actually.

The only thing I would mention to maybe be aware of going from Rolex to Omega (or any other brand really) is that most/all other brands have bracelets that don't taper as much going from watch body to clasp. That seems to be the one reoccurring noticeable trait of my omega that my "Rolex only" owning friends have mentioned when trying on the Omega.

Agree and I have owned 16610LV, 116610LN and SD4K in the past, and I currently own the SM300 master coaxial. I slightly prefer sub bracelet over the SM300 bracelet but all in all the omega is on par with a 114060 in terms of build quality and I like the display back on the omega. Definitely no regrets going from Rolex to Omega, especially when you factor in the price difference. Great value and I have been very happy with mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1446160190504.jpg (62.5 KB, 433 views)
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 11:57 PM   #16
Jazz ham
"TRF" Member

I have an AT Master-Co (golf) forthcoming, but will hang on to my non-diving Rolexes, including Expl. 39 and a modern AK. The Omega improvements/technology have made it hard to pass up. Will post info. next week.
Jazz ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2015, 12:09 AM   #17
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Nice watch. Wish it was bigger though.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2015, 05:17 AM   #18
ernie2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K+BLNR
A month or 2 ago, I almost bought the SM300. I like the vintage look but 2 things kept me from pulling the trigger.

1. The lumes are artificially darken
2. PCL

Then Tudor came out with the Black bay black and gave me the vintage vibe without the above 2 points of reservation. So I went with the Tudor.

But nonetheless, the Omega SM300 is beautiful.
ernie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2015, 07:25 AM   #19
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie2 View Post
A month or 2 ago, I almost bought the SM300. I like the vintage look but 2 things kept me from pulling the trigger.

1. The lumes are artificially darken
2. PCL

Then Tudor came out with the Black bay black and gave me the vintage vibe without the above 2 points of reservation. So I went with the Tudor.

But nonetheless, the Omega SM300 is beautiful.
I really don't get the criticism about the lume and the Black Bay comparison. The entire Black Bay watch in concept, design and ultimately in it's actual manifestation is a vintage style concoction, unashamedly so. Nearly every element is harking back to some part of Tudor design history like the font and the rose which are elements Tudor has not used in decades, hence the Heritage moniker. I have no problem with these elements on either watch.

The Omega though is a thoroughly modern watch in it's technical specification whereas the Tudor is essentially 1970's technology and in that sense it is more truly 'vintage'.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2015, 07:52 AM   #20
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ320 View Post
Agree and I have owned 16610LV, 116610LN and SD4K in the past, and I currently own the SM300 master coaxial. I slightly prefer sub bracelet over the SM300 bracelet but all in all the omega is on par with a 114060 in terms of build quality and I like the display back on the omega. Definitely no regrets going from Rolex to Omega, especially when you factor in the price difference. Great value and I have been very happy with mine.
i really love these. ive been watching the steady depreciation to the high 3s/low 4s and if the come down to $3000 used, i will prob get one. the only thing about the watch i dont like is the polished links.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2015, 10:29 PM   #21
chris975d
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmiii View Post
i really love these. ive been watching the steady depreciation to the high 3s/low 4s and if the come down to $3000 used, i will prob get one. the only thing about the watch i dont like is the polished links.

I know the new 300MC gets a lot of flak for the polished parts, but keep in mind the new is a "remake" of the original, and the the original had a good bit of polish to it as well. If I recall correctly in the couple I've handled, the old bracelet was the inverse of the new. Polished outside links instead of polished center links. This comparison photo sort of shows the original model's brushed center links and shinier outer links.

chris975d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2015, 11:10 AM   #22
Jazz ham
"TRF" Member

Icon7

UPS paid me a visit earlier today and this AT doesn't disappoint. The dial is amazing! The movement, appears, on paper to "trump" Rolex, but time will tell if it can, or will be ( to me) a "Rolex killer". The Captain will be stealing wrist time from the others but I can't see not having at least 1 Rolex in the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0976.jpg (88.0 KB, 209 views)
Jazz ham is offline   Reply With Quote