The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 March 2016, 10:13 PM   #1
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

Am I expecting too much accuracy

I recently bought a day date. It's early 90s but looks almost brand new.

After a couple of days I realise it's gaining about 6 seconds a day. That's whilst being worn all day from 6 am till 10 pm. And the rest of the time in the sock drawer.

I've had a few watches, omega, Cartier etc. That kept really bad time.
So maybe it's just me or should I expect better from a 25 yo Rolex?

The thing I noticed most is the time gain seems to happen overnight.
Wilpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:15 PM   #2
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
Has it been serviced recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
playmore009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:18 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Do you know the service history of the watch?

You could have it regulated to try for better accuracy. -4 to +6 is within cosc specs, so id say it's keeping decent time.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:25 PM   #4
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

I suppose it's on the edge of the cosc standard.

The seller has serviced it but that not a Rolex service, although I guess we are talking one minute a week here which for 25 years old is not terrible.

Can it be regulated as part of a service?
Old 26 March 2016, 10:26 PM   #5
therolexguy

Remember, you can always try to lay it down in different positions at night and it will usually gain or lose based on the way it is laid down. I swear by this but others I don't think believe it as much.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458995193.174737.jpg
therolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:32 PM   #6
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

Yes I read that. I always leave my watches face up.
I will try the lay it sideways with winder up position and see if it works at all.
Old 26 March 2016, 10:38 PM   #7
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Agree try to self regulate. Take it to a watchmaker and have him put it on timegrapher in the 6 positions. U can leave it in whichever position it is running the slowest to self regulate. If it's that important to you then you can get it regulated which is easy and, depending on your relationship with the watchmaker may be free and take a couple hours or it may cost $50 and take a few days. You can also rest easy knowing it's running fast and it's not that hard to hack the movement to reset it (as opposed to having to reset the time every week if the watch is running slow). you have options.
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:43 PM   #8
77T

Am I expecting too much accuracy

If you are concerned that the service was sub-par, perhaps take it to AD for a quick check and adjustment.
If not, and the watchmaker who last serviced is nearby, s/he might do a free adjustment. For 6sec I'd not worry - and it's possibly as good as it will get.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 10:49 PM   #9
Andad

Watch: A few.
As Todd has said, you can regulate your Rolex by position and I have found that this works with my older Rolex models but not so much for the new movements.
Six seconds/day is good IMO for your old movement and would by happy with that.
It could by brought up to a better average s/d if you want to spend the $$$'s.
I'd go with JTT (albmich).

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:10 PM   #10
zion_rasta
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II ceramic
If you can not be late to that meeting then set up a 15 min warning on your phone.
Enjoy the watch.
Sold - Daytona 116523; YM 116622; Datejust 16233
zion_rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:27 PM   #11
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by zion_rasta View Post
If you can not be late to that meeting then set up a 15 min warning on your phone.
Enjoy the watch.
He noted his watch is running fast. So how would it be possible to be late for a meeting
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:47 PM   #12
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I like the older models and I tend to think that you have to factor an RSC service into the cost soon after purchase. (unless it is a rare situation where they have had one)
I could tolerate 6 seconds but I'd want to be sure that was the best I could get out of the watch.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2016, 11:54 PM   #13
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpert View Post
Yes I read that. I always leave my watches face up.
I will try the lay it sideways with winder up position and see if it works at all.
Crown up at night should take care of your timing issues. Give it a week before you make any determination.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 01:02 AM   #14
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
You can always have it regulated if +6 is not to your liking...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 01:40 AM   #15
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm thinking its not really a big deal, I suppose I was also thinking that the service that the seller tells me he had done, may not have been a service but more of a check over, given that he knew it was pretty much already a done deal, as I was happy with the watch and the price.

I will go for the RS but wait a couple of months as I feel i will have a clearer picture of what is really happening by this time.

If it gets to a stage where it started gaining a lot of time, then i would go back to the seller and have a moan but i feel (having taken on board your views) that maybe ?I am expecting a tad too much and looking at the watch a bit too much :)
Old 27 March 2016, 01:47 AM   #16
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. IMHO 6 sec a day isn't bad. Hack it once a week and at least if you go exactly by the watch you will only be early. My ~2 month old SD4k was within 2 seconds of the atomic clock I set it by on March 1 but in the last 3 days I have lost about 2 sec a day form some reason but I'm still very happy with that. IMHO if I need to be 10000% accurate I'll use my iPhone.

gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 04:19 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .
Can it be regulated as part of a service?
It can be regulated any time, and now is the time..

It's cheap and shouldn't take long at all for any watchmaker to regulate it for you.
Old 27 March 2016, 05:03 AM   #18
Memphis
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
I would have it regulated.

Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 07:06 AM   #19
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

Update:
I've actually now had a chance to closely monitor this watch and I'm pretty certain that laying in vertically, crown up, has no effect on the timekeeping, I.e. It doesn't slow it down at all.

I'm also pretty sure that it runs fast by around 10 seconds a day which is disappointing.

I will contact the seller tomorrow but I don't feel too confident to ask him to have it regulated and I feel that, as I was planning on having it serviced after I bought it. I would rather ask Rolex service centre to service it and regulate at the same time.

I don't want to return the watch and ask for a refund as I'm thinking although not ideal, 10 seconds a day for a 25 yo watch is not a terrific amount

If Rolex tell me it's faulty, then that's a different matter, I would then go back to the seller and make a fuss.

Do folks here agree with my stance?

Please tell me what you think, I'm open to sensible Cristicism.
Old 29 March 2016, 07:13 AM   #20
themast
"TRF" Member

I think your course of action is sound.

Overall, 10s a day is not crazy and very likely it simply needs regulation. Since you do not know when it was last serviced, it makes total sense to send it in and have it regulated by Rolex. If the RSC unveil issues with the watch, then you will have to sort that out with the seller (assuming it was preexisting)
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 07:40 AM   #21
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

I will send it to Rolex.

Any problems would be pre existing as I've only had it a few days.
The seller was selling on behalf of a customer as sale or return and overall the condition is excellent. I've put it next to my wife's date just and they look the same, yet hers is new!

I've dealt with him before and he's a straight sort of bloke.
I'm a realistic sort of person and if I wanted something impeccable and perfect I'd have bought a new one for over 20k, which I understand might still not be 100 percent accurate.
Old 29 March 2016, 08:23 AM   #22
Sidmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: you, watch me!!
Quote:
I will send it to Rolex.

Any problems would be pre existing as I've only had it a few days.
You might hold up, you don't know if the watch was sitting for a few months-years. it could loosen up on its own and change, my 94' sub goes through stages where it keeps +/- zero for a few months, then +5-6 for a few weeks depending on how much I wear it.

you might just give it some wrist time and wait to see how it is in a month, ALSO you CAN change the regulation slightly by either fully winding it once a day, or never winding it and letting only the autowind do the work. one of my Rolex I can self regulate a few seconds a day by either winding or not winding. The science behind why is that a fully wound watch will swing the balance wheel differently than a 1/2 wound one, finding the sweet spot on yours can only be done by wearing it and trying a few things.
/your experience may very
//all of the above fluctuations = could use a service.
Sidmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 09:32 AM   #23
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. .
I will contact the seller tomorrow but I don't feel too confident to ask him to have it regulated and I feel that, as I was planning on having it serviced after I bought it. I would rather ask Rolex service centre to service it and regulate at the same time.

I don't want to return the watch and ask for a refund as I'm thinking although not ideal, 10 seconds a day for a 25 yo watch is not a terrific amount

If Rolex tell me it's faulty, then that's a different matter, I would then go back to the seller and make a fuss.

. . .
I don't understand this

If you were planning on having it serviced why would you contact the seller or even care that it's presently running a few seconds fast ?
Old 29 March 2016, 07:54 PM   #24
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I don't understand this

If you were planning on having it serviced why would you contact the seller or even care that it's presently running a few seconds fast ?
I would contact the seller to let him know that there may be a problem, I.e to give him a heads up so I don't just say "oh Rolex have said the watch is not right"

After all I have only had the watch a few days, perhaps I'm expecting too much, as per the initial post but I rely don't know.

I also wondered if it needs some wrist time, as the seller had 2 dd's and from the condition I feel they have not seen a lot of daylight.
Old 29 March 2016, 09:51 PM   #25
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
I would contact the seller to let him know that there may be a problem, I.e to give him a heads up so I don't just say "oh Rolex have said the watch is not right"

After all I have only had the watch a few days, perhaps I'm expecting too much, as per the initial post but I rely don't know.

I also wondered if it needs some wrist time, as the seller had 2 dd's and from the condition I feel they have not seen a lot of daylight.
Wilpert, relax, nothing wrong, 10 seconds off is still 99.99 % accuracy and in itself no reason for a full service. Even a brand new piece can be that far off. Just bring it to any watchmaker with a timing machine and you know instantly if a service is required or not.
If only a regulation it's an easy fix as has been said.
Perhaps you suffer from buyers remorse, fair enough, than simply ask the seller if he wants to take it back.
Old 29 March 2016, 10:45 PM   #26
nobbylon
Banned

Watch: DSSD
My Submariner ran at approx +6 a day from new in '86 until it's service 10 years later when it ran exactly the same! The last service was 2001 and it's run at +2-3 since and still does. No plans to service, it's had a pressure check and still passes easily. I stopped wearing it 5 years ago so it's only had 10 years on the last service. Recently I'm wearing again on and off and it's still +2-3 fast per day.
Personally I wouldn't worry as chances are it will be the same after you've spent a load of cash on it. There seams to be a lot of service paranoia and OCD in Rolex circles with everyone worrying about dry oils and worn gears. I was told I should service it every 5-7 years because otherwise it would wear out bla bla bla. I haven't and it still runs dare I say 'like a swiss watch'. My unserviced Seiko 5 has run for 43 years and still runs 'like a japanese watch' !
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2016, 11:13 PM   #27
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

Thanks for replies,
Definitely no buyers remorse, I love the watch and wear it all the time.
I'm like a lot of peeps, I tinker and polish and look and look and just like things to be right.

I'm the same with cars, I bring em home after I've bought them and have them and polish them on the drive, having convinced my missus that they just needed a final clean. Boys and toys and all that.

I'm now thinking I will wait a few weeks more then decide if I have the service.
I reckon a service will be helpful to at least get Rolex certification.

Btw, I'm now looking at a vintage dj with black dial but I'm not sure how to convince swmbo that I need it.
Old 2 April 2016, 09:59 PM   #28
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

Update,
I called the seller, he said just drop it in the shop and I'll sort it out.
Picked it up next day and now is just 6 seconds a day fast !

I think I'll live with that for now until I take it to rsc.

I know some people will probably say it's still not good enough but I'm kind of thinking that I could mess about with it too much and just for the sake of a few seconds.
Old 2 April 2016, 10:40 PM   #29
LitzDoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update,
I called the seller, he said just drop it in the shop and I'll sort it out.
Picked it up next day and now is just 6 seconds a day fast !

I think I'll live with that for now until I take it to rsc.

I know some people will probably say it's still not good enough but I'm kind of thinking that I could mess about with it too much and just for the sake of a few seconds.
The enemy of "good" is "better". I have learned this the hard way. Enjoy the watch. Revisit the possibility of regulation in a year.
LitzDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2016, 11:44 PM   #30
Wilpert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitzDoc View Post
The enemy of "good" is "better". I have learned this the hard way. Enjoy the watch. Revisit the possibility of regulation in a year.
What about service would you bother with that if the accuracy has improved?
Not sure I want to keep opening and closing my watch.