The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 July 2008, 03:19 AM   #1
cbsmohai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
My T<25 dial is officially toast

So, I have a bit of a dilemma. The tritium on my dial is all but gone. You can't even see it well if you're looking at it after letting your eyes adjust. It's just black. Would you want the original dial on your watch or one that glowed?

I'd actually like to be able to read my watch in the dark and unfortunately that would require me sending it to RSC. So, firstly, my dial looks completely immaculate. No patina, or yellowing of any sort. Almost looks as if it's been redone already but maybe the original owner decided to tell Rolex not to swap dials to a SuperLum dial.

How much would RSC charge me for this service (assuming they replaced the dial simply because it didn't glow at all anymore)

It's almost been running kinda fast lately and it's upsetting me that my 30+ year old Exp II keeps better time.
cbsmohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Personally I like tritium dials.

I've never been able to really see a clear time at night except with a very bright time-piece.

I usually angle the watch so I get some sort of illumination from somewhere, so I really don't see all the fuss..

It's one of those personal preference things.. However, original does retain a bit more value if you're ever in the collector arena..
Old 14 July 2008, 05:05 AM   #3
stevemulholland3
Banned

Watch: 1680 18k sub
I personally would want a brand spankin new dial that glows like a spot-light.
stevemulholland3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 05:06 AM   #4
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemulholland3 View Post
I personally would want a brand spankin new dial that glows like a spot-light.
For a 30 seconds or something

Sometimes i am feeling depressed when i see how poor rolex lume is

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 05:24 AM   #5
Mike B
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Omega SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostie View Post
For a 30 seconds or something

Sometimes i am feeling depressed when i see how poor rolex lume is

I agree. My Omega SMP glows great, but still, as the Sub., does not last that long at all. I would just keep the original dial.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmohai View Post

So, I have a bit of a dilemma. The tritium on my dial is all but gone. You can't even see it well if you're looking at it after letting your eyes adjust. It's just black. Would you want the original dial on your watch or one that glowed?

I'd actually like to be able to read my watch in the dark and unfortunately that would require me sending it to RSC. So, firstly, my dial looks completely immaculate. No patina, or yellowing of any sort. Almost looks as if it's been redone already but maybe the original owner decided to tell Rolex not to swap dials to a SuperLum dial.

How much would RSC charge me for this service (assuming they replaced the dial simply because it didn't glow at all anymore)

It's almost been running kinda fast lately and it's upsetting me that my 30+ year old Exp II keeps better time.

Keep your original dial and buy a Seiko Monster loads of lume and cheaper than a new Rolex dial
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 06:02 AM   #7
cbsmohai
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date 16610
I like the Monster, just hate that the black monsters bezel isn't also..well...black.

Anyhow...I think I'm going to start putting the pennies towards a new Ball Watch Engineer Master II Diver. The internal bezel and ultra lume has officially sealed the deal for me.

Well, that or a sell my Sub and figure out how in the hell to get this thing. Anyone have sticker or a location on one of these?

Apparently it was just announced this year.
cbsmohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsmohai View Post
I like the Monster, just hate that the black monsters bezel isn't also..well...black.

Anyhow...I think I'm going to start putting the pennies towards a new Ball Watch Engineer Master II Diver. The internal bezel and ultra lume has officially sealed the deal for me.

Well, that or a sell my Sub and figure out how in the hell to get this thing. Anyone have sticker or a location on one of these?

Apparently it was just announced this year.

Now that is some serious PVD
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 07:06 AM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

Travis,

It's the dilemma of originality vs. functionality. A service replacement dial will certainly offer a measure of luminosity, but at the cost of some valuation to the collector. How much depends on several things, among others the particular rarity/desirability of the reference and age of the reference.

I don't recall the age/reference of the Sub. you're refering to but it is something to keep in mind. I'm one of those that feel a service replacement dial in some cases is fine if compared to a damaged dial as it breaths some new life into a watch and allows it to be functional again. However; you indicate this one is in excellent condition and depending on particulars might be best left alone if value is something to preserve.

Also note that Rolex will replace with the most current option available at the time. This may or may not have it's own impact on total value. IMO the replacement of a mint matt dial on a reference that later changed to one of gloss with WG surrounds will have a greater impact than if the watch originality came with a gloss with trit/WGs.

Good luck.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 07:51 AM   #10
Troy
Banned

Watch: Tudor Sub. 7928
1969 Tudor rose

My dial still glows nicely must be that it sat in the dark for 20 years having a broken spring got it fixed runs as new
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 08:04 AM   #11
Joode
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
My T series Sea Dweller is in the same boat, the tritium is completely dead but there isn't any hint of discoloration to speak of; I actually had it sent the RSC in HK for it's routine checkup last summer and they left my dial alone. I guess you have to specifically ask for the luminova replacement...

On another note, sometimes I find myself using my cellphone to illuminate the dial on my watch to check the time instead of simply just looking at my cellphone. A complete reversal in trends when you think about it, ie people replacing wrist watches with cellphones .
Joode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 08:49 AM   #12
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
I guess you have two options. You can renew your old dial(not recommended to keep the value of the watch) or purchase a modern dial but keep you old one. Good luck.
Old 14 July 2008, 02:38 PM   #13
k4vks
"TRF" Member

would RSC replace the dial with the new Luminova dial AND still send ure old tritium dial back to you if you ask for it?

73's
AJ4VS (new callsign)
k4vks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2008, 08:54 PM   #14
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4vks View Post
would RSC replace the dial with the new Luminova dial AND still send ure old tritium dial back to you if you ask for it?
No. Rolex USA and Rolex Canada do not return replaced parts.
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote