The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 July 2008, 01:22 AM   #1
kit
"TRF" Member

power reserve of DJ is only 20 hours

I just got a new DJ 116234 last month. I wear it all day long (8-10 hrs.) but after that it will stop running within less than a day. This has happened twice. I thought the power reserve was 48-72 hours? Is there something wrong with my watch?

Another question is if I wanted to service my Rolex watch. Should I trust the nearest AD or should I send it to the Rolex Center in LA or Dallas? (I'm in Denver) If I send it, what could you recommend on packaging, insurance, etc?
kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 01:36 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's likely that there is nothing wrong with your watch.....

It's simply not fully wound.. Wind it fully, about 40 full winds, and do this any time it is off your wrist for more than 24 hours.

For most of us, wearing it daily will only give it about 12-20 hours of power. It is expected that this will "top-off" a fully wound watch, but it is not likely to fully wind one from a dead stop.

Additionally, if your movement does not top it off fully, then each day you wear it you will lose an hour or so of power reserve until you get down to the point where the only power in it is what you give it with each wearing...
Old 16 July 2008, 07:12 AM   #3
sini1717
"TRF" Member

Watch: WHITE FACE DAYTONA
my farther has a day date 15yrs old anyhow he is 80 and not moving very much due to his heart problems THE watch keeps stopping its been back to rolex 2x now it stopped again yesterday morn so i gave it a full wind and its OK taking into account his very slow and limited movement do u think this is normal if so how long do u think it will be before it needs another wind
sini1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2008, 07:18 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by sini1717 View Post
my farther has a day date 15yrs old anyhow he is 80 and not moving very much due to his heart problems THE watch keeps stopping its been back to rolex 2x now it stopped again yesterday morn so i gave it a full wind and its OK taking into account his very slow and limited movement do u think this is normal if so how long do u think it will be before it needs another wind
You need to know how often it stops and plan from there..

if it stops every 5 days, then it should be wound every 4, or if it stops every 10 days, then maybe once a week on Sundays...or somethng like that.

I was ill for two week a couple of years ago and I finally just took my watch off because it wouldn't stay running.......I just didn't move enough...
Old 16 July 2008, 07:20 AM   #5
sini1717
"TRF" Member

sorry guys ! i meant to include Larry's post in mine and also say that it may be normal if my dads is anything to go by in reply to kit!
Old 16 July 2008, 07:24 AM   #6
sini1717
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You need to know how often it stops and plan from there..

if it stops every 5 days, then it should be wound every 4, or if it stops every 10 days, then maybe once a week on Sundays...or somethng like that.

I was ill for two week a couple of years ago and I finally just took my watch off because it wouldn't stay running.......I just didn't move enough...
thanks Larry was beginning to think rsc hadn't done anything to it .i will take care of it and follow your advice meny thanks again.